1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Did You Know ?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by Neophyte, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

2. Neophyte

Brutus58 and Dane like this.
  3. Neophyte

4. Neophyte

5. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

I'm a chef.
    (Made my living as one years ago, until I found out you really can't make great money unless you own the restaurant).

I get into arguments on a regular basis about MSG.

MSG is a GREAT flavor enhancer and allows one to use less salt.
    All the hype from Dr. Oz and his ilk, about "NO MSG" is not based on facts.

There is no reason not to use it unless you have an allergy to it.

Everyone I have talked to who tout the No MSG mantra has yet to give me an answer based with facts.
    The usual answer is, " It's bad for you".
    But the can't state a real reason other than "Studies show" and they can't even state what study.

So I enlighten them.

It was from a Doctor who wrote a 1968 article in the New England Medical Journal because he was experiencing
    headaches and nausea after eating in Chinese restaurants, He determined MSG as the culprit.
    He never once thought that he just had an allergic reaction to it.

So a study was done using lab rats. Like most of the biased studies done then, ( you know, where the study is
    used to prove their point, not to expose the truth), it showed the rats who consumed MSG had brain problems
    and did not grow to full adult size but were way overweight.

Nevermind the fact they fed the rats 25,000 mg of MSG daily.

Salt intake for a standard 175 lb human is 2,300 mg. Msg would be around 500 mg.
    Average lab rat is 1 lb in total weight.

With those numbers, is is the same as a person consuming 4,375,000 mg of salt/msg mix a day.
    That's 9 1/2 lbs people!

If you consume over 9 lbs of any chemical daily, you'll develop problems.

Of course, no human studies were done. But that didn't deter that Dr. from writing his thesis on the dangers of MSG.

A new study was done in 2018 which concluded that there is no reason to cease all intake of MSG.
    Consumption should be limited to the RDA for sodium. (Unless you're allergic to it).

Here is a copy from International Food Information Council Foundation.

"In December 2018, John Fernstrom, Ph.D., professor of psychiatry and pharmacology at the University of Pittsburgh, published a study review on the supposed ill effects of MSG.

His team’s conclusion: “Findings from our data and other human studies provide important evidence that MSG in the food supply presents no hazard to the human brain. Oral ingestion of glutamate does not cross the blood brain barrier."

Americans consume about 500 mg/day (or about 7 mg/kg/day for a 70 kg person). That number is higher in Asian cultures, but is nowhere near the 25,000 mg/kg (3000-5000 mg/kg) megadose of the now notorious mice study."

Chicken Little is alive and as strong as ever in the USA.

Brutus58 likes this.
  6. Neophyte

I was born in Japan, I've used MSG my entire life and I still use it now. People don't realize exactly how many products they eat every day that contains MSG.

I remember a study done to ban Cyclamates. It was found that the dosage used that gave cancer in rats was the equivalent of the average person drinking 100 diet sodas a day for an entire year.

7. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

It won't work, you'll die of kidney failure long before the year is over. :D

Neophyte, Brutus58 and Dane like this.
  8. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

The ban on cyclamates was enacted and pushed to a final decision all controlled by the sugar industries.
    They had no investment money in artificial sweeteners at the time, so they pushed to ban all.
    They even almost succeeded with sodium saccharine too.
    When aspartame came along, they finally relented and saw the profit in using it instead of fighting it.

Too late to take advantage of the cheapness of cyclamates as they had (like MSG now) totally convinced
    the public and the lawmakers that it would kill you.

Brutus58 likes this.
  9. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

Going to have to try it.

10. Neophyte

11. Neophyte

12. Neophyte

13. Neophyte

14. Neophyte

15. Neophyte

16. Neophyte

17. Neophyte

18. Neophyte

19. Neophyte

Dane likes this.
  20. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

Thanks Neo, for posting this.

And fuck the BLM who posted in the media of how the subsequent verses are pro slavery.
    The versus are about freedom, not slavery. BLM and the Democrats love to twist things
    around an totally forget they live in a free society because of men like Key.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2021
    itshot and Neophyte like this.