1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Do you believe in climate change?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by Hatham, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Frankfurter

Frankfurter Trusted Member

Sorry ,but I never heard "Like we are supposed to be under water now?" peddled as fact by any climate scientist. But I did hear scientists say that ocean levels would rise over time. The fact is sea level has risen 6.5 inches since 1950 and scientists say they will continue to do so.

Incs likes this.
  2. Dracoa

Dracoa Trusted.Member

In the 80's/90's, the fear mongering scientists said we'd be under water by now. Also the "hockey stick" graph was peddled as fact that shouldn't be denied as well.

Dane, Brutus58 and itshot like this.
  3. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

In the late 60's and 70's, all the "expert" climatologist said with no doubt we were heading into another
    Ice Age and all of Canada and the Northern States would all be under permafrost by the year 2100.

Dracoa likes this.
  4. texasj65

texasj65 Deviant Extraordinaire

When has climate not changed?

The seas have been higher and lower than than they are now.
    The average temps have been higher and lower than they are now.

Mankind most certainly has the power to ruin the planet through pollution and weapons of mass destruction.

Mankind does not have the power to stop climate change.

The doomsday cult of global warming / climate change use your fear to acquire money and power. Politicians know a good money grab when they see one. Al gore and John Kerry are prime examples.

Dane likes this.
  5. Frankfurter

Frankfurter Trusted Member

It appears you and the others that posted above you are just stating your beliefs. Beliefs that are not based in science or actual facts. I happen to trust the scientists and government agency's (NOAA) that are tracking such changes. It would be safe to say they know more about the subject then any of us here.

Incs likes this.
  6. texasj65

Is there any part of my statement regarding changing climates that is not factual? Or was your statement the equivalent of putting your fingers in your ears and sticking out your tongue?

I'll make it easy...
    Has the weather ever not changed?
    Has the sea level ever been higher?
    Has the sea level ever been lower?
    Has the average earth temperature ever been higher?
    Has the average earth temperature ever been lower?
    Can mankind ruin the planet with pollution?
    Can mankind ruin the planet with weapons of mass destruction?
    Can mankind stop global climate change?

Yes/no answers only.

I'll give you a hint. There is only one "no" answer in there.

Dane likes this.
  7. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

Frankfurter, You are exactly the type of person they are directing their "expertise" to.
    The previous 2 post, read them again, we've who are old enough, including you, should know to never believe that anything
    that any government puts out about man-made climate change.

Don't you remember the 60's,70's,80's and 90's dire predictions about the world all the "experts" said would occur?
    In each decade, they said the previous decade predictions were wrong, "But we've got it correct now". All bullshit, every
    prediction ended up wrong.
    It's the same with this current prediction.
    All they are after is $.
    Proof is as soon as this whole shebang of "Man-Made Global Warming" came about, all the big country governments immediately
    went to taxing the world via 'carbon credits'.

The Earth had tropical plants growing in the Arctic millennium ago, then ice coverage all the way down to half of the USA
    today. Then warming to where only the polar cap area are permafrost. That thaw is still going on.

8. butterfly

butterfly Trusted.Member

we have both winter and summer here .one day its winter ,then its summer. is that climate change ?

9. phantom

phantom Account Deleted

There is climate change. That is a basic fact. The question is how to deal with it and how soon. That is the part that is unknown. The concern is that we will not know it is to late for sure, until is probably is to late. By "to late", when we cannot do something to deal with the lack of food and or our own survival on the planet without a major war or something. The problem is that instead of us as a people doing smart things to change the economy it a different an better way, we are trying to force people to change. Stuff like carbon taxes are such a move. This forces people to pay for items, or anything we can that make carbon. This becomes very political quickly as people they push how we should eat and what we should eat. I fully want to do more. but when I have to pay for people to take my recyclables and I have to take it to them, then they go out of business. well it just says the there is an economy/tech issues that has to be solved still. There is also an issue with making the perfect the enemy of the good. I have a volt. it is great, I use almost no gas per year. ( ie normal year..2020 does not count) It was a great step forward to reduce the impact of pollution from cars.. is it perfect nope. But it not the get a full battery car that has limited range and functionality solution which we have not solved yet. There is a lot in different areas we could do a people that will save us money and better for the planet. However the current all or nothing politics .. well they just divide us.

10. Dracoa

Dracoa Trusted.Member

It would be safer to say that they are only human and therefore fallible and corruptible.

The nine most dangerous words in the English language are "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Dane and itshot like this.
  11. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

Actually, you are the one arguing against scientific facts. Have you looked at the scientific numbers being published or are you just repeating what a bunch of people are saying the scientific facts are. If you are looking at the actual data, then you are following the scientific facts. If you are listening to what a bunch of people are telling you what the scientific data are, then you are just listening to hearsay and rumors.

The facts are, the mean global temperature was rising quickly for a period of time, till the mid 00's. Global temperatures seem to have stabilized since that time till now. The scientist can't figure out if the temperature will resume climbing, stay the same, or start dropping. They don't know, and with all the climate change demonstrations going on, they are afraid to do the research to find out.

