1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Vaccines and the future of America

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by Christoph Lawrence, Dec 18, 2020.

?

Who is going to get the COVID-19 vaccines?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    44.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christoph Lawrence

Christoph Lawrence Trusted Member

Hey everyone,

Not very political but once the vaccines are distributed across the states for everyone. Curious who is going to get it? I know this has been a crazy year but we all got to stick together in tough times like this. I know I am! Just would like to do a poll on it.

2. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

Normally it takes MANY years of development and trials (animal and human) before a drug is brought to market. Do to the severity of the virus and desperate need for a vaccine, I'm sure that lots of corners were cut. The "grandstanding" of by former presidents to convince people that the vaccine is safe was a propaganda stunt. For all I know, they received saline injections.

hardcanoodle likes this.
  3. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

The general consensus up here is to not be in a hurry. Wait until a couple of million Americans have had the shot, so we can see if they grow horns or cloven hoofs etc.

Seriously, I will of course when they get around to me. My hubby will not, not the Pfizer one anyway, too great an allergic reaction risk. We'll see about the others in time.

HoneyBee and Brutus58 like this.
  4. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

This article is long but its arguing who should be given priority on the vaccine. What's tragic about the argument is that some are advocating that the elderly are predominately White so should be given a lower priority level to ensure Social Justice Equality. That way more White people will die, to even out the fact that more Black people are dying now.

The Elderly vs Essential Workers: Who Should Get the Vaccine First

5. muttley

muttley Trusted.Member

Unfortunately, not surprising. The NY Times isn't known for being unbiased, or honest (when it doesn't suit their narrative).

hardcanoodle likes this.
  6. Rubber Ducky

Rubber Ducky Trusted.Member

Can't say anything for the USA but Europe is starting to vaccine soon, some countries this year, some others start early January.

Who comes first? Well, government is talking about those who are most vulnerable first. Then it depends on supply and logistics. We can probably skip the so called Bible Belt and antivaxxers.

As my country is incapable to do things right (wearing a face mask by law is a complete nono here) I guess lockdown won't end for those who have had the antidote.

7. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

Currently there is a "mutated" form of COVID-19 that's running rampant in England. Countries are banning flights from England to land in their countries. Early on in the pandemic researchers said that the virus was resistant to mutating. Would the vaccines be effective for the new strain? Do the vaccine makers have to start all over again for the "mutated" strain? What about those that survived a COVID-19 infection, would they have developed immunity to the mutated strain? Are they at risk of going through another infection all over again?

8. Rubber Ducky

I guess it's like the flu. It mutates constantly and you get sick every time. Elderly need a yearly flu vaccine just to learn their bodies the new mutations. In that case, Covid is here to stay.

Brutus58 likes this.
  9. TriadSibling

TriadSibling Bro/Sis Enthusiast

If it's mutating then I'd say they were clearly wrong.
    If mutation is occurring, I have a feeling COVID-19 will be around for at least a few more years.

Brutus58 likes this.
  10. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

Who said it was resistant to mutation? Nothing is resistant, everything is constantly mutating.
    From what I have seen, the vaccines should work on the new mutation. But that doesn't mean they'll work on the next one.
    Bye the way, this is not the first mutation of SARS-CoV-2, there are quite a few variants clearly defined so far.
    It would be reasonable to expect that a yearly booster will be required, just like the flu shot.

HoneyBee, Dane and Brutus58 like this.
  11. Venguer

Venguer New Member

The states with the most infected will receive the vaccine first

12. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

I either misspoke or just didn't word it clearly. I recall that early on it was said that the COVID virus was "stable" and would take a long time to mutate. I know that all viruses mutate, some just do it faster than others. That's the way a virus works. They infect a cell and take over the cells transcription processes. That's how they in corperate new genetic material, DNA/RNA, into their own genone(s). Then these "newly enhanced" viruses make their out of one host and into another and repeat the process. I guess the researchers/scientists were wrong about speed/ability of mutations occurring. I guess that "herd immunity" won't be of any help either. If that was a real thing to begin with. Now that I think of it, "herd immunity" may actually speed up the mutation rate.

