1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Coffee Lovers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wellthisisawkward, Apr 26, 2023.

1. wellthisisawkward

wellthisisawkward I'm a pervert, not a monster!

I didn't see a thread about coffee (since 2018), so I figured I'd drop one in.

Come in and lets chat about brewing methods, grinds, beans, preferred drinks, and all of that!

SAMNTHA R, Athenea and whitecoffee1 like this.
  2. xanking

xanking Trusted Member

Currently using a Baratza Encore between the 28-30 grind level for my coffee. Primarily using a French Press for daily drinking, but my Aero Press gets some use when I want something a bit stronger.

3. wellthisisawkward

I've got a DeLonghi BCO320T combination espresso/drip, and it's OK for an intro to espresso machine.

For the hot summer months, i've been doing cold brew in a 2qt pitcher, so it makes great concentrate I can then dilute with some water or milk.

If I want something strong, but I don't want to use my espresso machine, I usually head towards my phin filter. It makes a great cup of coffee, however it's only about 4-6 oz, so the quantity is a bit smaller.

I've been meaning to get a good grinder, as my spice grinder hasn't been giving me consistent grinds lately, and I'd love to not just "blender" my beans. So, I've been shopping around for an inexpensive conical burr grinder.

SAMNTHA R and whitecoffee1 like this.
  4. xanking

xanking Trusted Member

The Baratza Encore or if you want to spend a little more money, the Virtuoso are the best bang for your buck grinders you can get. Very consistent grinds.

5. wellthisisawkward

Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely look into it.

whitecoffee1 likes this.
  6. Odette

Odette No one can convey what they do not feel

I don't have a favourite coffee, but I do have a strong, intense flavour. The coffee I like the most is when dad gets out of bed before me and wakes me up with a coffee and I drink it in bed, while we talk about how to organise the day. I like waking up smelling coffee and drinking that first coffee in bed, prepared by dad for me. :):):)

7. whitecoffee1

whitecoffee1 Moderator Staff Member

I mostly prefer my coffee black with some sugar. But I also enjoy some Cappuccino from time to time.

Athenea, wellthisisawkward and Odette like this.
  8. Odette

Odette No one can convey what they do not feel

I like Cappuccino, although the milk takes a bit of the flavour away. Do you add cocoa powder? Milk froth is fun, if you draw shapes. :):):)
    upload_2023-4-30_10-48-44.jpeg

Bimom58, SAMNTHA R, Athenea and 2 others like this.
  9. whitecoffee1

whitecoffee1 Moderator Staff Member

Cocoa powder is a must have with cappuccino for me. :)

10. wellthisisawkward

Same here! I prefer to taste the flavors of the coffee, as a lot of roasts can tend to be a little fruity if they aren't super old.

Odette and whitecoffee1 like this.
  11. wellthisisawkward

What's everyone drinking today?

My wife got a horchatta from a drive through she didn't really care for, so I saved it for my cold brew this morning.

Carmel cold brew with a shot of horchatta for me!

whitecoffee1 likes this.
  12. blue eyed girl

blue eyed girl Account Deleted

I just go to Tim Hortons :)

13. wellthisisawkward

We don't have any Tim Hortons where I live unfortunately.
    I find that I would spend entirely too much money if I were to go out of the house to buy coffee all the time.

SAMNTHA R likes this.
  14. blue eyed girl

blue eyed girl Account Deleted

If a town dosnt have timmies it doesnt officialy exist. :D

damn phone I cant type worth a shit today :mad:

15. selemis

selemis Trusted Member

Cold brew for me!

16. wellthisisawkward

Yeah! I love making concentrate at the beginning of the week and mixing it in all sorts of drinks.

17. Athenea

Athenea Some dream of a beautiful world, others create it. Staff Member

I don't have any coffee of preference. I have drunk many coffees from many parts of the world from South America to the Orient, Asia, even kopi luwak and I do not understand the price of that coffee which does not justify its taste, except for its exoticness. At home we had a coffee capsule machine, comfortable and fast and we used to buy different coffee capsules of different flavour intensity, but my sister saw a report on TV about these coffee capsules, how difficult and expensive it is to recycle them, how they are polluting the planet and the large amount of coffee capsules that are produced every day as waste because their recycling is very costly and very expensive. We have therefore removed the coffee capsule machine and now have a coffee machine that grinds the coffee and prepares a more pleasant tasting coffee and, in my sister's words, with more environmentally friendly waste. The coffee we are drinking now at home is Colombian coffee and the previous one was from India. In my company I have also banned coffee capsule machines, I have bought several coffee machines like the ones at home for the workers' canteen. I like coffee not only as a drink, but also for the whole world that surrounds it, for everything that coffee means, the whole world of relaxation, friendship and conversation. When my sister or friends call me on the phone and say, I'm in such and such a coffee shop, come and have a coffee. When we have lunch with the family and the coffee is the final point of that atmosphere of family love, without anyone worrying about my sister, seeing her happy. Also coffee at home, with my sister, while it's raining or snowing outside. Like Odette, I also like the aroma of coffee that fills the house, it is an aroma that smells of our parents and reminds me of when my sister and I drank coffee with our parents in front of the fireplace on winter days. It is a scent that smells of my sister when we share a coffee, while my sister smiles, on the terrace of a hotel after skiing. It is a scent that smells of friendship with my friends in long conversations about deep or banal subjects with lots of laughter. Also now it is an aroma that smells of the beach, of violin with a sweet friendship, with people who are a gift of life. But the coffee I like most is coffee with my sister when she is concentrating and enjoying watching the streets fill with snow, how the rain cleans the buildings, I like coffee with my sister in our cabin on the lake, when she goes outside in her pyjamas and rolled up in a blanket watching the first rays of sunlight filtering through the trees of the woods surrounding the lake. It's a beautiful image, my sister rolled up in a blanket, cup of coffee in her hand, looking at the rising sun, her eyes still sleepy, beautiful in her natural beauty, hair messy, relaxed in her first smile of the day. For me it is the best coffee in the universe.

That is the best coffee in the universe.

18. wellthisisawkward

My goodness that's beautiful!

I agree, a lot of my enjoyment from coffee does come from the smell, and not necessarily the effects I get from it.
    The best coffee isn't always the flavor, but who you share it with.

Odette, Athenea and whitecoffee1 like this.
  19. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

I have caffeine withdrawal if I don't get my coffee hourly. I should just hook up an IV.
    My co - workers bought a Keurig and put it in my office so I'd stop biting people.

20. wellthisisawkward

Do your coworkers also supply you with the pods? Otherwise they just dropped a clunky machine on your counter, and expect you to buy the k-cups to fill it!

whitecoffee1 likes this.