1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Queen Bails Out Brexit

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by Insp Gadget, Aug 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Insp Gadget

Insp Gadget Trusted.Member

Queen Elizabeth has approved Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s request to suspend Parliament from early September to mid-October. This move paves the way for Johnson to follow through on Brexit.

The British people voted to leave the European Union in June of 2016, but their Parliament has sought to thwart the actuality of it for the last three years.

This is a difficult issue to analyze - but in general, personally, I tend to favour nationalistic solutions. On the other hand, Britain may be leaving one quagmire for another.

Any opinions here ?

2. bigjeff

bigjeff Trusted Member

As I am not from Great Britain nor an expert on British politics, I do not have strong opinions on the matter. I would, however, like to point out that the queen, because of her role in government, didn't really have anything to do with this. In effect, this was a move by the Prime Minister.

I do find the maneuver by the PM interesting and would love to read the opinions of anyone on here from Great Britain or who is at least a bit more in the know then myself.

Brutus58, curiousFred and Insp Gadget like this.
  3. Insp Gadget

Insp Gadget Trusted.Member

Thank you for replying, my family is there, the North. They are all for exit, shouldn't have happened in the first place, and dismayed that it had to be done that way. It will be interesting to see how Europe reacts over time, most likely closer ties with Russia they think, and not a bad thing.

4. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

Liberals are the same the world over. The vote didn't go the way they wanted so they will do anything legal or illegal to overturn the vote of the people. Because Liberals considers the voters as ignorant masses and they know better what's good for the people. Liberals think they are superior, they won't say it or admit it, but they think it.

5. bigjeff

bigjeff Trusted Member

Which are you referring to when you say that they think it shouldn't have happened, the EU or the PM's maneuver?

6. bigjeff

bigjeff Trusted Member

7. PeterThePiper

PeterThePiper Trusted.Member

In 2016, i voted in the National Referendum, to Leave the EU, for a number of reasons, but primarily to return sovereignty back to our own National Parliament, and to have the ability to trade around the world. Leave won that referendum by 17 million votes to 16 million votes to stay in the EU, so basically it has divided our country, and that still remains the case today. London voted to Remain in the EU, as did Scotland, and both of these are now refusing to accept the democratic vote taken in 2016, which is what all the arguments are about now.
    Parliament voted to allow the Referendum and then Parliament voted to Trigger Article 50, to set the leaving process in motion , and it is now effectively British Law, that we leave on 31st October 2019. The problem is, that many in Parliament desperately want to stay as members of the EU, and have been trying ALL means possible to stop the Government from proceeding, even though the people voted to leave in 2016.
    So Boris has decided to suspend Parliament temporarily to allow for us to leave the EU, without any further attempts by Parliament to stop it.
    As you will have seen on TV & Media, this has not gone down well, and it has sent the media into a meltdown frenzy, but you have to understand that our two main media sources, SKY & BBC are heavily biased towards Remaining in the EU, so don't believe all you hear & see on tv.
    Yes, there has been protests around the county after Boris did what he did, but lets get this into perspective. It was primarily in London, and was organised by the Labour movement. The media have correctly claimed that " THOUSANDS" have joined in the protests to remain in the EU, but lets not forget, that 17 MILLION people voted democratically in 2016 to LEAVE the EU, so these protests are pretty pathetic.
    So what do i think will happen next. ?
    Well i think Parliament will try desperately to stop it next week, because that is all the time they have left, but i do not think they will be successful. However, if they are, Boris will almost certainly call a General Election, effectively shutting down Parliament, and he will likely set the date for the election AFTER we have left on 31st October.
    There are now 3 Legal Challenges going through the courts, and these will inevitably end up in Britain's Supreme Court, and will they decide to instruct Her Majesty The Queen to reverse her decision. If they do, there will be a Constitutional crisis on the scale of the English Civil War in the 1600's.
    My fear, is that to date, we have seen thousands of REMAIN supporters taking to the streets, but it is only a matter of time, before LEAVE supporters also take to the streets, and then things could get VERY nasty indeed. I hope and pray i am wrong, but i fear what we are seeing in Hong Kong, will soon be coming to Britain.

