1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Afghanistan.

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by curiousFred, Aug 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

The Taliban was not the problem with the Americans. The problem was with the Liberal Establishment. When American troops went into Afghanistan, the Taliban was destroyed as an organized group in less than one week. Then the politicians got into it and ruined everything. Same as in Vietnam, the politician thought they knew better on how to fight a war than the military.

Myself, I was never in favor of leaving troops in Afghanistan. My thoughts were that if the Taliban came into power, we would go in and destroy them, then leave. If they reasserted power, go back in and destroy them again. Repeat as needed.

2. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

While I agree? There is a larger issue that Syria, Lybia, Iraq and now Afghanistan should teach us. That region, in general, does not want "American style Democracy and Freedom". We left and their OWN ARMY just dropped their guns or turned them over to the Taliban. They want the TALIBAN not Democracy. We need to stop assuming that every nation wants our Government type.

Hell. Look at Israel. Israel has Brit Style Democracy. They gave the Palestinians two swaths of land. to the East? Relative peace and relative Democracy. West? They turned over power, almost immediately to terrorists.

Dane likes this.
  3. Neophyte

4. Neophyte

5. S.F

S.F New Member

Operation Cyclone tldr: USA funding and equipping islamist "freedom fighters" to fight for them against Russia in Afghanistan. Those militia then call themselves Al Quaeda and some of them take part in ISIS. FF a few years, USA forgot about Afghanistan and since another former US funded militia in Iraq, Sadam Hussein marches for Kuwait to take control of the oil fields (which the US are quite fond off) they send US troops there to defend the oil fields.

Al Quaeda do not like that the US "desecrated the holy soil" and so on and so forth 9/11 and now we are here.

Moral of the story: we reap what we sow

6. changoTor

changoTor Trusted Member

Agreed. The US's involvement was a result of US actions.

Everything was great when you recruit them to wage war on communism, but now it's like "meh."

7. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

People were asking them to go, others not to go. No matter what they would have done, they would have suffered critics. Then, people say they should leave, others they should stay. Yet again, critics, no matter the choice. There is no good answer to that question, no simple answer.

changoTor and Charles Fourier like this.
  8. changoTor

changoTor Trusted Member

There is no winning in this scenario. I do however think that if you are going to appoint yourself as the world's police force, then you have a certain responsibility that you create after you stick your nose where it might possibly not be welcome.

Charles Fourier likes this.
  9. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

Only the dead see the end of war. In war, there haven'T been a real victory since at least forty years. Now its all about public relations rather than taking care of the problem

changoTor and Charles Fourier like this.
  10. changoTor

changoTor Trusted Member

I agree. You "win" a war by getting reelected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.