1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Would you go back to the 70s or 80s?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rubber Ducky, Nov 30, 2020.

?

Would you go back?

1. Yes, I would

15 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. No, I would not

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. I buy a DMC Delorean and call myself Marty McFly

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitecoffee1

whitecoffee1 Moderator Staff Member

There is another thing that enables communications:

It's called a mouth. ;)

What you said is making communication easier though these days. (Especially with longer-distance-communication)

Akbloke and Brutus58 like this.
  2. Star_of_sea

Star_of_sea Collector of ephemeral moments.

Yes, at a distance, but also in the vicinity, because I would not go out on the balcony to shout at a friend who was in the street. If I shouted like that using my mouth, my neighbours wouldn't like it, because whether they are right or wrong, my neighbours have a good opinion of me. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

3. Star_of_sea

Another different matter would be the music, there are some songs that I like from that time, but mostly I feel them very conservative, very classical, with a touch of contained modernity, as if they wanted to be different but did not dare to go all the way in their break with the past and looking for new paths. And the clothes, I can't imagine at that time dressing like that on a Saturday night or even with those dance moves, I love dancing, but I wouldn't move from my chair or step on the dance floor having to dance like that, I wouldn't have any comfort in doing so.
    upload_2020-12-4_19-56-23.jpeg

curiousFred and butterfly like this.
  4. Rubber Ducky

Rubber Ducky Trusted.Member

I do have a lot of friends scattered around the country. We do keep in touch in a Whatsapp group. That's fun and we share thoughts and moments. But nothing - and I mean absolutely nothing - beats getting together in a hotel over a weekend. Having fun together, eating together, drinking together is what realy matters.

You cannot replace a touch, a kiss or a laugh by something transfered in IP packets. ;)

Edit : Hardstyle is a late 90s Dutch invention. Not very fond of it. The Dutch also "invented" the Euro Dance scene which, even 20+ years later, is frequently on air. I like that more.

The 80's had epic music like Queen, Guns n Roses, Bon Jovi, Dire Straights, U2, AC/DC, The Police, Aerosmith, Genesis etc. A song could take 13 minutes to play and had a meaning, a story. It's called a ballad and the one immediately popping my mind begins with "It was a rainy night when he came into sight.Standing by the road, no umbrella, no coat". It was released in 1990, but my excuse is, it's a cover from a 1979 song.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    curiousFred, Brutus58, Djole and 2 others like this.
  5. Captain White

Captain White Trusted Member

gabboguy makes a fair point about the internet.. I wish I'd taken an interest in it about ten years before I actually did. There were images commonly posted even 5 years ago that you wouldn't see now ( I won't go into detail on that !) and chatrooms were a much simpler affair and more common. No jumping through CAPTCHA hurdles or demands for E-mail addresses.. I miss the original Chatstep more than I can begin to say :( There is a much greater emphasis on surveillance and tracking internet use - it used to be possible to go into a shop and buy a dongle , no questions asked , but now if you pay cash you are asked for an address. Also PAYG simcards now restrict the sites you can visit and require an E-mail address for you to use them. It used to be a very simple thing to generate an E-mail address but now a mobile number is required for 'two factor identification' so that your geographical location can be triangulated.. I remember thinking that the internet was a brave new world ( and it was once ) and it used to be a source of revelation and wonder to me but the glorious subversive freedoms that it once offered are gradually being taken away..

6. Star_of_sea

It is true that a personal and live experience, such as a caress, a kiss, a hug and even a look or a smile in real life, transmits many more sensations and feelings than a simple camera or a message, but such encounters are not always possible and, in the absence of them or extremely pronounced distances, they are a good palliative. Not always (studies, work, commitments...) make it viable to meet regularly with friends, even close ones, but being in contact with them, even through computer means, is also a way of having and maintaining that contact.
    Yes, it was a time of great groups, although not all of them are to my liking and in Spain, specifically, it was a time of maximum freedom with songs that nobody imagined a few years before they could be released, much less in concerts. I just wanted to say that seen from a distance, it seemed like some songs and costumes, a bit exaggerated, marking some differences that today are expressed more in an internal than an external way.

"It was a rainy night when he appeared in sight. Standing by the side of the road, without an umbrella, without a coat". I loved that phrase, it's how you think a book would begin and, from there, the imagination can complete a very suggestive story.

Hardstyle was invented in the 90s, but in 2020 I dance it with much more grace and rhythm. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D;);););););););););););)

7. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

A nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. Once was enough.

