1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Too many disasters everywhere.

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by curiousFred, Mar 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. curiousFred

curiousFred Trusted.Member

The instant news we enjoy these days, do not bring much joy, often it is the opposite.
    We are sad to hear about the deaths and damage suffered by so many.
    I think of the poor buggers in Tornado Alley who get hit time and time again.
    Maybe people should build homes underground.

2. TriadSibling

TriadSibling Bro/Sis Enthusiast

I've been saying this for years. It just seems like it would've been a normal evolution of housing. Of course, I think the big concern is flooding.

3. curiousFred

Of course flooding can be controlled by modern technology, one hopes.
    Great homes have been built underground.

Danny Boy 1966 and Brutus58 like this.
  4. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

No thanks. I like hobbits but I have no desire to be one.

5. pussycat

I've asked people who live in the flood plains why they don't just move, and the answer I always get is "because it's our home".
    And we call ourselves an intelligent species.

6. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

There's no escaping it. If you believe in prophesy, there is a lot worse coming.

curiousFred and Brutus58 like this.
  7. pussycat

Or you could believe in the tooth fairy.

8. Insp Gadget

Insp Gadget Trusted.Member

Not sure about that - there is a feeling of home that is tangible to me.

9. cuzluster

cuzluster Trusted.Member

yeah I've wondered why the homes aren't built more solidly, more of a bunker type construction or re-enforced or whatever. something capable of standing up to tornadoes and hurricanes and so forth if the people refuse to move and are determined to live there.

10. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

For a long time I wanted to live in an underground house. Less heating and cooling costs. Yes, you do have to think about the water table.

curiousFred likes this.
  11. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

But underground housing is so eco-friendly. Increase insulation reduces energy needs, less impact on the environment, more room for plants and animals and maintains scenic view. I'm surprised that AOC hasn't included this in her GND.

12. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

Cost is the main reason. That and the ongoing maintenance to keep the mold down. plus other waterproofing woes that pop up.
    We have such a home about 3/4 mile from us and they have had it on the market for 3 years. Owner wants out of it as he is just
    retired and in his age, as he put it " I'm tired of spending money to fix one problem after another".

Brutus58 likes this.
  13. Akbloke

Akbloke Ex Pig-Fixer "Videmus Agamis"

Well they don't have too much of a problem down in Coober Pedy in Sth Aust when they build their homes underground. And they have the additional advantage that when they add another room to their homes, they might just find another Opal.......

curiousFred, Brutus58 and Dane like this.
  14. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

I saw that on tv. Perfect conditions for underground building. Here in the NE USA it's nearly impossible to stop the dampness.
    Only sure way I know of is to bury a submarine and live in it!

15. pussycat

If you want to live underground here, first you have to blast a big hole in the rock.

:D

curiousFred, Dane and Brutus58 like this.
  16. PaxxxVitriol

PaxxxVitriol Trusted Member

There are always those missile silos for sale in North Dakota. There’s just so many problems with living underground. I always find underground spaces stuffy unless there’s careful circulation.

Really though, my answer for not moving (in this case, out of California) is that while we’re always in drought, and burn down every year while we wait for The Big One to send a tidal wave to take our state out to sea and drown us in mudslides and floods because our clay isn’t being held together by vegetation anymore... ultimately, the chances that it will happen to me specifically is very low. There are many things I would spend money on first, like a safer car, better food and exercise and medical care, and a more comfortable family and a happier life. Those things are far more likely to extend our lives and quality of life than the off chance that our bunker will actually be needed.

Brutus58 likes this.
  17. curiousFred

I guess a better built home will cost better money and that prevents most ordinary mortals from achieving a better built place.
    In essence, you get what you pay for.

Brutus58 and Akbloke like this.
  18. stepdad22

stepdad22 Graduated from the school of sexual perversions .

I wouldn't mind a missile silo . How much do they want ? Does it come with missiles ? But I also want a Sopwith Camel . Choices and choices .

Brutus58 likes this.
  19. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

Do you smoke a Sopwith Camel cigarette or do you vape it?

20. pussycat

Camel.

The only cigarette with a picture of the factory on the package.

Brutus58 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.