1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Beware the new Windows 10-S Operating System

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Antares, Jul 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

I know what you mean. Just a personal note, I had an iPhone for years, Last year we bought 2 new MotoGZ's, Android operating system. I hate it, and I'm sick of google sticking its nose in everywhere. I'm going to throw it in the lake and buy myself a new iPhone. Seriously.
    I do agree about the laptops (I have a Dell also, so is my PC)

annab2 likes this.
  2. Insp Gadget

Insp Gadget Trusted.Member

I heard that Apple got an early boost by distributing units to school boards, essentially free of charge. You may be able to say whether that's true or not.

And I think that at first they were superior at image handling, so the graphics designers and such flocked to them.

annab2 and pussycat like this.
  3. Insp Gadget

It looks like someone else has had a bad experience ...

google-new-logo_orig.jpg :)

4. slisse

slisse Moderator Staff Member

I didn't hear everything, but a lot that was said here does ring bell.

My motto is 'why pay $ 800 for the device of a wellknown brand when I can buy a (rather) good working device from another brand for $ 500'.

I worked so far with windows 3.1 - 98 - XP - 7 - 10

annab2 likes this.
  5. pussycat

I took a different route. I worked with windows NT - 2000 - 7 (and 10 on the laptop).

annab2 likes this.
  6. Antares

Antares The Famous LTD Doggie

done them all....DOS, 3.1, 98, 98SE, Win NT, 2000 XP, ME, VISTA, 7, 8, 8.1, 10

XP was the stablest and worked the best but the shareholders didn't like that, Got to have something new.

7. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

Microsoft did not steal the idea for Windows from Apple, they stole the idea from Xerox. Apple and Commodore were making great strides in Graphical User Interface, GUI, also stolen from Xerox. Actually commodores GUI was superior to Apples and Commodores graphics and animation capabilities were superior to Apples. Microsoft hired away several Xerox programmers and told them to create a GUI and Windows was created. The first windows sucked big time, so did number two. Windows finally became usable in version 3.1. After Windows 3.1 Apple had to play catch up and they developed Macintosh and Apple finally started supporting color screens.

annab2 likes this.
  8. Neophyte

Going into more detail, Apple had pretty much conceded the business and productivity business to the PC. So Apple began to gravitate more to graphical uses. Apples main competitor in graphics was Commodore. But Commodore had a superior machine. The PC's were based on the Intel 80000 series chip, and Apple and Commodore was based on the Motorola's 68000 series chip. The M68000 chip was better than the I80000 chip. But in Apples competition with Commodore, Apple was losing. Commodore made a more versatile machine, it was faster, cheaper and had better graphics than Apples. Also Commodores machine could run Apple software, but Apple machines could not run Commodore's software. When Disney and many other large Animation Studios started going into CGI, they bought Commodore computers. So Apple came up with a plan to destroy Commodore.

First, not only would Commodore run Apple's software, but it would also run Microsoft's software. Commodore had a very poor advertising department, so Apple allied with Microsoft to smear Commodore's image and professional standing. They focused on the fact that a lot of people thought of Commodore as a kids game playing machine instead of a serious professional machine.

Second, Apple donated thousands of computers to schools, so the students learned to do graphics on Apples at school, so when they went started their professional career they insisted on using Apples, because they already knew how to use Appls and they didn't want to learn a new machine, even if it was a better machine.

Third, Steve Jobs left Apple and started another company that specialized in animation computers, some of you may remember Next Computers. He also started an animation studio you might have heard of called Pixar. Pixar used Next computers. Some the other animation studios started using Next computers to match Pixar.

Fourth, Steve Jobs went back to Apple, talking Next computers back with him thus bring Apple back to the forefront in the CGI business.

With Commodores poor PR and the tactics of Apple, Commodore's U.S. division closed down, thereby giving Apple full reign in the graphics department. Again the better machine did not win.

annab2 likes this.
  9. Insp Gadget

NT2000 is rock solid - a great OS.

lurkorn and annab2 like this.
  10. pussycat

It is. I have a lot of old programs that I like to use. The "aftermarket" ones all give a free upgrade if you switch, say from XP to 7 for example, I just download it. Not Microsoft. All the ms programs they want you to buy a new one. Some worked on 7, some only with difficulty, and none at all will work on 10. Thanks Bill Gates.
    So I had a friend install NT2000 on my PC as well as 7 (its partitioned) and now I can use everything the way I want to.
    Screw Bill Gates.

:p

annab2 likes this.
  11. Antares

Part of your problem is that Windows 10 is a 64bit based OS while the others are 32 bit based and 7 splits both ways. I wouldn't go back to 2000 when XP is a much better system and is stable. Just be advised that you won't be able to use any of the new printers or scanners out there. No drivers are available to go back beyond 7

12. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Moderator Staff Member

Another issue is backwards compatibility.
    Early Windows programs were 16 bit.
    When 32 bit Windows became available it supported 32 & 16 bit.
    When 64 bit Windows became available it supported 64 & 32 but but not 16 bit.
    A number of older programs I could run in Windows 7 32 bit stopped working with Windows 10 64 bit.

13. Curmudgeon

My first computer was a Commodore 64. When I got a PC clone I was initially disappointed. DOS didn't have color and sound built in like the Commodore. I think the C64 could have given DOS a bit of competition if it had supported 80 colums and had expandable memory. It had smart peripherals that didn't use system memory like DOS.

annab2 likes this.
  14. Neophyte

That's why they built the Commodore 128.

15. Curmudgeon

It wasn't around long enough to catch on. Very little software was written for the 80 column display.
    Fortunately, it was possible to boot up the computer in c64 mode.

The company I worked for around 1980 was contracted to provide consumer service for Commodore products.
    I serviced hundreds of C64s and only a few C128s.

Neophyte likes this.
  16. Neophyte

Did you work on the Amigas?

annab2 likes this.
  17. Curmudgeon

No, only the VIC 20, C 64, C128, Disk Drive, and C128 monitor.
    Commodore's warranty policy was to replace failed units with new at the retail store level.

After a while they had warehouses full of returned merchandise.
    They were not in a position to deal with it going forward so the contracted with RCA Service Co.

RCA employees serviced and repacked the units in the warehouse which were then resold as "refurbished".
    Other RCA locations, including the one where I worked, provided carry in service for in and out of warranty units.

annab2 and Neophyte like this.
  18. pussycat

My printer/scanner (Epson) is brand new, works perfectly. I have windows 7 still as my main OS. I only switch to NT2000 when I need to and all my files are accessable from either system, so its not a problem.
    As to XP, I've never used it and as a secondary NT2000 works fine so why screw with a good thing if you follow me.

Yes, the 32 bit compatability is an issue. My Windows 7 is 64 bit, but it supports 32 bit, but apparently not always.
    Like I said, I'm not that knowledgeable about computors, I just know how to use them. Same with my hubby. Thats why we have our tech guy on speed dial, lol.

annab2 likes this.
  19. snooper83

snooper83 Trusted Member

'A gift horse in the teeth is not looking,' says an old proverb. Free Windows in files look should not. A nice gesture on the part of Microsoft.

annab2 likes this.
  20. Antares

Yea to trap you into paying full price for an unlocked version.

annab2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.