curiousFred and leftout4 like this.
  8. Star_of_sea

A question where the clear winner would always be the 80s and 90s is the degeneration that has existed in recent years in the respect that at that time people were considered the repositories of a wisdom, well learned in everyday life, such as the elderly, or through academic studies, such as teachers. Today it is a sad reality not only the mockery, but also the contempt of many young people towards good advice or learning from an experience that, even saving the generational difference, is always interesting to know, but the arrogance and conceit of many people of my age, deprive them of knowledge and to know a vision of life that is not because it is previous or old, but because it is less interesting. As far as studies are concerned, they only think about close and daily welfare, short term fun projects, going out on a Saturday night to party all night even if on Monday they have an exam or spending hours playing cards in the university cafeteria, in order to justify to their parents their daily attendance to classes. The most important question is that I do not understand what future they expect to have, what contribution of work experience or academic training they expect to present to whoever they have to convince, tomorrow, to hire them and be worthy of a salary and health care that should be paid for by the employer. When they are 25 or 30 years old and apply for a job with a CV that is empty of work and studies, the impression they will make must be of an informal person, as well as being lazy. Today they live from their video games at home, from their days at the bar with their friends, they only think about hurrying up the glass of life at this particular moment, without thinking about the arrival of a tomorrow, living off their parents' money, demanding their right to clothes, food, bed, fun, without thinking that there is a tomorrow. Unfortunately my generation has been brought up to demand rights, without making them understand that when there is a right there is an obligation and you must first fulfil the duty before you can even remotely demand a minimum right. If I sacrifice myself during the winter to pass my university subjects, my prize is the summer, three months of sleeping, watching TV, going out with friends, enjoying the beach, travelling with my mother and spending hours in the swimming pool. I have never really understood what future they expect to enjoy, whether it is their card games and video games, their lost hours in the university cafeteria or on Saturday nights. I understand that it is up to us to offer a different vision of life inherited from previous generations, I understand that we must be rebellious because of our age, as were, to a greater or lesser extent, previous generations although, already dressed in conformity, a good job, a good salary and wanting to be the perfect example for their offspring, they deny it, as does mother although grandmother tells me about her young and rebellious past and mother tells me, smiling, that grandmother tells me too many things. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D I understand all that, but they don't understand that real and authentic life begins when they have to look for a job without bringing in any previous experience and, in the case of studies, real and authentic life begins when they finish university.

butterfly likes this.
  9. Rubber Ducky

I wonder what the next generation would be like. The offspring of the current youth. Yes, they will breed :eek:, but I am not sure if raising your offspring will be any good if you yourself are a selfish, day-to-day, careless individual with a seemingly busy schedule, a relational status "it's complicated" on Facebook and no time for your offspring.

Probably, western generations will become extinct due to the endless list of demands they have for their future boy- or girlfriend. Yes, I've been dating girls 10 years younger. Why aren't we in a relationship I asked. Well, she said... and started addressing reasons why I was not her boyfriend. All the things she said applied to something I couldn't change. Years later she admitted "she was demanding too much". She ignored the fact she herself had some serious mental issues, it was I who needed to be perfect.

Luck will have it that if you are creative and know how to use use a computer, there is money to be made. Creative content is more in demand then ever. Doctors, dentists and car mechanics too, so some of them really need to want to study.

whitecoffee1 and Star_of_sea like this.
  10. Star_of_sea

And lawyers, don't forget them, women and men lawyers will always be needed. ;);););););););)

11. Rubber Ducky

If you thought getting married is expensive..... Try a divorce! :rolleyes:

Akbloke and Star_of_sea like this.
  12. Djole

Djole Trusted.Member

Different times!

Every era has its good and bad points. Think about all of that good music created in the 17th, 18th, 19th. century, and what were their living conditions and social development.

More than technology of today, the social development of the socially advanced countries is what is important in our time.

If we were gay, or black, or some other 'weird shit', it wold make little sense meeting in front of a bar, any bar, using a cellphone in the 1940's of the last or previous century.

The Marxist movement has been widely talked about, but what about the 'Anarchists'? Emma Goldman, Bakunin? They were very successful until they were crushed, in Spain, brutally, as well as all over the world.

That is the only sliver that is worth our in our present time. The hard won freedom for some, in some places of the world. Showing that it is possible. (Freedom)

But as the other poster said, now, even the free net is a two step verification process. Just showing you, that if you are not with the 'in crowd' you are still not IN. You have to be VERIFIED! - But, do you?

Ideas should be shared freely, not bartered with or approved. Peer review is the only process that is acceptable, not peer-pressure.

We need the technology of communication to spread our ideas to as many people as we can. To show to people that are being oppressed, that it doesn't have to be like that. And we are free to use it as we will, and sit around the same table and not say a word.

The 60's and 70's of the 20th. century were a time that people were fighting 'The Man', 'The Law', and it is sad to say that as of this writing, 'The Law' won!

You cannot say what you want, do what you want, you have to VERIFY yourself, not once, but TWICE, and pay for it! Pay for it with your freedom of expression, your freedom of thought, your freedom to be heard!

Yes, communication is good, and fast, you can tell the people of the world something in an instant, Instagram. But, as long as it falls within the guide lines! Or you will be banned, cut off, Un-liked..............................

13. Star_of_sea

In the world of lawyers there is a phrase with a lot of sarcasm and it says: "Some marriages end well, others last a lifetime".

Brutus58 likes this.
  14. TomSawyer

TomSawyer Trusted Member

Ahh...the seventies. My favorite decade. No worries when I was in my teenager-years.

butterfly likes this.
  15. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

The song you quoted, was that by Heart? Who did the original?

16. SuperSteveT

SuperSteveT Trusted Member

Very well, McFly. Lol.

I hope you understand the reference.

17. Rubber Ducky

The song was first recorded as "All I Want to Do Is Make Love to You" by Dobie Gray in 1979, though with different lyrics. I'm not a musician but it's stated the melody is the same, as are some of the chords. Both versions have the same writer. Hearts version was written for someone else, but turned down. Heart disliked the song and won't sing it live ever again. It was their biggest hit next to Alone.

Another singer hating his extremely succesful creation is Radiohead and the song is called "Creep". It comes by in every talent show and is covered a million times.

Star_of_sea and Brutus58 like this.
  18. RobbiePied

RobbiePied Account Deleted

I never forgave Marty for not banging his mother that day :D

19. whitecoffee1

whitecoffee1 Moderator Staff Member

Creating a temporal paradox :p

Brutus58 likes this.
  20. RobbiePied

RobbiePied Account Deleted

I'd risk our species very survival if I had that opportunity

Star_of_sea and SuperSteveT like this.