1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

DeSantis, Disney District, and apparently DeSantis thinking he runs Disney now

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by buffyfan, Mar 1, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

Just read an article where Ron DeSantis seems to think that running the district that provides the services to WALT DISNEY WORLD RESORT in Florida? Gives him any leverage, level of authority, or say in anything Disney produces. He seems to think that control of that special district will let him force Disney into changing some of their PRODUCTION plans and "Make them get the WOKE out of their productions". He took over a fire and sewer district. This would be like the Culiver City thinking they have any authority over all Sony Productions because they provide MGM studios water, power and sewer services. What does he think that he can do if they say no? Turn off the services to the Disney Parks? Everyone note, and anyone that read a balance sheet look too. Disney was ready for Florida to make this move to take the District decades ago. They have land in, I want to say last time I looked, 5-7 other states. They could, if the people I know who worked there years ago are right? In a matter of WEEKS if needed. They would be down for maybe 2 months, 3 tops.

Mind you? NO PRODUCTION is done in FL. Like ZERO. It is all done in CA, New Zealand, Toronto, GA, PR, China for the Asian Live action stuff.

What can Ron even do if Disney told him to go to hell on his demands about what they are putting out on D+.

Dannykinz likes this.
  2. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

Remember this dispute all started when Disney tried to tell DeSantis what to do. I have no sympathy for a bully who starts a fight and find themselves losing.

UpNorthChris likes this.
  3. buffyfan

Disney is HQed in CA, not that "special district" of FL. The Disney HQ is right outside Disney LAND in Burbank, not Disney World in FL. All Ron can do is exert influence over Disney Land in Florida. And, note, they seem to be ready to move the park from FL if needed. They have land in multiple other states already. But my point is not the fight over the district. My point was that Ron DeSantis seems to think that his Special District made him part of the Disney Board in any way now. And it did not in any way. He has no ability to make them do much of anything. And if Disney moved tomorrow? They would take a small hit for the quarter it would take to set up elsewhere. Florida tourism would faceplant. DeSantis does not want to admit that Disney is a NOT AT ALL small part of HIS economy. They are not "losing" in any way. If he gets too upity? They can take this to Federal Courts, whether Ron "writes a law" saying they cant or not.

4. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

Disney fucked up when they thought they were in control of the state.

Rude awakening.

I know families who refuse to take their children there now because of their Woke agenda.

Really, afraid they will say Pluto humping Goofy is supposed to be accepted.

5. buffyfan

You are both missing the point. DeSantis does not think he can now dictate what Disney World can have/do on PROPERTY in FL. That would have basis of logic. He seems to really think that his special district council means that he and his "Special District" can dictate what will happen in movies and Disney Plus shows now because the 5 person panel get a say, now, too, in Disney Corporate Production decisions in Anaheim CA now. That his Special District Board for one of six Disney parks in their overall corporate park "portfolio" are now members of the overall corporate decision making processes because he "says so and his law gives them that power". Disney's papers sit with...... the AG of CA not FL. Ron's power is limited to shutting down the park. That is the extent of his power. But that would be a HUGE loss of tourism revenue for the FL economy.

All the "Boycotts" are, for the most part, BS. At least in the Conservatives I personally know. Perfect example. My friend K. She has a 2 year old. Claims that 2 year has never and will never go to Disney. Never seen Disney. Her. Own. Mother. Called her out on social media. "K. Just stop this BS. M was IN DISNEY as were you THREE WEEKS AGO with us. M watches YOUR D+ sub constantly. Stop trying to play the "Good little Conservative Soldier" on Social Media. Because you dont walk the walk. While on the subject. You TEACH books, I know for a fact as a NYS HS teacher that you claim you would BAN. Why dont you QUIT your cushy NYS UNION TEACHING JOB and walk the walk?".

6. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

With the media clout that Disney have, they could destroy DeSantis politically in a cold minute.
    I hope they do, can't stand the prick, he's if anything even more dangerous than Trump.

Toxicum and Incs like this.
  7. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

It's all about $. Nothing else really.

Per the NYT;

DeSantis, and not Disney, will appoint the five members of the board of a special tax district, which has allowed the company to largely self-govern its 25,000-acre Disney World complex.

“The corporate kingdom finally comes to an end,” Mr. DeSantis said at a ceremony on Feb. 27, the day he signed the bill giving him full control of the board. “There’s a new sheriff in town, and accountability will be the order of the day.”

