1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Favorite works of literature?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Random_Incubus, Jul 7, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Random_Incubus

Random_Incubus Account Deleted

My personal favorites thus far are
    -Make Your Bed, Little Things That Can Change Your Life...And Maybe the World, by Admiral H. McRaven
    -You are a Badass, by Jen Sincero
    -The Total Money Makeover, by Dave Ramsey
    -Indianapolis: The True Story of the Worst Sea Disaster in U.S. Naval History and the Fifty-Year Fight to Exonerate an Innocent Man, by Lynn Vincent and Sara Vladic
    -The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom

Just to name a few. But I'm interested to hear about your favorites.

2. Athenea

Athenea Some dream of a beautiful world, others create it. Staff Member

"Ulysses", James Joyce
    "Waiting for Godot", Samuel Beckett
    "The Leopard", Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa
    "Silk", Alessandro Baricco
    "It whe Unbearable Lightness of Being" Milan Kundera
    "Steppenwolf", Hermann Hesse
    "The Magic Mountain", Thomas Mann

3. moonisraker

moonisraker Account Deleted

Classics!

Athenea likes this.
  4. Random_Incubus

I'll have to check a few out when I get the downtime.

Athenea likes this.
  5. BustingInsideHer

BustingInsideHer Account Deleted

My favorites change around a lot, I don’t think I have ever found like a go-to book. Lately I have been reading a lot of old sci-fi, in particular Philip K Dick. Like a lot of old sci-fi the specific predictions of a future did not exactly come to pass (how could they?) but I think he really nails a certain feeling of disintegration that unfortunately has held up very well. “Ubik”, “A Scanner Darkly”, and “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?” are my favorites of his. The latter is what the movie “Blade Runner” is based off of but the central themes of the movie and the book are very different (and I think both very interesting but I somewhat prefer the book’s themes).

6. Mirran

Mirran Trusted Member

The Lord of the Rings influenced me greatly in high school. Later Thomas Harris became a favorite author, my pick being Red Dragon. Nowadays I'm strongly considering giving The Count of Monte Cristo another listen on Audible.

7. whitecoffee1

whitecoffee1 Moderator Staff Member

Don't forget about "We Can Remember It For You Wholesame"; The short story by Philip K. Dick which was adapted into the movie Total Recall with Arnold Schwarzenegger.

BustingInsideHer likes this.
  8. Galusha

Galusha Account Deleted

My top 5 books are probably

Our Mutual Friend - Charles Dickens
    The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett
    The Magic Mountain - Thomas Mann
    Ivanhoe - Walter Scott
    Le Morte d'Arthur - Thomas Malory

Athenea likes this.
  9. Athenea

Also interesting is "Minority Report" ("Minority Report", Steven Spielberg, 2002) and "The Man in the High Castle", adapted for television in 2015.

Star_of_sea and (deleted member) like this.
  10. BustingInsideHer

BustingInsideHer Account Deleted

I thought the “Minority Report” adaptation was quite good, especially for a story that on its face did not seem like it would be easy to adapt. I never did see the “Man in the High Castle” TV adaptation. From what I remember of the story itself I liked the quiet parts best, particularly the well-meaning but condescending Japanese diplomat-yuppie couple and the sort of bowing-and-scraping American shopkeeper, pretty good reversal on Dick’s part of stereotypes that were still very live at the time he wrote the story. Wasn’t sure if that made it into the Amazon show, a lot of the advertising seemed more bombastic, “WHAT IF YOUR NEIGHBOR WAS A NAZI???”-type stuff.

Athenea likes this.
  11. Athenea

"The Man in the Castle" is the only work he wrote about alternative history and the only work by the author to receive a Hugo Award. Yes, it was an Amazon series.

Star_of_sea and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Random_Incubus

This is becoming a good thread, I can't wait to check all of these out at the library on my days off work.

Athenea and BustingInsideHer like this.
  13. SevereDeceit

SevereDeceit Trusted.Member

My favorite literature is anything with US history and the Indigenous People. A few of my favorites are Empire of the Summer Moon - S.C. Gwynne

The Battle of the Hundred in the Hand - William Joseph Marshall III. This one is especially good because the author is Lakota and throughout the book (audio version) he speaks the Lakota language. It’s a beautiful language when you hear a native speaker. Mr. Marshall has several books about the Lakota former called the Sioux.

Athenea likes this.
  14. Athenea

There are also other book themes. I am currently reading "The Wandering Unicorn" by Manuel Mujica Lainez, a historical novel describing the First Crusade and narrated by a fairy. My sister is reading "Carol" by Patricia Highsmith, the first novel about love between women that doesn't have a sad ending. Both books are Estrella de Mar recommendations and very good recommendations. They are both excellent reads. :);)

Star_of_sea likes this.
  15. Caravaggio

Caravaggio Trusted Member

16. Athenea

Star_of_sea likes this.
  17. hornyPOS8734

hornyPOS8734 Trusted Member

I wasn't sure if this was favorite incest books or any book. I'm a huge Dune fan and in general Frank Herbert. A great FH book not Dune related was The Heaven Makers. It's a great book about immortal aliens manipulating human lives for their own amusement. I've never been disappointed by Frank Herbert's work. In regards to incest there was a chapter in The Necroscope - Brian Lumley where one of the main characters goes to live with his aunt who has an incest lifestyle and the aunt and his cousins try to seduce him. It was surprisingly very erotic. It was short tho and didn't really relate to the rest of the book. Any Sci Fi nerds out there?

18. Odette

Odette No one can convey what they do not feel

19. Athenea

“The Waves”, Virginia Woolf.

“The Pillars of the Earth”, “World Without End”, Ken Follett.

“Rebeca”, Daphne Du Maurier.

20. permanentlyhorny

permanentlyhorny Trusted Member

First contact, series of novels by Stanislav Lem would be my top pick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.