1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

China

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by tybult, Dec 21, 2023.

1. tybult

tybult Trusted Member

Do we think war will start soon?

2. Lian

Lian Friendly One

With China? Or a Civil War in China?

Nervos likes this.
  3. Arjin

Arjin Trusted Member

Could you elaborate? A war between China and Taiwan or one with US?

4. tertiary_crawfish

tertiary_crawfish Trusted Member

We are most definitely witnessing the beginnings of a new Cold War between the US and China (imo already started).
    I don't think the conflict will escalate to direct fight between the US and China but more and more proxy wars will arise.
    The US will provide fundings to groups disrupting Chinese interest and China will do the same the other way round.

Lian likes this.
  5. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

Other than North Korea, China doesn't have any proxies. China has been dealing with a few Middle-Eastern countries but I don't think its at a level of proxies. Surrounding countries like Russia, Japan, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Tibet, India, and Pakistan all hate China. China will deal with Russia but they are not friendly.

D.C. Barnet and Lian like this.
  6. Lian

Lian Friendly One

I kinda hope Russia and China would go to war. That would settle many of China's problems, after all.

7. Lian

Lian Friendly One

China is just like Russia, a Regional Power. They dont have the logistics for a war against someone outside of their border (that is why Russia has so much trouble). Two nuclear powers who cannot handle logistic and war outside of their region.

8. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

Purely a "what if" speculation.

What if China decides to escalate it's provocations, thinking that it will get away with things because the West is distracted elsewhere (and especially if Trump gets back in and the US turns pussy on us)?

Do we get a PATO ? Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Philippines, Taiwan, South Korea, maybe Canada and Chile all sign a mutual defence treaty?

Wannabe regional powers, China and India, plus Russia, and an unhinged regime in North Korea, it's a pretty unstable situation.

Lian likes this.
  9. Neophyte

We already have a SEATO (South East Asia Treaty Organization), been around almost as long as NATO. China is most likely to attack Taiwan when Biden is in office, considering how many millions of dollars he and his family has received from China and Chinese business people.

D.C. Barnet likes this.
  10. pussycat

SEATO is worthless as currently written.

Not to spoil your Biden-bashing opportunity, but I would disagree on your latter point.

With Trump's 4 years in office, and 3 since then, the world (not the USA, the real world) has had ample time to realize that Donald Trump, like all bullies, is basically a fucking coward. He doesn't have the guts to get the USA involved in anything, and will hide behind his "America First" mantra to excuse the USA from fulfilling any of it's duties regarding defence agreements. Anybody who thinks a Trump led America will come to their aid is an idiot.

China will very likely take full advantage of that.

Lian and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Neophyte

Unlike when Biden is in office with the botched withdrawal from Afghanistan leaving billions of dollars of advanced equipment for the Taliban, and letting Russia invade Ukraine. Letting North Korea start testing ballistic missiles, a program that stopped under Trump. And having China encroaching towards Taiwan. Your hatred of Trump has blinded you to just how horrible Biden is.

12. pussycat

I think we all know who the king of hatred is around here. :D

Lian likes this.
  13. Neophyte

I'm not saying Trump is a saint, I'm saying Biden is a traitor.

D.C. Barnet likes this.
  14. TrueTeller

TrueTeller Account Deleted

I will add more fuel to the discussion As an eastern European I would prefer if USA had other president than Trump or Biden. Trump is very unpredictable. His words especially recent were quite controversial. Although partially they were true, countries like Germany should have higher spendings on army. But nevertheless such remarks should be make on backstage. On the other hand, before Russia started the war, Biden should have tried deter Russia in more determined way. Even if he wasn't willing to do anything more than what he did, it could deter Russia for beginning full scale war. They could for example only attack the eastern Ukraine. It's like with nuclear bomb, you don't really want to use it. The main purpose is to deter aggressor.

15. blue eyed girl

blue eyed girl Account Deleted

The Chinese are very intelligent people. They will be content to be provocative, and stoke the fires of unrest wherever it's advantageous to them, and wait. When the impending and inevitable civil war breaks out in the
    United States of America, China, North Korea, Russia, possibly Iran will take advantage of the power vacuum and then all hell will break loose.
    WW3 wouldn't be out of the question, and the Western World will probably lose.

Nobody likes to read insults from their own country. Respect, please. Athenea.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2024
  16. blue eyed girl

Well excuse me for having the audacity to say something that might offend our almighty American membership.

17. Neophyte

Your post was edited because you used the word 'idiot'. If you left that word out, your post would not have been edited.

18. blue eyed girl

Quite probably true. And quite misleading, in my opinion.
    Had the word idiot been applied to a different nation the post would not have been edited, in my opinion.

So do we now have unwords on the forum. Does everything have to pass scrutiny of the Ministry of Truth?

19. pussycat

As long as you do not personally attack, denigrate or attempt to belittle another member of the forum (which you have not), you can use any words you wish.

D.C. Barnet likes this.
  20. blue eyed girl

Thank you, but it would appear not. However, it's a moot point, it's simply easier to not participate.