1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

For Those Texans

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jamie jackson, Feb 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamie jackson

jamie jackson Trusted Member

Hey, Texas boys ...

Wanna show the folks how Albertan gals and Texas guys do business ?

ps : Love your new avatar, Muff.

2. jamie jackson

I lived in Alberta for seven years (something to do with a man) and loved it there.

And there are many connections between Texas and Alberta ... like oil.

The Calgary Stampede is a great week-long party, and many of the top USA riders come up for it.

(Thanks to one visit there, I still own a fine old Stetson. The only problem is - it's a ten gallon hat, and I only have a two gallon head :))

Also, there is an offshoot of the Texas Longhorn Breeders Society there.

But of course the most important thing, is the sharing of jokes. And to that end, there is a Canadian fellow who emigrated to Texas, and set up The Texan Canadian website.

(Don't tell, but I've already rustled one of his jokes, and set it free somewhere in here.)

:)

Jamie

3. Antares

Antares The Famous LTD Doggie

You know you're getting older when you actually remember seeing that cartoon on TV.
    (not me of course but the rest of you old geezers...:D)

curiousFred, villager, annab2 and 4 others like this.
  4. leftout4

leftout4 Trusted.Member

you did see all the sex and gratuitous violence us old geezers had to grow up with. My doctor still says I'm ok...even if I do....

annab2, joep and jamie jackson like this.
  5. jim stone

jim stone Gentleman Jim

Jamie you are right, there is a connection between Texas and Alberta. Outside it gets much colder up north but it is cattle country. Cattlemen and ranchers are the same wherever they be. Add the oil connection and you have two places that are almost the same as far as mindset. If you can stand the heat you be a Texan stand the cold you be a Calgary cowboy. You have to be a hardy person to live in ether.

I live in the piney woods of east Texas. Timber, oil, and cattle are the main products we have. What people don't realize is that east Texas has a lot of lakes in it. I live on one of them out in the middle of nowhere. We have more cattle than people that live within twenty miles of us. BTW it is 27 miles to the nearest grocery store. In fact there are more deer and feral hogs than people. Not the lifestyle for most but I really like it.

J.S.

6. muffdiver

muffdiver RIP (1948-2017)

Lived there in the 70's Jim and loved it. Used to have to drive 40 miles one way to work every day.
    And yes it was a long way to get a gallon of milk. If it weren't for the fact jobs became scares back then
    I would probably still be there.

Muff

curiousFred and annab2 like this.
  7. jim stone

jim stone Gentleman Jim

Muff you are welcomed back any time. We now have a new law that requires you to have six firearms and ammunition to last at least five years. Only in Texas!!!!!

J.S.

curiousFred likes this.
  8. whenindoubtwhipitout

whenindoubtwhipitout Trusted.Member

So this is where us Texicans hide out?

9. jim stone

jim stone Gentleman Jim

There are more of us than one would believe. We have to have some where to hang our ten gallon Stetson.

J.S.

annab2 and jamie jackson like this.
  10. jamie jackson

Ahhh, Texans Schmexans ... What's the Lone Ranger got on Dudley Do-Right ? Eh ?

versus

I believe that the comparison speaks for itself. :)

Jamie

kool69, scouter_John, annab2 and 3 others like this.
  11. whenindoubtwhipitout

whenindoubtwhipitout Trusted.Member

Curses foiled again (twiddling my mustache).

12. jim stone

jim stone Gentleman Jim

What the people in the other 49 states don't realize is. There is no difference between a Canadian Mounted Police and a Texas Rangers. They both get their man.

True story there was a riot in Carthage, Texas a Texas Ranger was sent to the local sheriff to quell the riot. When he stepped off the train the sheriff ask where the rest of the Rangers were. The Ranger ask the sheriff if there was more than one riot. The town was peaceful soon there after.

J.S.

13. londonboy49

londonboy49 Account Deleted

Did a search for Texas Ranger jokes ...

Kept getting Chuck Norris and Baseball :eek::oops:o_O

kool69 likes this.
  14. muffdiver

There is also a bronze statue of a Texas Ranger at Love field airport in Dallas on the entrance that says, "One riot, one Ranger."

I had a friend a few years ago that was a DPS trooper by the name of John Henry Usery who is now retired, nickname of "Big John" for obvious reasons that served warrants for 8 judges across the state of Texas. When he brought them in, they were in chains. He went after the really bad guys. He told me Texas Rangers are picked by the Governor of Texas from DPS troopers and have to have a MINIMUM of 20 years as a Trooper. He told me there is only ONE man who is authorized to make a Texas Ranger badge in the entire state of Texas. And yes, the badge is made from a real silver dollar.

Muff

ranger.jpg

kool69, curiousFred, annab2 and 4 others like this.
  15. muffdiver

Chuck isn't a real ranger but he is a real reserve peace officer in a town that I lived in called Terrell. A few years ago the cops did a drug bust and when they brought them in to process for jail they used the National Guard Armory where I used to be assigned. When they busted one of the houses, one of the prisoners looked at Chuck and said "You look just like Chuck Norris." At which time Chuck responded, "I am Chuck Norris and your under arrest." Everybody got a good laugh out of that one.

Muff

16. leftout4

leftout4 Trusted.Member

What was the name of Dudley Do-Rights horse?!? And no peeking...

17. muffdiver

Just horse. Doh!!!

Muff

scouter_John likes this.
  18. leftout4

leftout4 Trusted.Member

It's gotten me quite a few beers...go with the simple, it works.

19. muffdiver

Who was the only 6 star general of the United States?

Muff

karel likes this.
  20. jamie jackson

I didn't remember 'horse' I'll admit.

The general ... won't look it up ... Patton ?

Jamie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.