1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

For Those Texans

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jamie jackson, Feb 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dracoa

Dracoa Trusted.Member

I'll be in Austin. Going from basically right on the water here in VA (a short drive from the Potomac River) to Austin will be wonderful. This isn't even the hottest it gets here. When I worked summers at the amusement park, we'd hit 100+ with that high humidity.

In the end, it's not the heat that bothers me, it's the crazy humidity. I'll take 120 with no humidity over 80 with 70% humidity any day.

2. jim stone

jim stone Gentleman Jim

Austin is in what I call hill county. Yes the humidity will be a lot less than in the Piney Woods of deep east Texas. Enjoy your stay act like a sane person. Follow the cowboy code and you will be ok. Remember we have two kinds of beer in Texas. The ones you buy and the ones someone buys for you.

Gentleman Jim

3. Dracoa

Dracoa Trusted.Member

I'll be with family the whole time, so sane is relative. And I'll pass on the beer, but I might go for some liquor. Though I'd much prefer some of that wonderful brisket.

kool69 likes this.
  4. whenindoubtwhipitout

whenindoubtwhipitout Trusted.Member

[​IMG]

FORT WORTH -– The F-16 fighter jet, which has been rolling off the assembly line in Fort Worth since the mid-1970s, may fly off to assembly lines in India, if that country accepts a deal being proposed by Lockheed Martin.
    In exchange for a large order from India’s Air Force, Lockheed Martin is offering to close the only assembly line for the aircraft in Fort Worth and relocate it to India after late 2017.
    That date is significant because the aircraft manufacturer has just enough orders in the pipeline to keep the line running until then. After that, the company has reportedly been considering keeping the line “warm” (able to start up as additional orders came in) through the early part of the next decade.
    This wouldn’t be the first time the F-16 was made abroad. During the 1970s a joint U.S./European program produced F-16s for four NATO countries from three assembly lines in the Netherlands, Belgium, and Fort Worth. Assembly lines in Turkey and Korea also produced F-16s under license for their own air forces.
    But through all of those deals, the Fort Worth assembly lines kept cranking out F-16s for the U.S. military and other customers. That could change if India’s Air Force agrees to that large order.
    "Lockheed Martin is offering India the exclusive opportunity to produce, operate and export F-16 Block 70 aircraft, the world’s most advanced fourth-generation fighter aircraft,” said Lockheed Martin spokesperson John Losinger in a statement.
    “Lockheed Martin is in discussions with the U.S. government, the government of India, and our Indian industry partners about this opportunity,” Losinger continued. “Details about this potential partnership will be determined in conjunction with the respective governments, Lockheed Martin, and Indian industry. Production of the F-16 will continue in Fort Worth with current contract work through late 2017.”
    Although the program has been a reliable producer of North Texas jobs, production peaked in 1987 when Fort Worth cranked out 30 F-16s in 30 days.
    Which brings us to Lockheed Martin’s next anticipated big job producer, the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter. If F-16 production does go to India, no jobs will be lost locally -- they will just move to work on the new fighter.
    “As Fort Worth F-16 production deliveries are completed, we anticipate F-16 mechanics transitioning from the F-16 production line to the F-35 production line to support increased F-35 production rates,” Losinger said. “Other F-16 personnel will have opportunities to transition to other areas of the F-16 program."
    The plant is currently ramping up production of the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter with the expectation of 17 F-35s a month rolling off the Fort Worth line by the end of the decade.
    But through at least the end of 2017, the F-16 will continue rolling off a Fort Worth assembly line that has seen more than 3,500 roll out the doors since the program first took off more than 40 years ago.

kool69 likes this.
  5. whenindoubtwhipitout

6. whenindoubtwhipitout

7. whenindoubtwhipitout

8. whenindoubtwhipitout

9. whenindoubtwhipitout

10. whenindoubtwhipitout

11. whenindoubtwhipitout

12. whenindoubtwhipitout

13. whenindoubtwhipitout

Man.. just heard of the breakin and theft of all of Bugs Henderson's estate. Some people are just despicable.......

kool69 likes this.
  14. jim stone

jim stone Gentleman Jim

That happened about 15 miles north of me. The good part if there was one was Ms. Patty wasn't home or hurt. Here is a link to the Marshall News Messenger https://www.marshallnewsmessenger.c...r-coach-teacher-their-daughter-arrested-home/.

Lowlife scrum!!! Bugs and Ms. Patty were friends of my wife and I . We even visited their home. Hope they get the maximum sentence the law allows. Big question is how did they think they could get by with it.

