1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Beware the new Windows 10-S Operating System

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Antares, Jul 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antares

Antares The Famous LTD Doggie

That's not possible.
    We both know that Al Gore invented the Internet and he's not that old is he?

annab2 likes this.
  2. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

In all fairness to Liberals, Al Gore never said he invented the Internet. What he did say, is that he coined the term "Information Super Highway". FYI.

Antares and annab2 like this.
  3. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

Seriously?

Shows you what I know.

All this time I thought you invented the internet.

annab2 likes this.
  4. Antares

Its been a standing joke for years after he made some insane statement about inventing the Internet. It wasn't what he said as what was implied. It became a....a gottya line for the opposition cause the Arpanet was invented 1963 when he was 15. See Neophyte's comments where he does say, he coined the term Information Super highway.......ie. he invented the Internet.

annab2 and Neophyte like this.
  5. pussycat

Yes doggie, I'm well aware of the story.

:rolleyes:

annab2 likes this.
  6. spinny

spinny Account Deleted

Fairness and Liberals in the same sentence! Argh!!

Antares, annab2 and Neophyte like this.
  7. carliosx

carliosx Trusted Member

I Had the Windows 10 actualization on my HP computer and it was a total mess!!! I hate it. It screwed it all.

Thanks for the advice. I believe Win XP was the best.

Antares and annab2 like this.
  8. annab2

annab2 Trusted Member"It ain't pretty being easy!"

It may have been the best OS, Microsoft is going to make sure that it is buried very deep! They innovate designs to make themselves capital. That is why they have so many stockholders! Conglomerates manufacture products with bugs in them, to keep up their REVENUES! They want you to continue to buy from them, so far it has worked out very well! Automakers have used this strategy for the past one-hundred-plus-years! It is still working for most marketable items, an imperfect product is what a business call, a"Cash Cow!" That is why you don't have to pay a whole lot for a refrigerator, the manufacturer will make the most money on the back end of a sale, with parts, repairs, and service calls, ponder that for a while!
    :):rolleyes:;)

Antares likes this.
  9. Antares

Well, in this case MS will get a bonus. They know people are going to want an open OS whether it be Home or Pro so in order to maximize their profit you will have to pay the retail price for Windows. Whereas manufactures paid MS about $40 a copy you will pay the retail price of $99 Home and $140 Pro. That has the effect of raising the price of Windows to you by 145+%. Next step of course will be that Black Market copies of the Windows disk will quickly appear or magically specials keys will be available to switch off the lockout on Windows-S. and of course the manufacture gains in that the price of the PC will remain the same but they won't have to pay $40 for the OS. Everybody wins except the consumer unless they want to reduced version of Windows.

annab2 likes this.
  10. Neophyte

Doesn't anyone remember that in the early days of personal computers, they did not come with operating systems. You had to buy the operating system separately and at retail price. There was a reason they started to bundle the OS with the PC. If the manufacturers have forgotten this they will relearn it quickly.

annab2 and Antares like this.
  11. Antares

I'm not familiar with the history of the PC/OS so enlighten us.

