1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

There are many gun murders in American society. Is there any way to solve this problem?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by fdasdfasd, Sep 14, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daddy's Home

Daddy's Home Trusted.Member

Ouch!

That didn't take long for you to sink to the ad hominem fallacy.

Lian likes this.
  2. Daddy's Home

There are definitely justified uses of a gun, but your second statement is not really the tautology you seem to think it is.

I know many, many gun owners, only some of whom are very well trained in using them during intense situations. I have put a lot of lead down the range, myself, but I don't own a gun, myself, nor do I ever plan to own one.
    There is no way I would call most of the gun owners I know because there is a higher likelihood they will make the matter worse.

Lian likes this.
  3. Perfectawful

Perfectawful Trusted.Member

I'm talking about law enforcement.

4. Daddy's Home

If shit was going down, I would call 911 and tell them there was a fire.

The FD will actually arrive much more quickly as the police are having to deal with so much other non-police work.

I'll take a bunch on firemen/women, who are in peak physical condition, armed with fire axes and water hoses, over a cop with a gun any time

Lian likes this.
  5. phantom1025

phantom1025 Trusted Member

Personally I feel it would be better if we could have some sort of stun gun that really worked. Given all the "mistakes" that happen with polices and guns, this would only mean that less people would die "by mistake". The issue again is that gun are used for protection and aggression. The issue with what we have in the USA is a massive use of gun for violence and malice and harm against others. A few people can do a massive about of harm. This is not to say most gun owners are good people that use it responsibly, The issue are the one that do not. In the case of the police I have seen to make cases of police "shot first and question later". When you see a couple getting shot in there own house by the police because the police when to the wrong house and the person there not sure what is going on opens the front door holding a gun in a non-threatening position trying to see if he is danger and the cops unload 20+ round in him without stating there are the police or using basic restraint that could have prevented so much pain

6. Lian

Lian Friendly One

It only takes one bad man with a gun to kill LOT of innocents.

phantom1025 likes this.
  7. datadyne

datadyne Trusted Member

The issue I have, as an American pro-2A Libertarian Marxist, is that most gun control proposed never applies to law enforcement or governmental agencies. Violent crime is significantly lower than it was 3 decades ago, and has been steadily decreasing for a good while now. However, law enforcement officers continue to break new records every year or two, for the amount of officer involved killings of citizens. The amount of civilians injured and killed by state actors and LEO continues to rise dramatically.

Any gun control that only applies to civilians isn't about actually getting weapons "off the streets". It's about the state creating a monopoly on the use of violence. I'd really like to see a law requiring all state and local law enforcement, or judicial agencies, to abide by the 1934 NFA and all other federal gun laws already on the books, as well as all gun restrictions in their specific state. Cops should require the same ATF scrutiny that civilians must undergo for all class 3 type weaponry. If a specific state wants to restrict types of bullets or standard capacity mags, then EVERYONE in that state should be required to follow the restrictions.

This proposed law would be very much in-line with the founders' intentions. It would also likely cause police unions to reverse their support of ever stricter gun control, once they aren't exempt from the laws they often champion.

If our society believes a specific weapon is truley "too dangerous" to allow, then that needs to be across the board, banned for EVERYONE. I'm tired of there being a different standard for what weapons average citizens may own/use/collect, and what weapons state actors may use. Especially since law enforcement are significantly more statistically likely to misuse their weapons. Realize that police collectively kill more Americans every year than any other single group or gang, period.

It's crazy to me that so many gun enthusiasts are also blue liners. Who do they think is gonna "come and take it" if the government decrees a ban or round up? We need to seriously re-analyze the whole US prison industrial system too. End the war on drugs. Implement better universal healthcare with the money saved. Lastly, decriminalizing drugs would seriously knee cap the cartels and street gangs financially. It's unlikely people would be willing to kill each other so quickly over something that's no longer particularly profitable. Ending alcohol prohibition basically destroyed the power the mafia and moonshiners had prior, they had to diversify and never again reached the level they were at during prohibition. Plus, all the dangerously overpowered drugs seen in modern day are a result of prohibition. The black market and smuggling encourages stronger drugs that take up less space/weight. If it wasn't illegal then it wouldn't be worth killing over. Most of the gang related violence is a result of drug prohibition.

We need GOOD universal healthcare, including good mental healthcare. That would help with the suicides. Then ending the War on Drugs would provide $50 Billion yearly towards healthcare, while also reducing the cause for a lot of gun violence at the same time.

8. phantom1025

I will say that the stats show the cities with the strongest gun laws are the one with the high crime and murder rates. That is just the data. I think what we miss, and I sort of harp on is that gun can be used for bad things.., but the real issue is what motivates people to do bad things. The symptom is gun violence, however gun are not the cause of the violence. I am not saying the better laws and more importantly correct enforcement would not help.. it would... in fact if they enforce the existing laws better we would have less violence.

9. innervision

innervision Account Deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2023
  10. phantom1025

11. innervision

innervision Account Deleted

Cherry picking - Wikipedia

Was there more or less murders before the stricter gun laws in Illinois?

12. Perfectawful

Perfectawful Trusted.Member

People play fast and loose with stats on "gun deaths" or homicides when that category includes justified uses of firearms and not just actual crimes. The other one they deliberately mislead on is deaths of children/youths/teens by including people over the age of 18 and sometimes into their 20s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.