1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Did You Know ?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by Neophyte, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

2. medianox

medianox Account Deleted

I really love talking about science. When I was locked in isolation a really good guy at this forum did re-ignite this love. I don't know much but I may add a little. The quote goes back to the middle ages. As far as I know it was first used by Bernard of Chatres. John of Salssbury wrote it in his book Metalogicon. There he wrote : “Dicebat Bernardus Carnotensis nos esse quasi nanos gigantum umeris insidentes, ut possimus plura eis et remotiora videre, non utique proprii visus acumine, aut eminentia corporis, sed quia in altum subvehimur et extollimur magnitudine gigantea” (Bernard of Chartres said that we were dwarfs sitting on the shoulders of giants in order to be able to see more and more distant things - of course not because of our own sharp eyesight or body size, but because the size of the giants that uplift us.) :)

Olinto for sure laid the foundation of the theory of relativity. But he also did some misstakes. He used the formula of the kinetic energy to calculate the energy reservoir in matter - and therefore he only got half of the actual relativ energy reservoir in matter. ;)

Btw, Einstein got the Noble Prize not for the invention of the theory of relativity but for his researches on the photoelectric effect. :)

curiousFred, Brutus58 and Insp Gadget like this.
  3. Insp Gadget

Insp Gadget Trusted.Member

Poincaré, Michelson-Morley, and many others were fodder for the fraud Einstein. Never gave credit, but always willingly took it.

I once saw an attempt by the 'genius' to derive what is touted as his own equation E=MC2. It was laughable - that dope wouldn't have passed my Grade 12 algebra class !

curiousFred and medianox like this.
  4. medianox

medianox Account Deleted

I wouldn't judge Einstein that hard even though it's a shame that he never payed any credits. But Olinto De Pretto did so as well as a major part of his work on this topic was inspired by Samuel Tolver Preston paper "Physics of the Ether". I guess quoting your sources was not that common at this time. :)

There's a good book written by Umberto Bartocci who's tracing Einstins sources back. :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2020
    curiousFred, Brutus58 and Insp Gadget like this.
  5. Insp Gadget

Okay, let's say Einstein was a 'philosopher' - yeh, let's go with that - he even looks like the shaggy old guy who sits at the bar mumbling profundities. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Insp Gadget

7. Insp Gadget

[​IMG]

Brutus58, itshot and oldman681 like this.
  8. curiousFred

curiousFred Trusted.Member

Only dogs can hear the dog whistle, the sound is not possible to hear for humans, I forgot why.

Brutus58, itshot and Insp Gadget like this.
  9. Insp Gadget

That's what they want us to think, Fred. It's part of their Master Plan.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    Brutus58 and itshot like this.
  10. Family-Hookup

Family-Hookup Trusted Member

I think is just semantics,regarless,the content in the glass remains the "same", I think.

Brutus58 and Insp Gadget like this.
  11. Insp Gadget

Agreed - the amount is the same in both cases, but 'glass half full' is not the same as 'glass half empty'.

Because the process of arriving at that amount differs in each case. That's how I see it anyway.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    itshot and Brutus58 like this.
  12. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

I think it causes amnesia in humans.

itshot likes this.
  13. Neophyte

Dog whistle operate at about 20,000 hertz and the average human's hearing tops out at 15,000 hertz.

itshot and curiousFred like this.
  14. Neophyte

15. Insp Gadget

[​IMG]

oldman681, Brutus58 and itshot like this.
  16. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

I know how they felt. Always hated the way those gulls would "dive bomb" and leave their "guano" bombs all over the place.

itshot and Insp Gadget like this.
  17. Neophyte

18. Neophyte

19. Insp Gadget

My friend, you are a smart guy like the rest of us, but getting to your point more quickly would be appreciated by this guy. [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. Neophyte

Altering the thought patterns of a group of people takes time.

Brutus58 likes this.