1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Do you believe in climate change?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by Hatham, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

If you really believe all of this is true, I'm not going to try and change your mind. Be safe in your beliefs.

Jumpit likes this.
  2. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

lol that's not an answer. I try to bring arguments, to prove my points, ready to have a debate about it, to challenge my beliefs, and you just say "You can believe that to be true" and "be safe in your beliefs" and that's all ?

3. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Moderator Staff Member

This conversation is getting personal. I suspect that Neophyte, being an experienced poster, is backing off to prevent it from drifting into flaming.

MilaHot likes this.
  4. Charles Fourier

Charles Fourier Proud incest advocate

Integration requires two things. On the one hand, that immigrants want to integrate and on the other hand that society welcomes them, makes room for them, help them to found a place. With the rise of racism and far right parties in many developed countries, it is very often the second condition that poses the problem, not the first.

And historians debunked decades ago the myth of "positive aspects of colonisation".

"
    Tell that to the Iroquois and the Algonquins. You need to learn more about Native American history before you make your claims."

I sure love when those [edit] who know nothing about the subject tell us to study it more haha! And i note the constant recourse to attack ad hominem. You don't have a single argument, you don't really answer those we have either, you are constantly drifting from the subject to create a diversion.

[Name calling is a form of flaming-no need]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2021
    MilaHot likes this.
  5. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

"you are constantly drifting from the subject to create a diversion"

I'm sorry to say that that is standard operating procedure around here on occasion. We just have to learn to live with it.

Charles Fourier and MilaHot like this.
  6. pussycat

Regarding climate and human populations: Climate has always influenced every species, we are no exceptions. Civilizations rise and fall due to vagaries of the weather, and weather is the direct result of climate.
    I think for the first time (probably) humans are influencing the climate, to a degree, instead of the other way around. Ironic that we may be contributing to our own downfall. By how much, I don't believe anyone truly knows the answer.
    I think the writing is on the wall that certain parts of the planet will become for all practical purposes uninhabitable.
    Desertification is already happening, the US west coast is in serious trouble, the middle east will see a mass exodus of people. Crop failures will lead to food shortages even in the wealthiest of countries.
    Migration is inevitable. Either by emigration (and by default immigration) or by invasion.
    Better be prepared folks.

Incs, MilaHot and whitecoffee1 like this.
  7. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Moderator Staff Member

This thread has gone off topic. This thread is for discussing Climate Change.
    Please limit comments to that topic. Off topic posts will be deleted.

8. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

Well said. But, after all, its not climate change or cosmic calamities or alien invasions that will one day destroy humanity.. its humanity itself lol

whitecoffee1 likes this.
  9. pussycat

10. Charles Fourier

Sure love how moderation work here, when a thread is trolled, they create a new post to talk about... the initial subject: best way to do it, i'm admirative haha

11. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

It was created so that members like you who stray off topic can go to a thread that is more in-line with your posts.

12. Charles Fourier

I was sincerely impress, that's a good idea and i wasn't the one trolling here, it was those uneducated americans conservatives as often that divert the conversation.

13. FullyBaked420

FullyBaked420 Trusted Member

Jumping in here. I think everyone is entitled to their own opinions. But we've gotten to a place where opinion is overruling actual science. Which isn't a healthy situation. In regards to what pussycat said. Human's aren't even the only species that has effected the climate in drastic ways. I read that there was a cow-like species like thousands of years ago who's numbers got so large and they produced so much methane that it ended up causing a climate disaster. To be fair though, I am remembering from reading this like 2 years ago and I don't 100 percent remember the exact source so take it with a grain of salt. But it's hard to see the increasing large scale weather disasters and believe that there isn't some kind of climate change. There's so much evidence that points to it being real that ignoring it, imo, is on par with believing the earth is flat.

Charles Fourier likes this.
  14. changoTor

changoTor Trusted Member

I believe this is correct. "Race" is a social construct that people use incorrectly in place of "ethnicity."

"When researchers completed the final analysis of the Human Genome Project in April 2003, they confirmed that the 3 billion base pairs of genetic letters in humans were 99.9 percent identical in every person."

https://www.genome.gov/17516714/2006-release-about-whole-genome-association-studies

whitecoffee1 and Dane like this.
  15. changoTor

changoTor Trusted Member

Sorry, I posted my last message before I was far enough to read this.

16. HBBriestly

HBBriestly Trusted Member

Yes it’s happening it’s absurd this is still a debate

Incs and Charles Fourier like this.
  17. rey2016meza

rey2016meza Moderator Staff Member

Of course I believe there is climate change. 20 years ago Bogotá was 10°C colder than it is now. 10!!!

18. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

True, but the debate is it because of natural cycles or is it because it being man made?

Most everyone agrees there is climate change.
    The debate arises about how much man has contributed to it.

Liberal claim it's all man made, and we all should be taxed to stop it.

Conservatives agree man has contributed, but not to the extent that liberal claim, and taxation isn't the answer.

19. Incs

Incs Account Deleted

Who cares what liberals or conservatives believe about the climate? We should only care what the science shows. The absolutely overwhelming scientific consensus is virtually certain on this question: the human contribution to current CO2 level increases is practically 100%. The current scientific consensus is also that, short of unlikely miracles, the warming induced by these CO2 levels will already inevitably cause us serious problems within the next few decades. No, some simple tax increases won't prevent this anymore, it's way too late for that. We, humans, have royally screwed up.

It boggles the mind that some political corners are still debating decisively settled questions about the causes, nevermind the existence of effects, rather than urgent solutions. Not solutions to prevent a bad outcome, solutions to prevent a global catastrophe. Lets just say that "thoughts and prayers" won't do...

Dane and whitecoffee1 like this.
  20. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

If you did your scientific research you would know that humans account for about 1% of the CO2 released into the atmosphere. Do you believe that the other 99% has no effect on the climate.

Dane likes this.