15. whenindoubtwhipitout

They stole BUGS HENDERSON's DEATH CERTIFICATES!!!
    They stole his father's WWII uniform.
    While they did not take his ashes, they dumped the urn.
    Original unreleased music that Bugs & I were working on on the computer at home, the CD's with that music has been taken.
    Press spanning over 50 years, gone.
    We believe that the guitars and amps have been recovered elsewhere in the state and being returned to this area in the next day or so. The father stated that his daughter and her boyfriend were the ones to take the guitars and amps.

Dumping his ashes? This is Texas......get a rope!

16. muffdiver

muffdiver RIP (1948-2017)

17. longing4sis

longing4sis Trusted Member

Have Y'all heard about this shit yet?

The Federal Government Is Trying To Grab 140 Square Miles Of Private Land In Texas
    Frank Miniter,
    Contributor

The federal government is trying to take as much as 140 square miles of deeded land in Texas from ranchers who’ve owned and have paid taxes on the property for generations. This is occurring in north Texas, along Red River on the Texas-Oklahoma border. What made the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) make this claim is unclear (as this is being fought in court, the BLM isn’t answering questions), but the ramifications make last year’s occupation of BLM buildings in Oregon’s Malheur Wildlife Refuge seem like a Boy Scout jamboree.
    This fight has been going on for a number of years now in the courts. Seven families are behind the lawsuit trying to stop the BLM from taking their deeded property. Texas Gov. Greg Abbott, and a lot of other Texas politicians, praised the landowners for suing. Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton filed a motion to join the suit, which the court approved. Paxton said, “Washington, D.C., needs to hear, loud and clear, that Texas will not stand for the federal government’s infringement upon Texas land and the property rights of the people who live here.”
    If you’re wondering why you haven’t heard about this land war before, it is likely because this story quickly gets more complex than a Spanish corrida de torros.
    Before getting into all that, it’s worth putting this in context by looking back at the 1948 classic Western, named not coincidentally, “Red River.” The movie opens with John Wayne looking south from a wagon train to the Red River. He decides there is good grass for beef that way for a man with the grit to take the ground, hold it and turn it into a ranch that’ll help feed a growing nation. He goes south with his partner (Walter Brennan) and is soon joined by a boy muttering madly about an Indian attack on the wagon train (Montgomery Clift plays this character when he becomes an adult). They fight off an Indian attack and, not long thereafter, Wayne outdraws a gunslinger hired by a Spanish rancher to keep settlers off the ranch given to him by the king of Spain. The movie then flashes forward to an older Wayne who has made his ranch, his American dream, with sweat and blood, but after the American Civil War his cattle are worth little in the South, so he must drive his cattle north in a desperate effort to keep his ranch and to feed all the people around him. The government isn’t there to help him. He doesn’t resent this. He knows that he, and the men with him, don’t need handouts, just good, old-fashioned American guts.
    At the basis of this fictional plot is a true story about the men and women who settled the land and made it produce, as best they could.
    Now many generations later, the ranchers who own and work this land might lose it, not to rustlers, drought or a crater in cattle prices, but to a far-off bureaucracy in Washington, D.C., because, the BLM says, land claims dating back to the Louisiana Purchase give them the power to take land where the river once ran.
    Naturally, the shocked landowners responded with a lawsuit. Since then this complex fight has attracted the attention of the Texas governor, congressmen and legal advice from the attorney general of Texas. It also attracted Austin Curry, a founding partner of Caldwell Cassady & Curry. Curry is perhaps best known for getting a jury award of $532.9 million against Apple in Smartflash v. Apple. He is an attorney who specializes in David-and-Goliath battles over property rights (intellectual or physical).

kool69 likes this.
  18. jim stone

jim stone Gentleman Jim

Tall trees and short ropes. In being a Texas history nut there have been people hung for lesser crimes. Today because of being PC and because of the bleeding heart liberals we no longer are allowed that simple justice.

It's a shame that so much was lost that will be very hard to replace. Hope that they recover as much as possible. Hope you had you part of the music backed up on the computer. At least part will be saved.

On a side note talked to Judy Nitzinger the other day. Johnny is doing better gaining weight and is now on a regular course of physical therapy. She see improvement but it is a slow process. Keep Johnny in your thoughts and prayers.

Gentleman Jim

whenindoubtwhipitout likes this.
  19. whenindoubtwhipitout

20. jim stone

jim stone Gentleman Jim

Yup been there done that, got the tee shirt and wore it out. Now I am on BP meds. Yes they work but don't like how they make me feel.

Gentleman Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.