1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

2nd Amendment

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by buffyfan, Apr 13, 2020.

1. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

I will try this again as I did this topic in an online seminar this afternoon.

Are there allowed to be restrictions on ownership?

If no, do you then support felons owning guns? If not, how does that not violate the above question you answered no to?

Does Registration impede your Right to own a firearm?

Chronictraceur likes this.
  2. Smitty

Smitty Trusted.Member

Only Criminals have to worry about giving information. I am a son of the Revolution, my ancestors fought in the revolutionary war. I am a huge 2 amendment supporter. California takes down information when purchasing a firearm, so since I am not a criminal I don’t have anything to worry about.

Scfsecret4 likes this.
  3. itshot

itshot Trusted.Member

Watch out for that Red Flag BS. If anybody is going to have it California will. A bunch of assholes in Sacramento.

jillicious likes this.
  4. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

Where the hell have you been hiding??

And are you OK?

5. Smitty

Smitty Trusted.Member

Thanks too Ronny Regan for putting control in the hands of law enforcement

6. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

Haven't seen any posts from you in quite a while. Glad you're still around.

I think the only restriction to gun ownership should be, if you do something stupid you should be punished. So being a felon would fall into the category of doing something stupid. I understand that there can be extenuating circumstances, so there can be some kind of review process.

Registration doesn't impede your right to own a firearm as long as its free. But registration does facilitate the government to violate peoples 2nd Amendment rights. It wouldn't make much difference, if you trust the government to be fair, but when has a government been fair unless it was forced to be.

D.C. Barnet and Dane like this.
  7. Downnhill

Downnhill Trusted.Member

I'm not against owning firearms in any way, but I do support registration as it does help law enforcement to bring justice to those that really breaks the law.

It is this age old anecdote "Guns do not kill people. People using guns, kills people."

I also think that that everyone has right to protect themself and theirs.

Where I come from, our gun laws are strict, but still justice system recognize when using firearms are acceptable against other people.

Good example happened last year. Old man, over 80 years old. Living alone and who was known enthusiastic hunter and firearms hobbyist was attacked by
    three young men, in order to steal his guns. They were armed knives and crowbars. They got bit of suprise as old man fought back. One of the youngster went to beat up the man as other went for the guns.
    Well, old man managed to disarm and pretty much beat up the one who came for him, and piece up a hand gun he was cleaning, as he has been shooting at local range.
    Opened fire to the youngsters as they ranned away hitting one of them non-lethaly. Boys ofcourse later tried to sue the old man for unnessesary use of force, but court was unanimous that
    old man faced great danger to his health and property that his use of firearms was justified. Old man went free and the boys to jail.

Pistacia, Dane, se'sxac and 2 others like this.
  8. JoshuaMN

JoshuaMN Trusted.Member

I don't agree with any kind of gun registration or regulation for any reason. There should be no restrictions on open or concealed carry. I am a true spirit of the 2nd amendment supporter. As it was put in place by our founders as the last check to balance power in our country. The founders intended that we the people should be equally as armed as the government. So yes they meant automatic weapons and any other arms that would com into play.

As for felons yes i support their right to bear arms. As one cant support one groups rights while also advocating for another,s rights to be restricted. If you support restricting someones rights for any reason than you see our bill of rights as a list of privileges not as rights. The only time someones rights should be take is for the duration of their prison sentence. Upon the end of said sentence they have paid their debt to society and all rights should be restored.

9. Akbloke

Akbloke Ex Pig-Fixer "Videmus Agamis"

The only slight chink in the armor of what you say JoshuaMN, is that back in the day when your 2nd Amendment was being drawn up....they had no clue as to what an Automatic Weapon was. They only had muzzle loading weapons, and they were hardly what you would call an automatic weapon. It wasn't until the Gatling gun came along nearly 100 years later that anything like an automatic was available, and then only to the military.

And when the 2nd was drafted, the idea was to enable the raising of a local militia force for the protection of the community. I do realise that since your war of independence, there was a lot of expansion into the interior of your country, and that personal weapons were needed for self protection, but even so, I still can't see that your founding fathers were able to visualize the availability of the AR15, AK47, GPMG and the like...???