12. Neophyte

Its a story of the rise of Microsoft. There were several computer manufacturers that were starting to build computers for home use. Some of the names were Altair, Commodore and Apple, there were several others but there names don't come to mind right now. IBM made mid to large size computer systems, they saw that the home market was a new developing market and decided to get in on the new trend. IBM started making the IBM-PC, now just called PC since IBM no longer makes them. Since IBM started late in the game their product was rather inferior. Apple was a more advance computer but not the best. What IBM did that Apple did not do was make its architecture open to everyone, Apple kept their architecture proprietary. So with this the IBM-PC started growing quickly and with the IBM name recognition and the companies reputation as the computer company, businesses started to buy IBM-PC for use in their companies. Now starts the software wars. Computers were nice but people needed software, writing your own software was starting to get cumbersome and the average person couldn't do it. The hardware was nice but it was the software that made the hardware useful. Apple while still proprietary, made a bold move where it donated thousands of computers to schools, so students while learning was exposed to Apple and when they graduated and joined the work force, they were familiar with Apple and tended to stay with the product. With this move Apple started to win the hardware war even though their computer wasn't the best. But with IBM's open architecture other manufacturers started building IBM-PC clones, with the rise of clones the price of now PC's started to drop. The price of PC's became so low that Apple and the other computer makers could not compete and the other products started to lose market share. Now the software companies saw a clear winner in hardware and knew where to concentrate their software development resources. Microsoft had previously won the operating system contract from IBM and they became the OS to develop software on. So with cheaper hardware and greater availability of software the PC became dominate. While all of this was going on the computer and the operating systems were sold separately. Even Apple sold their operating system separate from their computer. Microsoft saw an opportunity and made a deal with several of the PC-clone makers to bundle their operating system with the clone makers hardware. So then when you bought a new computer it came with an operating system and the software makers started specializing in Microsoft's OS. Thus the explosive growth of Microsoft. Now that Microsoft was dominating the OS market they started to acquire other software products like word processors and spreadsheets. IBM dropped out of the PC hardware business because the clones became so inexpensive that IBM couldn't compete on price. With IBM dropping out Microsoft became the dominate force in PC's. Microsoft started to buy out other software companies and either shut them down or made it their own. If Microsoft makes software proprietary, they will follow the road of Apple, how many Apple PC's do you see for sale in most stores. So in the end a mediocre hardware running mediocre software won the PC wars. Now the small smart devices wars are beginning.

13. pussycat

Thank you Neo, that was a very good summary. :)

I would just add, we almost all run MS-DOS as a basis. It stands for "Microsoft Disc Operating System", so Microsoft has its hands in every PC on the market.
    My hubby has a Mac G4, if you're in the graphic design, photography, architecture type business its a way better system but everything costs a lot more.
    :)

14. Antares

That's because Apple insists on keeping everything proprietary. If you want it you have to buy it through them. Likewise the architecture is kept proprietary so that it must be fix by them. You are not allowed to make internal adjustments as you can with a PC. Its our way or you can't have it. They are now less than 1/4 of the market share so they haven't learned their lessons very well

annab2, pussycat and Insp Gadget like this.
  15. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Moderator Staff Member

I really don't understand how a $600 iPhone works any better than my $100 HTC phone.
    Everyone I know who is involved with IT doesn't use Apple products.

A while back I bought a Dell laptop for my wife. It had a 17" screen and cost $600.
    My brother in law bought an Apple laptop with exactly the same processor, memory, and disc space.
    It had a smaller screen (15") and cost $1200.

Antares and Insp Gadget like this.
  16. Antares

You got it. All you are doing is paying for the name 'Apple' and their warranty.

annab2 likes this.
  17. Neophyte

Apple is making most of the same mistakes with their smart phones and devices that they made in their computers. You need Apple software iOS to run on Apple devices. Pretty much everything else now runs Android OS. I think Blackberry is the biggest holdout and they are being government subsidized. There were other OS's on the market before but Android seems to be the winner among smart phones and devices that are not Apple. The fight for dominance is still going on and Apple has a big advantage with Name Recognition and capital. but if you look closely, they are beginning to lose. Apple can only stay competitive while they keep innovating, when that stops you will see the decline of Apple.

annab2 likes this.
  18. Insp Gadget

Insp Gadget Trusted.Member

And that annoying rule they used to enforce on my Rolls Royce's - that I wasn't allowed to tamper with the motor ?

It was nothing but a low class money grab, I say.

annab2 likes this.
  19. Neophyte

I hear if your Rolls breakdown anywhere that Rolls Royce will be there as fast as possible to get you running as quickly as can be done.

annab2 and Insp Gadget like this.
  20. pussycat

A little bit of history from a "users" point of view. Going back, say, 1995 or so, there was a big difference between a Mac and a PC. Macs were more user friendly, better software was available, eg: photoshop, etc. It was expensive, but it worked like a charm, so certain industries went with the Mac and some didn't. Apple catered to this niche market they had accidentally created, so those industries use Macs to this day.
    Over the years, Microsoft copied and/or stole from Apple, and probably vice versa, until by today you really can't tell a Mac from a PC (from a users point of view). The same software is available for both, mostly.
    I use a PC at home, windows 7, my laptop is windows 10. My hubby uses Macs, simply because they work better for him. But I think the PC will eventually win out, because of what you guys mentioned above. Apple is just going to price itself out of the market.

annab2 and Insp Gadget like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.