1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Should Media Companies be held responsible for their lies?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by Lian, Apr 30, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lian

Lian Friendly One

Medias like Fox News help spread lies, which make the tensions rise higher in USA. Should medias be held responsible for the rise of hate crimes and extremism in USA?

p.s can a mod fix the typo in the title please?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2023
  2. whitecoffee1

whitecoffee1 Moderator Staff Member

Done. You're welcome.

Lian likes this.
  3. blue eyed girl

blue eyed girl Account Deleted

FOX, CNN, Huffington, NY Times, CBS, and on and on. Let's be fair one's no better than the other.

Oh, the answer> YES

Won't happen, Americans are so fixated on freedom of speech they'd sooner destroy their own country than admit their glorious Founding Fathers actually fucked up.

4. Lian

Lian Friendly One

The problem is mostly that many Americans dont want thr truth, they just want someone to validate their oppinion, their side.

EnlightenedNudist likes this.
  5. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Oh dear! I shall be late!

I think they should be held accountable. I remember a time when Rachel Maddow went on TV telling everyone that if they get the vax, they will not get C-19. That ended up being a lie and there was no repercussions for that. True journalism has been thrown out the window and it's getting exceedingly hard to try and find one news outlet that does its best to stay in the middle. I try my best to listen to both sides and then come to my own conclusions as rational as possible. Three things that cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon and the truth.

Perfectawful likes this.
  6. Lian

Lian Friendly One

Getting the vax was a good thing. Anti-vax conspirationists helped the spreading of the virus.
    And the medias were saying that getting the vax could make the EFFECTS of the virus being less lethal.

Last edited: May 3, 2023
    EnlightenedNudist likes this.
  7. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

There were several massive lawsuits against Rachel Maddow and MsNBC, but they got the suits dismissed by admitting to the court that Maddow doesn't tell the truth and claims that everything that she says on her show is strictly her opinion and doesn't have to be factual or the truth. Everything she says is purely for entertainment and not news.

Perfectawful, Dracoa and White Rabbit like this.
  8. White Rabbit

Probably why most "news" outlets are leaning towards Op-Eds. I suppose it's a good move on their part to help cover their asses. A valuable lesson to learn is to not take everything at face value or believe everything you read. Media is such a powerful tool and yet a terrible master (And has been said about technology). Regardless, I do believe we are starting to live in the book "1984". Lies become truth and the truth becomes lies.

9. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

Media. Plural of Media is still Media.

10. White Rabbit

Thank you. Is still thanking of thank you.

11. buffyfan

To be fair. If it is a KNOWN lie (See Fox suit, emails and texts saying they know one thing then saying another like it is fact on the news)? Yes. "We were just reporting on what POLITICIANS were talking about!" is not a defense. If there is proof, then yes.

12. buffyfan

To be fair, same rulings for Tucker happened. Fox only got hit in Dominion, will likely in the Smartmatic and Stockholder suits too, because it was on ALL OTHER programing too. And because of a breadth of texts and emails of everyone saying "We know this is not true" then hours later yelling it was on TV. I would fully support a revision of Defemation laws for the Media to say "Just because a guest says it, and is a famous or elected or favorite of your audience? You are defamationally responsible if not true. Does not matter if you "Deem it news because a politician or their proxy said it".".

Lian likes this.
  13. White Rabbit

I think the ultimate question is: Do you believe in media? I believe in a certain context of video. Even more if video comes with audio. But then again, is it doctored? Edited? Presented in a way that would paint a different picture?

I know we all love our pissing contests. But when will enough be enough? The Qanon guy seen strolling through Capitol Hill with the help of police gets 40 months in prison but a guy who fights with ISIS and kills an army medic gets a $10.5 million dollar check, is quite baffling. This is what the news reports. It's not okay if this person does it and it's phobia if you disagree with this scenario.

Perfectawful likes this.
  14. Lian

Lian Friendly One

Well, medias in some countries are fine. But in some other countries, they are biased as fuck.

15. White Rabbit

In some cases I find WION news to be right down the middle. Not so much since Palki has left that news organization. Once upon a time.... WION is based in India and has fairly decent reporting. It can be conservative at times, but they do a good job at the 5 W's.

16. buffyfan

So. I spent enough time on the ADA/AUSA side that I can kind of spot all but the best cuts.

17. White Rabbit

ADA/AUSA is kinda alien to me. No idea what you're talking about. I do know that TML will win the series against FL since BOS and TB is out. GO LEAFS!

18. buffyfan

Prosecutor.

19. buffyfan

Anyone but Toronto or Devils

Lian likes this.
  20. White Rabbit

I'm sure you are, Mr. Shapiro. And I'm Bat Man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.