1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Religion

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by MilaHot, Apr 9, 2022.

1. Silas Marlowe

Silas Marlowe Account Deleted

People can belive in whatever religion they want, but there is no reason to think that the religion you belive in is any more true than all the religions you don't belive in, the proof you have that your religion is correct, is the same as the proof everybody other person has that their religion is correct.

And the amount of proof anybody has that their religion or God is the real one is zero.

Religious people will claim i am wrong, and claim that their religion has proof, i am sorry you don't have any proof, and i am talking about every religion in the world and yes also the religion you belong to.

Dannykinz likes this.
  2. Athenea

Athenea Some dream of a beautiful world, others create it. Staff Member

Older are very fond of numbers. When they are told about a new friend, they never ask essential questions such as: "What is the tone of his voice? What games does he prefer? Does he like to collect butterflies? Instead they ask: "How old is he? How many siblings? How much does he weigh? How much does his father earn?" Only with these details do they think they know him. If we say to an older person: "There is a beautiful house with pink bricks, geraniums in the windows and pigeons on the roof", they cannot imagine what it is like. You have to say: "There is a house worth so many millions of dollar". Then they exclaim enthusiastically: "Oh, how beautiful it is".

-I can't play with you -Said the fox- I am not tamed.

-What does "tame" mean? -Said the Little Prince.

-It is a thing already forgotten- Said the fox-it means 'to create bonds'. To me you are only a person like a hundred thousand other people. I don't need you. And you don't need me either. I am nothing to you but a fox like a hundred thousand foxes. But if you tame me, we will need each other. You will be the only one in the world for me. I will be the only one in the world for you.

-I am beginning to understand- Said the Little Prince. There is a flower... I think it has tamed me...

-Only things that are tamed are known- Said the fox- Men no longer have time to know anything. They buy ready-made things from merchants. But since there are no merchants of friends, men no longer have any friends.

Then the fox added:

-Go and look again at the roses. You will realise that yours is unique in the world. You will come back to say goodbye to me and I will give you a secret.

The Little Prince went to look at the roses again and returned to the fox:

-Goodbye.

-Goodbye- Said the fox_ This is my secret. It is very simple: you can only see with your heart. What is essential is invisible to the eye.

-The essential is invisible to the eye- Repeated the Little Prince.

"The Little Prince", Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Xwedodah and Odette like this.
  3. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

That would make a great tat. ;)

Lian and Polarbears like this.
  4. Polarbears

Polarbears Trusted.Member

I have one. :)

5. Bonin

Bonin Trusted Member

My question is, why do Christians have to announce that they are Christians. I don't tell people that I'm atheist, but Christians always tell me about their religious beliefs.

D.C. Barnet likes this.
  6. Lian

Lian Friendly One

All religions do that, not just christians. Tjey 'want to save us' or something like that. I have no problem with them, but yeah, they can keep it to themselves

D.C. Barnet likes this.
  7. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

To be fair? We Jews dont. Hindus dont. MOST DONT. "all" is not "different denominations of Christian".

8. Lian

Lian Friendly One

Well, to be Jews you have to be born one, right? So they cannot really do that.
    And fir the Hindus, I have no idea.
    But I do guess some religions are less 'save the world' type

9. Athenea

I can only speak from personal experience, but I also don't say that I am a believer in the Catholic religion to anyone I pass on the street. If I fill up the petrol tank of my car or order a coffee or shop in the supermarket I don't tell them anything. At my work they know, but because they know me. My family knows what my beliefs are, because they know what my beliefs are. My friends, who are my lifelong friends, know that I am one, just like them. And others know because I always wear a cross on a chain around my neck, it was given to me by our parents and besides representing my faith, it has great sentimental value. If this subject comes up in a conversation, I do say so, because I am not ashamed of my beliefs, but only for information purposes and because this comment was born in that conversation, but not with any intention of recruiting. Religion is a personal experience and there are people who have that life and there are people who prefer another life, be it another religion and atheism, but it's not going to be a problem. It is my personal experience.

Odette and Lian like this.
  10. Polarbears

Polarbears Trusted.Member

I think most religions welcome you to convert TO their religion. It's when you want to leave you have a problem. :rolleyes:

Christians tend to be the most annoying, but not all of them either. JW's won't leave you alone, the born again ones won't shut up, but most Catholics I know are about as devout as I am (like, not even slightly). It depends where you are too, in the US it seems to be a big deal and in Canada nobody gives a shit.

11. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

No you can convert. We just dont Proselytize. Whether "born one", technically, is "is your Mother".

12. pussycat

It certainly is with Islam. To the devout, you may not renounce the Prophet. To do so is apostasy, and the only punishment for an apostate is death. A convenient method of keeping the sheep within the fold.

13. Lian

Lian Friendly One

Christians also had a punishment for those that left their religion, at least in the past

14. pussycat

I think they've mostly given up drowning witches and burning people at the stake.

Lian likes this.
  15. Dannykinz

Dannykinz Moderator Staff Member

MY Current opinions on religion as someone who grew up catholic but is now a pagan-
    •Christians don’t know left from right about paganism/wicca yet constantly tell us how to live our lives and that we’re worshipping the devil. There’s different pentacles, pentagrams, and symbols with all different meanings to them. Not everything is related to lucifer. If you see a symbol don’t assume it’s what you think it means especially since you don’t know what it is in the religion in the first place.
    •It seems all religions never consider my religion valid at all.
    •people assume witchcraft is to harm people and there is no good magic when in fact it is used to protect the home, help with financial abundance, among so many other things other than just hexing folks.
    •no one takes the time to talk calmly and be open to learning about other people’s beliefs. It’s either their way or the high way. Everyone is convinced their religion is the “right” one.
    •everyone forgets that the holidays they celebrate are based off other religions holidays too and never acknowledge that there are other holidays that exist in other religions/traditions too. Not just theirs.
    •people are hypocrites. They are quick to judge others choices regarding religion and spirituality yet do the same things themselves.

Lian likes this.
  16. Lian

Lian Friendly One

But those than 'renounced' faith also were tortured and burned.
    And France did burn 50 000 people once because 'they were werewolves'.

17. D.C. Barnet

D.C. Barnet Trusted.Member

It is only the evangelical (sp?) Christians who feel obligated to do this. They are a minority of Christians. . . . I will ONLY mention that I am one, in this post as a frame of reference . . .

18. Bobbo

Bobbo Trusted Member

I used to be a staunch atheist. I found religiosity tiresome. I grew up watching Hitchens debating the existence of god and marveled at his logic, wit and quick tongue. As I have grown older, my views have become less militant regarding religion, but more so toward free rational thought and activity outside of government control.

I see now that hitchens neglected the damage he was doing to religious people by making belief appear stupid and cowardly and by proxy making those who adhere to religious views as being weak and stupid.

Having grown up and seen a bit more, I now see its importance for some people, and I see people who I think would do well to be guided by religious principals but are now deprived of that due to societal views. This decreases the sum total of happiness in the world.

I no longer snicker when people offer to pray for me, I just say thank you and hope that if there is a god, maybe that will put a point under my name.

D.C. Barnet and Athenea like this.
  19. Athenea

I have never understood the exact relationship between faith in a religion and other personal characteristics, such as cowardice, stupidity or intelligence, except if the purpose of such labels is to have no respect and an attempt to humiliate a believer. I have personally met unintelligent atheists and very intelligent believers, I have met atheists without any education or social correctness and believers who were a pleasure to dine with just because of their elegance in picking up a glass of wine or their way of speaking. Of course, I have also met unintelligent, uneducated and disrespectful believers. Believing in religion or being an atheist does not make that person more intelligent or more stupid, because education, respect is learned and used every day and whoever does not have that education and respect will never be able to be polite to other people, regardless of their beliefs. Those who despise and humiliate other people, those who have no respect and no education in the way they express their ideas are fanatics, and fanatics exist in religion and atheism.

Xwedodah, D.C. Barnet and Odette like this.
  20. Bobbo

Bobbo Trusted Member

This is what started my thoughts on my position on religion. When I noticed that people I would consider complete morons would use not believing in God as a form of social one-upmanship.

So it begs the question, do they really not believe in God or are they too lazy to research it or are they just too scared to stand up for their views should they realise that the do believe in God?

So then, how can I help people who want to believe be happier? Which is simply, to help remove stigma around being religious.

Athenea likes this.