1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Guns and personal protection

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by goldie34, Dec 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

We are all a product of our societies.

Detroit, Michigan, USA : murders per capita, 2016 = 48.2
    Windsor, Ontario, Can: murders per capita, 2016 = 2.5

2 industrial cities right across the river from eachother, seperated by 1/4 mile of water, but worlds apart in life.

To say that to live in peace and harmony with eachother is a dream that will never happen, true. If you are American.
    America is a violent place. And it glorifies violence. Just try to watch a TV program or a movie where somebody isn't getting killed. They're not made, because nobody will watch them. Everything's a cop show, or a war movie. America wears its violence like a badge of honour.

In Canada, we don't. When bad things happen here, we are horrified. We don't cheer.

I don't carry a gun around with me when I'm here. I don't need to, and I don't feel the need to. When I cross the border, even upstate New York where I feel quite at home, I feel like I'd like to have it with me. It's just a different society, with different attitudes and different morals.

So don't be surprised when others pass critical comments. It's just that when you judge someone else by your own standards, the other guy is always going to come up short. No matter which side of the fence you're looking from.

2. pussycat

Hockey stick - used to manipulate a puck

Hammer - used to install nails

Baseball bat - used to strike a ball

.357 magnum - used to kill people

Now, there may be many other uses for the first three items, but I can't think of an option for the fourth.

curiousFred likes this.
  3. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

You mean to tell me that you never saw/watched a cowboy action shooting event? How about the Olympics with there shooting competition. Sporting Clays? Misusing a "tool" can result in harm/death. How many people have been bludgeoned to death with a hammer or bat? High school hockey has now been banned because of "deadly assault" hockey sticks (I'm not joking), as well as baseball also. It's not the "tool", it is the fault of the shit head using it.

Look at crime/murder rate skyrocket in London, England with banning of firearms. Now they want to ban knives as well as any thing else they can think of. I feel safer here than there.

Danny Boy 1966 likes this.
  4. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

The high murder per-capita rate in Detroit is due to the people, not the availability of guns. 9 out of 10 cities in the U.S. with the highest murder rate are run by Democrats and 10 out of 10 cities with the highest murder rate, has a disproportionately high minority population, the next significant causal factor is the economic well being of the city. So murder rates increase with Democrat local government control and increase minority population. Gun violence does not correlate with increase gun ownership.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    Danny Boy 1966 and Brutus58 like this.
  5. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

.357 magnum - used to prevent someone from harming or killing me and my family

Brutus58 likes this.
  6. pussycat

I never said it did. I said the USA is inherently a dangerous society, and I stand by my statement.

curiousFred and Dane like this.
  7. pussycat

Very effectively I would imagine. I prefer the Walther P99.

8. pussycat

I think you just highlighted my previous point. You are saying that your society has become so violent they are banning high school sports?

9. pussycat

And just for the record, I'm not an advocate for banning guns. I'm an advocate for keeping them out of the hands of the aforementioned shit heads.

Danny Boy 1966, Dane and Zarp like this.
  10. Zarp

Zarp Trusted.Member

I 100% agree with you. Myself I am a legally armed citizen who did all the background checks and other processes needed to receive my concealed carry permit. That being said.

If you are carrying a gun for any and I mean any other reason than for self protection then you should not carry one. It is a huge responsibility to be armed in public. The carrying of a gun does not make you a tough guy, big man (woman), invincible or any other such nonsense. Guns are not toys nor are they jewelry or accessories.

Many years ago when I was 21 I bought my first handgun. I went and got my first carry permit. The first night I stepped out of the house my chest puffed up and damn if I didn’t feel like a tough guy. About ten minutes later it hit me what I was feeling. I turned around went straight home took of the gun, put it up and threw away my permit. It took me ten years before I get myself mature enough to start carrying a gun again.

11. Neophyte

A Free Society is inherently more dangerous. In order to have a safer society, individual and group Freedoms must be restricted. So to live in a Safe Society, you cannot be Free. Many people are quite willing to give up their freedom, so they can be safe.

12. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

The liberals are using any crazy thought that enters their to justify anything they deem "dangerous". Even high school football has been terminated in many school districts. Because some feeble minded INDIVIDUAL commits a crime misusing a "tool", then ALL who have the same tool is a "danger". I call this "misuse" of the First Amendment/freedom of speech. To spread fear and hate behind the guise of the "better good" for society. They may as well scream "fire".

13. pussycat

True.
    It's always going to be a compromise. Then again, it always has. We are social creatures, pack animals. We will always be more successful as a pack (because individually we are not that formidable), but with that we must have a pecking order, and respect it.
    If you choose to be a lone wolf, do so. But if you become an annoyance to the pack, don't delude yourself, they will deal with you.

Dane, Brutus58 and Neophyte like this.
  14. pussycat

Up here, you are not allowed to carry a handgun. You are not allowed to carry a concealed weapon of any kind. Its a very serious offense (jail time). Actually its very difficult to even legally own a handgun.
    But unless you like to frequent some bad neighborhoods, you don't need to. There's a simple solution to not being shot. Don't go there.

;)

Brutus58 likes this.
  15. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

Unless those individuals decide to come to you.

curiousFred, Dane and Dad's toy like this.
  16. pussycat

That's always a possibility anywhere. But it's much more likely in your domain.

Depends where you live. If you're in an urban area (other than a bad one) the police response is pretty good. 911 will get you help pretty quick. There really isn't much justification for owning a gun for "self defense". This is a civilized country.
    However, if you live in a rural area, police response is a joke. Simple geography, there isn't going to be a cop just around the corner. So yes, I think owning a gun is a reasonable and prudent action. (some of my fellow Canadians would disagree with that). Also, if you live in the woods (like me), you have dangerous animals to consider. However, owning rifles and shotguns is perfectly legal, with the required permits. I have no problem with the police knowing what firearms we legally own, and neither do they. I'm not the threat.
    You do not, however, have the right to carry those guns around with you (unless you're out in the bush or going hunting).
    We also have very strict rules about how firearms and ammunition are stored (locked gun cabinets) and transported.
    Do these laws work? Yes, to a degree. I don't personally think imposing more restrictions would make any difference.

Lets face it, if some "shit head" decides to shoot someone, do you really think he's going to care that the gun he's using is legal or not?

curiousFred and Brutus58 like this.
  17. Neophyte

Something I posted years ago, its probably still valid.

Brutus58 and Dane like this.
  18. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

As a nurse or anyone with a brain can say "when seconds count, police are only minutes away".

curiousFred and Dane like this.
  19. pussycat

Yeah I know, and the fire department hasn't lost a foundation yet.

I don't know which is the scarier thought. Having you living next door or having Neophyte living next door.

:p

Brutus58 likes this.
  20. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

That means you are well protected on both sides. Be happy and grateful for your neighbors who have your back.

Dane likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.