I still won't get the vaccine by either company until after a few hundred thousand people take it and all the side effects are realized.

13. Insp Gadget

Insp Gadget Trusted.Member

And I return to find this !!!??

Brutus, I am absolutely heartbroken. You've never written so eloquently for me !!!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    ------------------------------------

Am I going to get vaccinated ? You've got to be kidding. It is nothing more than following yet another media-inspired socio-political fad/movement. There are a lot of them out there these days. And I neither believe nor trust the people who control what the media spews out.

itshot and Brutus58 like this.
  14. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

As for being eloquent, it was an oversite and I promise not to do it again. (Big Smiley Emoji)

When I watched all these past presidents get a "vaccination" shot, how do know that it just wasn't a normal saline shot? Just to make the masses feel good about a vaccine. Does anybody really think they would put themselves at risk?

Happy as all hell to see you back!!

itshot and Insp Gadget like this.
  15. Insp Gadget

Insp Gadget Trusted.Member

Who stands to profit ?
    Who tells us all about it ?
    Do I detect a pattern here ?

* Here's a rap sheet on Pfizer - it's from 2017, so today there could be even more reasons for concern.

https://www.corp-research.org/pfizer

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  16. itshot

itshot Trusted.Member

I'm 80 and don't intend to get the vaccine. I've heard some people getting a bad reactions, including a nurse.
    I'm not out and about that much but when I am out I see what's around me and I mask up. I'm not scared,
    just cautious.

Dane, Brutus58 and Insp Gadget like this.
  17. Rubber Ducky

Well, there is an issue here. Let me explain with my situation. Everybody in my country gets vaccinated for diphtheria, whooping cough, tetanus and polio. There are two small minorities, the antivaxxers and the deeply religious. The antivaxxers read things on facebook, hear things from the mother of the aunt of the neighbours neighbour and won't vaccine due to that. The deeply religious part believes their life is in the hand of God and they should not mess with his plans. This was all in balance. The few people not having been vaccinated are protected by the people around them who were. Lately, those antivaxxers getting vocal so a lot of people ignore the call to get their vaccine. Because it was on facebook.

Anyway, the percentage of vaccinated people dropped to near 95% and this is where the government says it could go wrong. Not for those who had the vaccine, but for those who refused.

So, in order to battle Covid we can do two things. We could either all go to the local bar/pub again, shout our favorite football team to their victory and have dance festivals all over the place. The result is a huge amount of infections, and a lot of dead people because of this. Or we could vaccine everybody. It is not our choice to make, the government makes this choice for us. They did the same for polio etc. The problem is the ones refusing. If the numbers aren't high enough, Covid will stay and we will be in lockdown until it's over. Which it won't since a lot of people tested positive don't follow the guidelines and still do what they want. You say you are cautious, and I believe you. But the ones surrounding you might throw all caution in the wind.

In the mean time the worlds economy has gotten to a grinding halt. If you work in the leisure and entertainment industry, you are truly fucked. So we need the economy to spin up again. Schools need to open. restaurants need to be booked, cruises need to sail, disney needs to open, and we all need a haircut somewhere soon.

And I do not know about other places, but our youth here is getting bored. Illegal parties every weekend and they are now experimenting with illegal fireworks. Blew up someone house a few blocks away. Hundreds of kilos are impounded weekly, sometimes enough to blow up the complete city block.

So, if they offer you your vaccination, think of what I just wrote. Then I hope you will make a wise descision.

Thank you.

Rhue, HoneyBee, Brutus58 and 2 others like this.
  18. itshot

itshot Trusted.Member

Thanks Ducky
    Where are you from?

19. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

I believe that hand washing is more important than masks. BOTH are needed. Just wash your hands as frequently as possible AND wear a mask. At this point I truly think a mask won't keep you safe, it keeps the wearers from spreading it to others. HAND WASHING IS IMPORTANT TO KEEP YOU SAFE!!!!! But what do I know, I only have a masters degree in nursing.

20. Rubber Ducky

Western Europe itshot.

Add social distancing for good measures ;). And stay at home. If I read the papers, a lot of people are ignoring that.

Brutus58 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.