1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

College Students Vote

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by Antares, Jul 27, 2017.

?

College Students should be permitted to vote where they attend school.

Poll closed Aug 3, 2017.
  1. YES

55.6%
  2. NO

44.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antares

Antares The Famous LTD Doggie

Select your answer and post your reasoning below.

2. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

I'm making some assumptions here. I believe you're asking, if college student should be allowed to vote in an election, based on the location of where they are attending college.

I've thought about it and I would answer if the student met all the other qualifications necessary to vote, then yes they should be given to option to vote based on their colleges location.

Antares likes this.
  3. Antares

That is the way the question reads. Should they be permitted to vote in the area where their school is located.

4. Neophyte

I'm going to call the Grammar Police on you. Your question is missing a comma.:p

5. Antares

I don't think so but you can show me your reasoning.

6. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Moderator Staff Member

If their legal residence is at the college then they can register to vote there.

The bigger picture issue is that they shouldn't be voting at all.
    In college they are under the influence of the radical academic agenda.
    They need to graduate and get a job first so they have a better understanding of reality.

Antares likes this.
  7. Antares

make sure you click on a choice above please

8. Neophyte

College Students should be permitted to vote (where they attend school).

College Students should be permitted to (vote where they attend school).

9. Zarp

Zarp Trusted.Member

My answer is a big fat no. You have to look at a couple of things. Most of the bigger colleges are in big cities located in larger states. Those living out of town at said college could make a huge difference. Say there are 100,000 students enrollled in colleges in California and half of them vote republican and the other half vote democratic. Well, in California you already know those out of town kids who voted republican more or less lost their votes where if they had been in their home states those votes could have made more of a difference. Now the same also can be said of dem's who attend college in more republican state. My suggestion is that the students should be allowed to vote with some way to have those votes routed to their home state and district. Yeah I guess that might be impossible but that is my idea.

10. Antares

The Doggie votes NO. College student don't live or represent the town where the college is located. Whether Democrat or Republican why should they be not be allowed to influence the local area population. Two examples are Chancellorsville, Va (UNIV OF VA) and State College, Pa (PENN STATE) both large student population areas. Both areas are heavily Republican Counties but student votes swing the vote to Democrat and may possibly influence the way the final State Count goes especially if they are out of State Students. NO, Student voters should vote by absentee ballot and have their votes counted in the area in which they live.

11. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

The problem is this. If I remember, some States dont even look at "absentee ballots" unless the election is close. I would say, as long as they are "in state" they should be able to vote there. An example. I was, when I went to school, about an hour from where I was "officially registered". Luckily my Freshman year was an off election year and the next year I had changed my official residence (could not get Married/Family housing the second year and had oldest already). Out of state? They should vote by mail in ballot.

I mean the real ideal solution is to have an actual e-database that collects votes. You verify on site that your FINGERPRINT matches and you have not voted yet. And can vote wherever is convenient. And it counts in your HOME district. We need to make voting easy and secure. Not restricted to "in this building, in this section, at this table".

12. buffyfan

I have not seen little of this "influence". I have been in a University setting since the late 1990s between actual classes, TA, Adjunct and finally Full Professorships. What I have seen are Professors cut loose if they espouse any political bent at all in the classroom.

Here is the reality I see. A lot of older people want to blame "College Brainwashing" for the fact that most younger people stopped caring about "how things have ALWAYS BEEN". They want a reason for why it needs to be that way, and usually don't take "Tradition or 'just how things were'." as an answer.

And then there is the slim group who just hate the "Young people these days show NO RESPECT" translated 'They don't obey me, their elder!'. I stand by this. My Grandmother has not seen her Great Grandkids since oldest was 6. She struck my child for being "disrespectful" in that my Grandmother was ranting and she said 'I am done with this' and walked away. She told me as MY elder she can strike my child. She now lost the privilege to see them.

pussycat likes this.
  13. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Moderator Staff Member

That may apply on the right coast. Out here on the left coast I'm surrounded by radical liberal Californians.
    If you don't make eye contact it's possible to walk among them without triggering a protest march.

Antares likes this.
  14. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

The problem isn't where they vote, it's that not enough of them vote. If the student body got off its lazy collective ass and voted, then the Republicans wouldn't have a majority, nobody over 60 would get elected, America wouldn't have a circus clown in the White House and the government might actually function.
    In fairness, its just as bad up here.

Sorry, back on topic. Up here, you vote wherever you legally reside. So if you are from Alberta and you attend college full time in Toronto, you obviously live in or near Toronto, so that's where you vote. It's pretty simple. I'm making an assuption that its not that different in the US.

I don't see the problem. If you attend school in Iowa, pay your tuition in Iowa, pay your taxes in Iowa, spend your money in Iowa, why shouldn't you be allowed to vote in Iowa? If the good people of Iowa (no doubt Republicans all) don't like it, they should tell the rest of the country that their out of state offspring are not welcome to study in Iowa.

This is just something more for the "right" to gripe about.

15. Antares

The problem with individuals is that with more education skews the academic standing more toward Graduate Students who are more likely to be from Out of State. Regardless of education if a student has not legally resided in the community then he/she skews the results of that area to either positive or negative.

Let us use the population of Penn State Main Campus against State College, Pa and Centre County where the school is located.

Penn State Student Population------55,000---36% of County and 131% of Town
    Population of Centre County -------150,000
    Population of State College ----------42,000

This has a significant impact on any election especially any local election. Therefore students should not be allowed to vote in their college community.

16. buffyfan

That actually could be. I hear, from former Law School friends, it is not as bad as some make it though.

17. buffyfan

Hence why I said the ultimate solution is some form of e-vote, where your vote is tied to a "home district" not a "gps location it was cast in".

Antares likes this.
  18. buffyfan

I mean Antares did say that pretty directly. To paraphrase "Some colleges are in heavy R districts and Student votes would mean we might lose a district."

Antares likes this.
  19. Antares

I mean it in terms of either side whether D, R or I. I just view it as unfair to the permanent residents of any town or county that temporary residents could control the results regardless of party.

20. Antares

As long as it applies to your place on long term residence, in which case college students are clearly temporary residents, then I'm for it. I think it can be seen how just in the elections within the town of State College, Pa., how the student population would rule the town over the wishes of its permanent residents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.