The average water level of the oceans have stopped rising for the last 10 years. In a couple of those years, the ocean level went down, a very tiny amount, but still down.

The last 2 to 3 years, the northern polar ice cap has been increasing in size. The last 10 years, the southern ice cap has been increasing in size. Last year the Greenland glaciers started growing, instead of shrinking.

The northern polar ice cap is only 5 million years old. If you go back more than 5 million years, there was no ice at the north pole. The ice cap formed when a land bridge was formed between North and South America, before the land bridge was formed a warm water current flowed from the equatorial pacific through to the arctic ocean keeping the north pole ice free.

Recently there has been some fluctuations to the gulf stream current bring warmer water to the arctic ocean off and on. Some data seems to indicate that this is being affected by the erratic drift of the northern magnetic pole. There is some speculation that if the magnetic poles switch, then the warm water flow will be affected enough to melt the northern polar ice cap, regardless of global warming or lack thereof.

I can keep going on with other facts. Or you can look them up yourself, but if you look them up, go to the actual data, not to what someone has interpreted the data to mean.

Dane and Amtor like this.
  12. Amtor

Amtor Account Deleted

Where i came from. We have all 4 seasons. Spring, summer, autumn, winter. In past 20 years winters are getting warmer and warmer in my country. There's less and less snow almost each year. So it's quite obvious it's real.

13. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

Nobody denies that Climate Change exists. But the Climate Change Alarmist likes to say that people who don't agree 100% with them are denying the science. Its a way for them to belittle those who don't agree that the world is coming to an end. If they can paint those who disagree with their apocalyptic predictions as dim witted simpletons, they can argue their detractors can and must be ignored. The people can't be allowed to hear any argument that doesn't further the Alarmist agenda. If they are given any contrary information, the people may not blindly obey the Climate Change Alarmist dictates.

14. Amtor

Amtor Account Deleted

I think you're missing the point here. Like i agree people shouldn't condescend others. But point is people ignoring these potentially horrible changes in nature. So at this point what else is left to do when so many stays ignorant?

15. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

There is nothing you can do. As long as humans put their own short term self interests ahead of the needs of the planet as a whole, things will just continue to spiral downwards until a major correction occurs. Nature will balance itself, just not likely in favour of human survival.

innervision likes this.
  16. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

We just came off the biggest record snowfall and record low temperatures since 1977.

17. texasj65

Your myopic scale of global temperature changes is staggering.

And you call others ignorant...

18. Dracoa

Dracoa Trusted.Member

What horrible changes? The Earth has been a magma covered ocean, an ice ball, and everything in between. The average temperature during the Cretaceous Period was 4 degrees higher than today. If the Earth can recover from being covered in magma and later ice, it'll recover from whatever we might think to do. Super volcano eruptions, typhoons, continent break ups, pole reversals, cosmic bombardments, and you think humans have done anything that even remotely compares. We are insignificant compared to what the Earth has endured.

Dane likes this.
  19. Bh5153

Bh5153 Trusted.Member

Humans will never be able to destroy the planet less nuclear war. The global warming/climate change people are left overs from a failed movement. The climate change con artists do not target the most polluting countries (Russia, India and China) they target the United States. In the seventies it was the coming Ice Age, the eighties had Acid Rain and then the hole in the ozone which ib the nineties NASA admitted there was no hole in the ozone, also in the late eighties and early nineties it was the oceans are going to dry up and there was going to be a worlwide water shortage by 2000. None of this happened. Then the 2000's and they changed the name from global warming to climate change because the earth was cooling. All climate change BS is based off models not actual research. This is all to hurt the United States and their allies ( Kyoto treaty and the Paris Accords purposely left out Russia, India, and China. They labeled these countries as developing nations.) They also talk about CO2 emissions which everybody on the planet emmits. I really dont believe that Cow farts are going to destroy the planet.

Dane likes this.
  20. phantom

phantom Account Deleted

I think the point is that we don't do stuff today that would be considered working with the earth. One side wants to do nothing and wonder why they have cancer from air pollution and the other side freaking out that we are making to much carbon and what to force everyone to not breath to solve the human carbon problem. The point above is the the earth has been going between different phases in it history. Our small time on the planet it has been much hotter and way colder that we have today. This does not mean we should not be concerned.. we should be going in to an ice age, but we are not as we have had an effect on the climate. We should be doing smart simple things to can save us time and money and work better with the planet by reusing items better. to be honest we have more bison in the USA before we founded the nation. eating cow and having them fart is not the problem. There was a lot for ""farting" before we as a people came here. People concerned about the change in ocean levels .. well I going to be fine.. but I don't live in a city by the ocean that is at or below sea level. Things change, they always will.. the question of our negative effect on it and how we can reduce it is a different question from trying to force people not eat meat so all the domestic meat supply can be killed off to prevent unneeded farts from animals, or forcing people to pay a carbon tax for not having better options to use