1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Worst Storm You've Been Through

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Exelbirth, Jun 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Exelbirth

Exelbirth Trusted Member

Thought this'd make for an interesting discussion topic.

I've not been through too many terrible storms, been a few tornado scares in my life, but none that actually hit the town. Worst storm I can remember knocked out power to the surrounding communities for three or four days, took down well over a hundred utility poles.

2. DanEgregious

DanEgregious Trusted.Member

I live in a tropical country, so big tropical storms happen every couple years.

Worse one lasted about 2 weeks, power was intermittent in certain parts, some streets were completely flooded, like the one in front of my place, nearby streets are higher that the one in front on me so water would flow into it and since it isn't a mayor one drainage can't handle it all.

The worse one I was in the middle of, was a couple of years ago, on the weekend I would walk from work to my house, it was about 4 miles. As I was half way through it a huge storm breaks in. I could barely see, rain was cold and heavy.

3. Danny Boy 1966

Danny Boy 1966 Trusted.Member

In my 53 years I've had plenty of bad weather, and storms. I've been through an ice storm that knocked power out at my place for over a week, and some places in town didn't have it back for going on 3 weeks. I've been through sever wind storms with 100 + mph straight winds, hail 2 inches in diameter (I have seen baseball size, just missed us), several near misses with tornado's (one just missed us last week). It's hard to pick between the worst two though, The great flood of 1993 which flooded our basement all the way to the ceiling, or the tornado of May 4, 2003 that took 3/4 of my house, either way I lost everything and had to start over.

4. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

The Ice Storm, back when I was in high school. 4 days of solid heavy freezing rain, the power grid went off and then the temp dropped to like 20 below. People died.
    That was scarey.

Danny Boy 1966 likes this.
  5. oldman681

oldman681 Trusted.Member

Knock on wood I so far have been lucky , worst storm I had to weather was as a kid I pissed my Mom off . Did not think I would live to see the next day .

6. whitecoffee1

whitecoffee1 Moderator Staff Member

The worst storm I've ever been through may sound like a light breeze to some of you. It just fell a few smaller trees and removed a few shingles from roofs.

7. TriadSibling

TriadSibling Bro/Sis Enthusiast

Two tornadoes, both within life-threatening distance.

8. whitecoffee1

whitecoffee1 Moderator Staff Member

Even a wether has the weather the weather, whether he likes it or not.

9. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Moderator Staff Member

We don't get much bad weather in Southern California.
    We traded good weather for Earthquakes.

10. Insp Gadget

Insp Gadget Trusted.Member

Nothing really extreme here, high winds sometimes, and a few hail storms I remember.

11. Brotherforsis

Brotherforsis Trusted.Member

Generally I love storms and am fortunate enough to live right on the shore of Lake Michigan so I get some serious storms coming in across the lake and they usually make for some insane light shows. A number of years ago I did couple 18 month security contracting jobs in The Middle East, during my time there I experienced a number of sandstorms that were pretty wicked

MLN1932 likes this.
  12. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

I live in Southern California so our weather is mostly mild. Though back in the late 70's we did have a bit of a problem with rain. A famous picture here was of a golf course where the only thing that was visible was the flag on the 18th hole, the rest of the course was a single water hazard. The San Diego river which is normally shallow enough to cross without getting your knees wet crested at over 40 feet. Sorrento Valley where I worked became Sorrento Lake. Lets just say we had a slightly higher than normal year of precipitation. But ever since they declared that Global Warming was a problem, these types of storms stopped happening, our winters have became warmer and our summers became cooler. Global Warming has been tough on us. :p

Danny Boy 1966 likes this.
  13. Danny Boy 1966

Danny Boy 1966 Trusted.Member

I'd gladly trade you some rain for a small earthquake @Curmudgeon . LOL

14. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

I guess it depends on what you call a storm. Does a forest fire count? I mean its a weather related event.
    No rain for weeks + lightning strike = forest fire.

Thats pretty terrifying and we get them by the hundreds every year. So does California it would seem.

15. Dracoa

Dracoa Trusted.Member

I grew up in Virginia. Never got hit directly by a hurricane, but every year would feel the effects of them. There's also the Nor'easters, and snow storms. One that I remember, but forget when it was, basically nobody was on the roads, not even cops. More recently, a few years ago we had two or three snow storms that each dumped about 3 feet of snow, 3 feet of snow, melted, hit by another 3 feet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.