1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

what's the last movie you've seen

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thattechguy, Jul 22, 2012.

1. muffdiver

muffdiver RIP (1948-2017)

Dawn of the planet of the apes. Great movie.

Muff

2. Princess Amy

Princess Amy Account Deleted

Lucy

Heaven forbid, but could it be possible that the French are now making better action films than the Americans? It appears so, if Lucy is any guide.
    French mass-market maestro Luc Besson – who helped ignite the French "new wave" of stylised, audience-friendly action films in the late 1980s called "Cinema du look" - here delivers a ripping blizzard of high-end, female-friendly action.
    Scarlett Johansson is the titular heroine whose involuntary ingestion of a new drug is opening her brain up to the 95% that usually remains dormant.
    As her powers increase, so too does her control over mind and matter, turning her into a sort of Jedi-on-steroids.
    As the chase by authorities and bad guys to catch her quickens, Besson, who wrote and directed, cooks up some novel action sequences, the best being a car chase through the congested streets of Paris.
    With Morgan Freeman chiming in as a mind expert to help extrapolate on the science-side of things - thus giving us food for thought amidst all the thrills and shoot-outs - there's also a few brash splashes of humour.
    As well as writing, directing and producing the piece, it's to Besson's huge credit the superb job he did editing the film, which was shot by veteran gun French cinematographer Thierry Arbogast (Ridicule; 3 Days to Kill).
    A common complain against so many American action films these days is their frenetic, jagged look, as though they were edited by somebody who has had way too much coffee. In contrast, Besson's editing style is sensibly measured so that you can actually tell what is going on from cut to cut.
    It's a lesson he clearly learnt from watching vintage American action films, so it's a neat irony that his style can now teach Hollywood a thing or two.

Neophyte likes this.
  3. Princess Amy

The Expendables 3

This is a bland, poorly constructed film considering its star power. The Expendables 3 lacks anything remotely good about it, and relies on the same old formula in order to create its thrills. The film didn't grab my attention like the previous two, and to be honest, I thought it was a waste of time. The film really could have been something great, considering some of the action stars attached to the project, but in the long run, it's just a formulaic and uninteresting action film to watch. I felt this was a waste of time, one that doesn't do anything interesting with its stars, as the script is so poorly put together; it's as if, the filmmakers didn't care this time around. The first two were pleasant popcorn action films, far from being great films, but they were watchable time wasters with lots of well constructed action. The Expendables 3 feels tiresome, and it's just a lack of effort and will surely disappoint fans of the first two films. Don't go into this one expecting a fun popcorn film as it's just a tiresome action film with nothing new to offer its fans. Aside from a few new names attached to its cast, The Expendables 3 just doesn't have anything refreshing or interesting to offer up in the genre. If you're looking for something entertaining, you'll be disappointed. As it is, it's the worst of the three films, and with that being said, let's hope it's also the final entry. Stick with the first two, and skip this one, it's not worth your time.

Neophyte likes this.
  4. Princess Amy

Hammer of the Gods

The film suffers from a number of traits common to the DIY filmmaking scene: the digital effects are ropey, the acting tends towards the overemphatic and the soundtrack is dire. But the director, ‘Doctor Who’ veteran Farren Blackburn has a great eye for an ominous landscape, and the script by regular Nicolas Winding Refn collaborator Matthew Read doesn’t mess about, thundering from one muddy, sword-swinging set-piece to the next. It’s hardly high art, but for a cheapjack homegrown action flick this is surprisingly solid.

5. Princess Amy

Emperor

After Japan’s surrender in 1945, General MacArthur, commander of the American occupying forces was left in a tricky position: Washington wanted him to convict the Japanese emperor as a war criminal, yet such a decision could provoke open revolt from the country’s defeated yet still loyal populace. In this respectable historical drama, a dogged Matthew Fox takes centre stage as the American military expert Bonner Fellers assigned to shape the general’s decision. It’s a workhorse role that inspires much voiceover and dialogue explaining the cultural differences between the nations, and the divine status of Japan’s ceremonial head of state.
    It’s all done with care and authentic Japanese locations, and is engrossing for anyone with an interest in the subject. But there’s scant drama as proceedings plod their way towards mutual understanding – and little of the epic spectacle promised by the UK marketing campaign. Given the hindrance of a bland secondary romance angle (fictionalised from Fellers’s backstory), thank heavens for a splendid Tommy Lee Jones, stealing every scene as the wily, grandstanding, yet essentially honourable MacArthur.