I think that both of these facts have been conveniently overlooked by many to suit their own argument....?

10. whitecoffee1

whitecoffee1 Moderator Staff Member

Don't people only need "weapons" (I put weapons in quotes, because for example a kitchen kife can be also used as a weapon), because the attacker has a "weapon" in the first place too?

In Germany the only knife you are allowed to carry in public are swiss army knives (in general term: knives with hidden blades who needs to operated with both hands to reveil the blade, so things like switchblades are not ok in public)

I personally never heard a german saying that he needs a gun for self defence. The most common thing that people carry around here for self-defense is Pepperspray.

se'sxac likes this.
  11. se'sxac

se'sxac Account Deleted

Akbloke and Whitecoffee, I agree with you. We have strict gun laws here, you may own guns like hunting rifles and shotguns (I do), but most other types are illegal. Also we have laws about storage and transportation, and you need an FAC to buy them or ammunition. There's no such thing as carrying a sidearm around with you, carrying a concealed weapon is a very serious offense.
    But people are fine with that, because that's how our society is. We look south at America and its attitudes with horror and to be honest, a bit of disgust.
    Maybe if I lived in the USA, I might change my view, we all adapt to our environment.

Akbloke likes this.
  12. JoshuaMN

JoshuaMN Trusted.Member

I bet if we were to ask the Jews during WWII they would gladly have carried a gun everywhere they went. A disarmed society is easily controlled.

Dane and jillicious like this.
  13. Downnhill

Downnhill Trusted.Member

Also, I'd like to add that time when US constitution was drafted, most of north america was pretty void of people except natives and east coast. Pioneers and immigrants who pushed themselfs towards west faced such problems that carrying weapon was pretty much only life-insurance you had.

Akbloke likes this.
  14. Downnhill

Downnhill Trusted.Member

Also I think there's something really wrong in society if you need to carry weapon in everyday life.

Jura_sik, Akbloke and whitecoffee1 like this.
  15. Smitty

Smitty Trusted.Member

JoshuaMN you should go live in Utah if you love to live that way. Like I said if you buy a firearm here in California the serial # is reported to the state. It’s been like that since Ronald Regan banned full auto fire arms. In Los Angeles alone there is over 20 million people.if there was no type of gun laws here, there would be hundreds dead daily

16. JoshuaMN

JoshuaMN Trusted.Member

Upon ratification of the us Constitution most of north America had nothing to do with it as the US then was only 13 colones on the east coast. Each new state had to agree to those rights to join the union.

Having the 2nd amendment was to protect us from our own government becoming a tyrannical power like the one we ad just won independence from.

while yes the 2nd amend should make it possible for me to defend myself from someone on the street. that is not it true purpose it is to defend against our government or any other government who should decide to attack us

And Ronald Regan banning full autos was a clear and direct attack on our rights and should never have happend

Dane likes this.
  17. Smitty

Smitty Trusted.Member

We got LA Sherriffs shutting down gun stores. The biggest anti gun ownership group is all law enforcement

Chronictraceur, Akbloke and Dane like this.
  18. whitecoffee1

whitecoffee1 Moderator Staff Member

And why exactly is it important to have "full autos" for you? Faster killing?

... and if used for shootings sports ... why no jtust use "non-autos"? Too little fun?

Akbloke likes this.
  19. Smitty

Smitty Trusted.Member

A group of men marched on the capital to tell the then gov Regan they were tired of the abuse from law enforcement, they had the rifles they were given to them from the us government when they were honorably discharged. So it really was the act, authority crashing down against veterans.

Dane and JoshuaMN like this.
  20. JoshuaMN

JoshuaMN Trusted.Member

yes and they are part of the very government we should have those guns to defend ourselves from

Yes for faster killing when the government turns their full autos on us we can defend ourselves from them.

The second amendment has nothing to do with shooting sports. it is part of the 4th layers of government. The US is wrongly said to be a 3 Level government 1 the executive branch, 2 The legislative branch and 3 the judicial branch. But it is actually supposed to be a 4 level government. The 4th level is "We the people" and the way we keep our power over the other 3 branches is by being "well armed"

Hamhanded and Dane like this.