Disney, however, will maintain its special tax status, which Mr. DeSantis tried to revoke last year and which still affords the company some perks, like the ability to approve development plans without scrutiny from certain local regulators.

8. buffyfan

Again. If you look? I keep saying all that is in his power. I am saying he seems to think this District means he gets a say in the content of movies and TV shows now because he controls their water and sewers. That he can go to the Disney board in CA and tell them what they can and cannot put in their MEDIA PRODUCTIONS. Nothing to do with that park. He thinks his 5 person board gets input on the content of Disney Plus TV shows, Marvel and Star Wars Movies, etc now too. He, openly, said that he was going to use this board to remove the "woke" from Disney productions now. Disney is incorporated in CA and, outside of operations of DW? Have very little obligation to Ron or Florida. I don't know why he would think his new "board" would have the slightest say in Disney Corporate decision making in CA.

And if DW was to pull up stakes and leave FL (they likely will not but could). FL hurts more than Disney. Disney can eat a small loss while they set up shop in one of the other states they own large plots of land. Florida tourism would BLEED without Disney. This is a relationship that benefits Florida at least a little more than it does Disney. Enough people will follow them to GA. Or SC. Or NC. Disney generates 75 billion in economic impact a year. 5.8 billion in sales tax a year too. Half a million jobs.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
    Lian and Toxicum like this.
  9. Neophyte

Separation of Church and State should apply here. Disney should not have tried to force Florida to bend the knee to Disney's will. DeSantis was well within his authority to take action against Disney in Florida. Disney in California was directing Disney in Florida's actions, so Disney in California was also trying to dictate to the Floridian government. The multiple entities of Disney are all interconnected. And Disney took more than a little loss. A small country would go bankrupt with the amount of money Disney lost. In the the tens of billions, maybe a hundred billion by now. Probably well over a hundred billion if you count Disney+. The Disney financial empire is in trouble, it's stock value is plummeting, their movies are tanking, and the only thing keeping them afloat is money coming in from their theme parks and the Florida complex is the biggest. Disney can't afford to lose that.

Dane likes this.
  10. buffyfan

Disney profits rose in Q1 YoY by 8%. So, no, they didnt lose "well over a hundred billion dollars" like whatever youtube commentator you heard that from, or DeSantis, told you they did. They have to put out FINANCIAL STATEMENTS every quarter. If you have proof they are lying? Please share that with the SEC. If not? The claims that they lost "10s or 100 billion dollars" (I assume you mean million as their revenue is only about 100 billion a year or so) are likely backed by "estimates of what I think are coming" or "Someone inside secretly told us, but we cant share their name, that they are lying and........". You cant use "box office" anymore. That is, unfortunately not a great measure. Because why drag ass, find parking, etc when I can rent it and watch it at home? A number that does not go into "box office".

11. buffyfan

Disney would not "lose that". It would just move a few hours north. They own land in GA, NC, SC, etc. They will just MOVE the park. From what a family friend who worked DW 10 years ago told me? The park would take about 2 weeks to take down to the ground. Another 2-3 to put back up at a new site. Week or two to get up and running after that. So down for 6-7 weeks and up elsewhere. Now that they dont have the "district"? There is even less holding them to that site in Florida.

Also, fun fact. When you lose 2.4 million subs? Sounds like the end of the universe to the common person. Until? You hear the WHOLE STORY. They HAD 166.8 million subs. Now they have 164.4 million subs. They lost......... 1.5% of their subs. Lets not act like D+ had 4 million subs and they lost over half. If the revenue from D+ was a dollar? It is now 98.5 cents. D+ bread and butter is not "Kiddie Cartoon shows" anyway. It is Mandalorian, Book of Boba Fett, Marvel, etc.

12. Neophyte

The lost is most likely from the drop in value of the stock price. And Disney has been running in the Red the last few years. But they are being propped up by their theme parks revenue, and if they continue with similar actions in their other parks, they won't have that either. Trying to influence politics in Florida was a bonehead move and cost them money when they had little to spare. The Woke Executives in Disney are being weeded out, but not fast enough. Being Woke and Business doesn't mix well. Being Woke and a Peaceful Civilization doesn't mix either.

13. Neophyte

14. buffyfan

Except in reality they kept almost all their benefits. They still have their fast track permits and such. News vs Talking Heads. DeSantis, in reality, backed down a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.