6. Princess Amy

Monsters vs Aliens

Absolutely Awesome Movie. I can only recommend it.

Neophyte likes this.
  7. Irish_Incest

Irish_Incest Trusted.Member

Captain America The Winter Soldier

Neophyte likes this.
  8. Princess Amy

Guardians of the Galaxy

Sci-fi hasn't been this fun since Star Wars and it hasn't been this funny since Galaxy Quest.

Neophyte likes this.
  9. Princess Amy

The Paw Project

The story of veterinarian Jennifer Conrad's crusade to outlaw declawing of cats is eye-opening and sometimes charming.

jerrilynn likes this.
  10. porkyporky

porkyporky Account Deleted

Gladiator.

11. Princess Amy

Dwayne Johnson (Hercules)

Hercules spends a great deal of time debating whether the protagonist is a demigod or merely a tough guy with a good publicist. That's like arguing whether its leading man is named Dwayne Johnson or The Rock. Does it really matter? The point is he may be the first actor to be physically overqualified to play the strongman.
    With his colossal physique, Johnson rocks a chariot better than Charlton Heston. OK, the wig he wears to play Hercules, apparently the same one Arnold Schwarzenegger used in Conan the Barbarian, is a little distracting. Then, again, who's looking at his head?
    You never remotely believe Johnson as a personage either historical or mythic. In part, that's because he makes no attempt to modulate his WWE bullhorn of a voice. The peremptory tone almost works in the many pep talks Hercules gives in the course of the film to troops he is about to lead into battle.
    Not that they need much motivation. Once the battle starts, they just stand around and watch Herc and his killer cadre (Rufus Sewell, Aksel Hennie, Ian McShane, and Rebecca Ferguson) mop up the enemy.
    The genre demands at least one distinguished British actor in slumming mode. In this instance, it's John Hurt as a Thracian ruler.
    Hercules unfolds with big-budget visual splendor (making the Imax option a reasonable investment). The battle scenes, though rousing, fall short of epic. But it's reliably fun to watch - up until the brutish, smudgy conclusion that is more Samsonic than Herculean.
    At least with this project, our Hellenic hero will gain a measure of immortality. This film will live forever on cable.

12. joep

joep Trusted.Member

I saw Lucy last week and enjoyed it, but am a little skeptical of some of the premise at the end of her journey.

13. jerrilynn

jerrilynn Trusted Member

Alien. Still as dark and creepy as the 1st time I saw it and still elicits the same feelings of dread and fear. I still jump in my seat at the same point every time even though I know it's coming. 1 of the all time best.

Neophyte likes this.
  14. Princess Amy

dbz battle of the gods English version.

All the characters have their shining moments in this, either be it badass or completely hilarious just in old tradition of Dragon Ball!

I loved this movie and I'd recommend it to anyone tired of the old DBZ formula and are looking for something fresh and new. Toriyama's SSG design was fantastic, and Bills is up there with Broly as one of the more interesting villains!

waited in line for 3 hours. show was sold out in less then 30 min's. they had to bring chairs in to the screen room. they over sold tickets. but goddamn had one good fucking time!!.

15. Princess Amy

i like that one to. it was the best out of them all.

jerrilynn likes this.
  16. Son4mother

Son4mother Trusted.Member

Also the soundtrack is fantastic and great to hear.

17. Princess Amy

very true.

18. Princess Amy

Battle Of The Gods

want to go see it one more time.
    At my theater. It didn't seem like there was a seat left! I was NOT expecting it to be so crowded haha. Very cool seeing so much support for dragonball z still.

Oh and there was a guy who stood up and started screaming the "vegeta what does his scouter say!?" Saying and somebody from across the theater stands up and screams back "it's OVERRRRR 9,000!!!!" And the entire theater started clapping haha. It was so stupid but awesome at the same time.

I don't understand why DBZ has been this absent over the years if it's still THIS popular. It's a gold mine still!

19. Princess Amy

Dragon Ball Z 2015 Movie Battle of Gods 2 Trailer

cant want one more dbz movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!. fuck yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

20. kansas_dude

kansas_dude Trusted Member

Warm Bodies[​IMG]