1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

2nd Amendment

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by buffyfan, Apr 13, 2020.

1. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

Changes like two identical charges with the same mitigations? One is from a rich influential family? The other is from a poor family? And a judge lets the former off RoR because "he is from a GOOD FAMILY" and the latter gets bail. That is the crap that needs to stop. And concepts like people should have to pay thousands in bail for Misdemeanor charges at all. Charge THAT DAY. Go to trial within 48 hours. Keep them in a HOLDING CELL or AREA for non violent offenders for 2 days. Trial. I support, again, efficiency in the system. If you are bringing a shoplifting charge without enough to CONVICT that day? Or the next? You were not ready to arrest them at all.

Dane and Incs like this.
  2. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

There is no need to collect $500,000 in taxes to pay a $200,000 salary.

3. Neophyte

You described two mitigating factors, a rich family and poor family. The economic status plays a role on flight risk. And flight risk is used to determine where bail is set.

Both defendants can go to trial in the same time period. It may not be fair, but a rich family can prepare for the trial faster than a poor one. So if the poor family goes to trial in the same time period as the rich one, they won't get best defense that is possible for them. The saying "Time is Money" can be applied to both.

Dane likes this.
  4. buffyfan

You are correct. The rich kid that gets RoR is usually MORE likely to be able to flee to a place we cant get them back.

5. buffyfan

Or when it VIOLATES standing law. They dont uphold bail on something statute states does not have it because 'that judge grew some BALLS!".

6. Neophyte

7. Neophyte

Dane and Brutus58 like this.
  8. buffyfan

The USSC got the decision right-ish btw. Right-ish because I am iffy if the Founders meant everyone walk around with a small arm in a holster at all times. That said, as written, the 2nd upholds CC. Now, folks. The decision did not, repeat not, once again not, rule that you can carry without a license. Just that the heightened need clause is not valid. The ruling likely means that anyone who qualifies to buy a weapon with BG checks can get a CC too. So, in effect, as I have a great example. My managers, who do large cash deposits? Can keep it if they retire/move on. As they dont "need" the heightened need (Large cash in hand to deposit).

Dane and Brutus58 like this.
  9. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

I think the Founders meant that people should have guns at their home, in case, not that they must walk around with guns and shoot everyone

10. buffyfan

The problem is there is clear evidence otherwise on that. The real matter is this. Did they mean "each man is his own militia" or "an OFFICIAL FORMED MILITIA"

MilaHot likes this.
  11. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

But anyway, no matter what, I think the Founders wouldn't like to see what USA is today, for real

12. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

That is a disgusting to do by the law firm.

13. Daddy's Home

Daddy's Home Trusted.Member

Hmmm...When you say, " true spirit of the 2nd Amendment" do you mean the entire Amendment or just the part after A WELL REGULATED MILITIA?
    Asking for some friends whose children were shit and killed while going to school

14. Daddy's Home

Daddy's Home Trusted.Member

Perhaps you might want to take a look at the reality of what is going on in the US when it comes to gun-related deaths.

The few who successfully use a gun to protect themselves pales in comparison to those who lost their lives [and liberties] due to gun violence.

I encourage you to re-evaluate your stance.

15. Neophyte

Second Amendment.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

This is simple and straight forward. Reading the sentence, I see two parts.
    Part one: A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,

This is just a statement expressing a fact. It does not express a right or give any intent for the amendment.

Part two: the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

This is also straight forward. It does not say Militia, it say the people. No reference or inference to the first part is made in any way. It is just describing the Right in question. the right of the people to keep and bear Arms. And finally the action of the amendment. shall not be infringed.

It makes no reference to Self Defense. No mention of Hunting. Makes no condition under which the Right does not apply. It just says shall not be infringed.

UpNorthChris and Brutus58 like this.
  16. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

The number of deaths in the US from drug (ie: Fentanyl coming over the open southern border) overdoses are far higher and NOTHING is being done to address that. How many are very young. Where is your stance on that. Time to open eyes.

Violence is VIOLENCE no matter what is used!! "Gun control" is the left wing "catchphrase". If a hammer/baseball bat/pipe/knife/hockey stick/rock etc is used it doesn't get the MAIN STREAM MEDIA ATTENTION that a gun does. BECAUSE it doesn't fit the left's narrative or agenda.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  17. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

I think you need to go outside of only listening/watching MSM and read the thousand and thousands of events where
    someone was able to keep themself and their family alive by using a firearm against an attacker or intruder who had the
    intent to kill.

1,670,000 events last year of firearms being used in self defense. (200,000 actual reported events of a firearm used
    by women to stop a rapist in the act of trying to rape them).

That's 4000+ events a day when a gun is used in self-defense. (with 340,000 million of citizens, that is 0.00012%)
    So in that perspective, 4000 a day isn't surprisingly high.

But when you say "gun violence" I assume you are including all events, by the perpetrator and
    the victim. So when you remove how many times a gun is used in self defense compared to a gun
    used by a criminal, you still want to remove the guns from the law abiding person. Thereby giving
    ALL power and possession of guns by the criminal only.

That is the best way to make sure violent crimes rises beyond control.

We have a good # to go by on how many times a criminal was stopped by self defense.
    What we don't know is how many times criminals DIDN'T try something because the
    CRIMINAL didn't know who was carrying and who wasn't.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2022
    Brutus58 likes this.
  18. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

Welp, you want your right to have guns and all.
    What you got is 6 deaths and 31 wounded in a shooting in Illinois.
    There are more and more shootings in USA. More and more. And it won't get better unless you start making laws to limit access to guns.

Incs likes this.
  19. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

More deaths from Fantnyl in one month from open southern border. Oh, I forgot, that's doesn't fit the political narrative.

20. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

If I take fentanyl, I'm the only one injured, I don't hurt others. But with guns, you can kill yourself, or kill others. That is the difference

Incs likes this.