1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Have You Been Brainwashed

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by Neophyte, Aug 31, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

How would you know if you have been brainwashed. How could you tell if someone else has been brainwashed. What are the signs of brainwashing. Do you believe if brainwashing even exists. And if you don't was it your idea that nit doesn't exist.

2. Neophyte

3. Neophyte

4. muttley

muttley Trusted.Member

To a certain degree, I think everyone is brainwashed. Especially at young ages.
    You don't have a reason not to trust everything adults tell you, untill you can discover facts/knowledge to the contrary.
    No one is born with the belief/awareness of Santa Clause or even God, you're not given an option to believe otherwise, your beleifs are dictated to you by the ones entrusted to raise you.

5. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

I don't know about "brainwashed" being the right term here. Certainly we are all indoctrinated, imprinted as children, but that is on a blank canvas.
    Brainwashing implies wiping out what we already "know" and replacing it with something else, which is totally different.

Can it be done? Yes, absolutely. Is it being done on a widespread scale? No. Conspiracy theorists and bloggers aren't brainwashing people, they're just peddling propaganda to those that already believe it anyway.

G.m, Incs and Charles Fourier like this.
  6. Jean Valjean

Jean Valjean Account Deleted

No i have not

7. muttley

muttley Trusted.Member

Ah, makes sense. Guess I wasn't thinking of the distiction between seeding an open field, and clearing the forest for the purpose of replanting.

pussycat likes this.
  8. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

I use religion as a great example. If you catch the stupidity and contradictions young? It does not take.

I will give you my example. I would be told if I dont "do well" in Hebrew School I could not be Bar Mitzvahed. I realized at EIGHT that I would be at 13 no matter what. How? I, 2 years in, knew little Hebrew and somehow was not "left back".

9. Neophyte

Has anyone noticed that in a period of six years that millions of people in the United States, and elsewhere, have completely changed their beliefs in society. There are people willing to turn in their own parents, to the authorities for reasons no-one use to believe were important.

Dane likes this.
  10. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

Do you know this is all prophesized?
    Not just Christian religion, but others too.

11. Neophyte

If you think that the United States is doing well, the economy is doing great, employment is just fine, Race relations is improving, inflation is under control, the World is getting safer, crime is going down, people are happier, then you have been brainwashed.

Charles Fourier likes this.
  12. Neophyte

13. changoTor

changoTor Trusted Member

I think Gaslighting is more what is happening in US politics.

To me, brainwashing makes you eventually believe what you are told TO think and gaslighting is when someone says something often enough, then you start to question what YOU think.

14. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

People voting for the same parties even when they know its corrupted political parties... That's brainwashed people.

changoTor and Charles Fourier like this.
  15. Charles Fourier

Charles Fourier Proud incest advocate

There’s a guy (plus science fiction author) who literally made the bet to win a lot of money because of people’s stupidity by creating a religion: he won his bet, it was Scientology.

Personnaly, i agree with Albert Einstein: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Incs, changoTor and MilaHot like this.
  16. changoTor

changoTor Trusted Member

I totally agree with that. Blind faith is just another form of conditioning. Usually started at birth.

Charles Fourier and MilaHot like this.
  17. Charles Fourier

Charles Fourier Proud incest advocate

I think parties should debate on interpretation of facts and what we do about it, but when a party simply deny facts, invent "alternative facts" as we call it now (it’s just a new way of talking about George Orwell’s doublethink), that's when brainwash occured.

MilaHot, Incs and changoTor like this.
  18. changoTor

changoTor Trusted Member

"Alternative facts" is like saying one hundred and ten percent. Neither is a real thing.

Facts are facts, and percentages only go to 100.

But my amp goes to 11.

MilaHot, Dane and Charles Fourier like this.
  19. buffyfan

Very true. I think the line is when proof otherwise is shown? You dig in and say "Well I WAS TAUGHT". I call that, in my personal life, the "elder" conundrum. Where older people are more concerned with (sometimes inconsequential) things Nana or Pop Pop told them was true. Examples I have come across. My Father. Truly believes that going out with wet hair will cause a cold. Not wearing socks will cause a cold. Because his MOTHER told him. This is also a man who says, at least once a week, that his mother knew so little.

Incs likes this.
  20. buffyfan

Depends on when you are measuring "Down" from. The point 0 matters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.