1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Afghanistan.

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by curiousFred, Aug 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. curiousFred

curiousFred Trusted.Member

The disaster in Afghanistan makes me wonder if America had never gone there, so many lives would have been saved, the trillions wasted could have been spent on Americans, for health services, infrastructure and education..
    Now they walked away with egg on their faces, again.
    Will these morons ever learn ?
    The Taliban had all the time in the world, it was fucking obvious that they could not lose. Sigh.

Incs, Dane and orly6666 like this.
  2. orly6666

orly6666 Trusted.Member

Well I'm sure many US corporations made a lot of money, and the very rich that actually control the country, which is why the government let 9-11 happen in the first place.

That's my assessment of the situation, but maybe I'm completely wrong....

curiousFred likes this.
  3. AnonymousB2022

AnonymousB2022 Account Deleted

A small part of the Brazilian press is criticizing the American government for leaving that country. But, it's worth saying that the criticisms are very light... I still don't have an opinion on this matter. Now, what I find funny is to see that many of the people who have been complaining about US military interventions in other countries are now complaining when the United States decides to leave a country.

My heart is not made of stone, and I am truly sorry for what Afghans are suffering and will still suffer. But I would say that the United States has the right to choose whether they want to buy this fight or not... And that doesn't mean that I think the United States should abandon that country. As I said, I still don't have an opinion about it.

curiousFred, Incs and Dane like this.
  4. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

Without US and UN involvement in the last 20 years, the USA would have had MANY terrorist attacks on our
    native soil mostly emanating from there and Iraq.

Hopefully, the Taliban has matured enough to became an actual government and not just a bunch of
    radicals out to do destruction just for the sake of destroying.

If not, look out all of the western world! Here they come!

curiousFred and AnonymousB2022 like this.
  5. itshot

itshot Trusted.Member

There's a clip from CNN with one of their journalists talking to the camera telling what's going on in Afghanistan and she has a group of Taliban behind her saying Death To American. She is saying these people seem to be very friendly

AnonymousB2022, curiousFred and Dane like this.
  6. Tacoshell34

Tacoshell34 Account Deleted

Kinda surprising that the Taliban completely overran the country within just weeks of the US forces pulling out. The US trained Afghan military was apparently 4 times as big as the Taliban at one point. This only means that the Taliban must have had some serious funding, training and strategy from an external source (clue: it is probably a Kingdom and not a Republic).

Anyway, this colossal fuck up has also put some $100 billion worth of American military hardware in the hands of the very enemy they fought against for 20 years. Good times await us :D

curiousFred, Dane and Incs like this.
  7. AnonymousB2022

China and Russia are already talking directly with the Taliban to see how things will turn out. These two countries will not withdraw their respective embassies there. And that reminds me of a very popular saying in Brazil: "The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

Now just imagine: a gigantic group of people who plan day and night to make attacks against the United States, protected by two of the most powerful nations in the world militarily speaking. Terrorist attacks on American soil that could not be responded to militarily, as this would put America not in a confrontation with mere terrorists, but with two great nations...

Given this scenario, perhaps it is better that America does not abandon its dominance over this territory. If it's true that it's an "endless war", it's also true that the American presence controls the growth of chaos in that region... So, after thinking about it, I think that abandoning that position is a colossal error from the point of view geopolitical. There is no power vacuum, and this gap will be used very well by the enemies of the United States.

curiousFred likes this.
  8. Rubber Ducky

Rubber Ducky Trusted.Member

My nation also had our army deployed in Afghanistan. The common narrative is that all our efforts and loses were in vain. As it is unfolding, an air bridge is being set up to evacuate all our fellow countrymen (and woman) and those who were of great value in the peace keeping process. Mostly the translators.

Then it is just wait and see what happens next. The Taliban is now 30 years old and I do hope they are capable of forming a government and everything that comes with running a state.

curiousFred and Dane like this.
  9. AnonymousB2022

curiousFred likes this.
  10. Rubber Ducky

The "colossal error" as you put it, probably has been made decades ago. Why target the United States? Europe also suffered under terrorist attacks but those are nothing (even combined!) to the immense 9-11 attack. Yes, they despise us too. To the Koran, everybody not believing is a sinner and should not be alive. It is because the United States always sticks their nose in the region. If they hadn't done that, the problem wouldn't be so big.

curiousFred likes this.
  11. AnonymousB2022

If the Americans hadn't done anything, the number of attacks would have been much higher...

curiousFred likes this.
  12. Rubber Ducky

Hypothetical question : if the United Stated hadn't always protected their "foreign interests", what would have happened? Since WW2, they have been military present in Korea, Lebanon, Vietnam, the Gulf Region, Somalia, Bosnia, Kosovo. Somalia, Libya, Uganda, Syria and Afghanistan. That is a lot. A lot of people made angry, a lot of reasons to attack. Minding their own business is not what the States is about.

Let me put this straight before I get a lot of flak : The United States has also fought in WW1 and WW2. This has resulted in a peaceful continent and intervention was required. I would not go on holiday to all other destinations mentioned. Only Vietnam is peaceful.

curiousFred and AnonymousB2022 like this.
  13. AnonymousB2022

Among other things, if the United States were so peaceful it would lose global hegeminy to the Soviet Union. There is no power vacuum... And I am not saying that all American interventions in the world are morally justifiable.

14. Eugen

Eugen Trusted.Member

And so the USSR broke up into the Union of Independent States. at the time of the entry of American troops into Afghanistan. The USSR was there from 1979-1989, the USA-from 2001 to the present day. You were warned by the former rulers of the USSR and the military, do not get there, wash your face with blood and shamefully leave. You desperately climbed there while the USSR was there, you needed drug trafficking to the enemy's territory, the opportunity to launder dirty dollars. And don't worry about your dead servicemen, women will still give birth. And you will howl and burn, and you will send your children to the next ass again. Were you listening to me? And then what do you want?!

curiousFred likes this.
  15. curiousFred

curiousFred Trusted.Member

I personally believe Joe Biden made the right decision to get out of Afghanistan.
    It will shake up the rest of the world, but the cost to America was horrendous, 2 Trillion Dollars borrowed
    and must be paid back, by the orphans of the soldiers who died fighting for an utterly corrupt system.
    The fucking Chinese communist bastards will flex their muscles now, laughing at America.
    Hopefully they will get theirs in good time, just like the arrogant Nazis did.
    We are living in interesting times.

16. Eugen

Eugen Trusted.Member

Next time, fight with the penguins. There is definitely a need for democracy there. Let's declare our determination-THERE is no bloody tyranny of penguins! I'll tell you a secret, there is oil there. Bring the troops.

curiousFred likes this.
  17. Eugen

Eugen Trusted.Member

Hahaha. And what do the Chinese have to do with this? He died of laughter. Just don't fight with the Chinese, then in 24 hours you will be fucked up on your own territory. You can't even fart against China. China is already in your home. How many Chinese are there in the US???

curiousFred likes this.
  18. Eugen

Eugen Trusted.Member

Fight with penguins!

19. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

20. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.