Brutus58 and hounddawg6 like this.
  8. hounddawg6

hounddawg6 Trusted.Member

The Liberal Democrats should be renamed the Liberals because they certainly are not democratic. They sneaked into government in a coalition with the Tories and then crashed in the following election leaving the Scottish Nationals in third majority. Sow then they thought how best to get voters to like them again and the easiest way is to object to the Brexit vote and say that you would overturn it appealing to potentially 47% of the voters who voted to stay. Very synical politics and I will never vote for them because of this.
    HD

9. PeterThePiper

My sentiments exactly. Plus they are taking MPs from other parties, who haven't even had the common decency to go back to their constituents for re election after changing their politics. This means we now have Limp Dim MPs that have zero mandate to sit in Parliament.

jillicious and hounddawg6 like this.
  10. curiousFred

curiousFred Trusted.Member

I had to laugh at Jeremy Corbin the Communist, he wouldn't know democracy if he tripped over it.
    Just another two faced bastard.

11. PeterThePiper

I agree. He is between a rock and a hard place. He knows the only real chance he has now, is to go for a Vote of No Confidence, but if he loses it he is stuffed, if he wins it, the Government will call a General Election for November, so he is stuffed, and if he does nothing, he is stuffed.

jillicious likes this.
  12. hounddawg6

I agree with everything you say Peter. I was in Trafalgar Square yesterday and I have whitnessed much bigger demonstrations than that.
    The press is bias. Whenever they report things on Brexit they say it COULD be bad for business, the NHS, farmers, fishermen (in fact I saw one report from Scotland with a fisherman and the reporter looked thoroughly disgruntled when the man said it was the best thing that could happen for the UK fishing industry). But the press never reports how bad it could be for the EU. You only need to go to any supermarket and read the labels to see how much we import from them. As a nation we buy more from the EU than they buy from us. Their economies are at risk as much as ours if they make it difficult for us to trade. There are fruit growers in Spain who need to get their fruit onto our shelves in three days and if that is not possible or the tariffs are too high that we refuse to buy it then they will have a lot of rotting fruit on their hands and will go broke. In a no deal scenario a can honestly imagine the French farmers and wine makers keeping the borders open rather than blockading them at every chance they get like they currently do.

I am not scared of a clean break but if the EU and our politicians make it impossible for us to leave and we end up remaining in the EU it means that we will no longer have sovereignty in this country and I will never vote again. At the moment there is a right wing tendency amongst EU members because of the failed Euro and failed immigration policies. Now imagine if we vote for a left wing government and the other EU leaders vote for right wing leaders? In general our parliamentary vote would stand for nothing.

Two final points before I stop this rant. Firstly I have had severe abuse from remainers because of my views and an elderly friend of mine was pushed off a train and broke his foot. The aggression is being fuelled by the Marxist group Momentum who have openly said that they want public disorder on our streets which is disgusting.

Secondly the people who are demonstrating consist of people who want to reverse the vote and stay, people who want to leave only with a deal, people who don’t like Boris and the Tories and people who just want to cause trouble. They do not support one single cause so if there was a demonstration to leave which I very much doubt there will be, it would be on one single issue… to get out. Unfortunately a march like this would become violent because Momentum would try to disrupt it for their own political ends and also the far right would also turn up.

OK rant over.

HD

jillicious and PeterThePiper like this.
  13. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

I have enough trouble just trying to keep track of U.S. politics, let alone British politics. But it does make for entertaining reading. Helps to keep my mind off the troubles here. And, what's this Dontown Abbey thing all about? Some people over here are losing their minds over it.

PeterThePiper and hounddawg6 like this.
  14. hounddawg6

I have no idea what Dontown Abbey is all about. I will do a little research before giving you my opinion lol.

15. PeterThePiper

Downton Abbey, lol. and its a TV Period drama made here, which has won many awards for its authenticity, and recently into a cinema movie.

Brutus58 likes this.
  16. hounddawg6

Authenticity Peter? Did the king ever visit? And I have not even watched an episode lol

PeterThePiper likes this.
  17. PeterThePiper

Sorry, yes, when i said "Authenticity", what i meant was that it has been acclaimed as a remarkable & genuine portrayal of life in a large Edwardian house, in the days of gentry & servants. Obviously the writers will use poetic licence in the actual story lines and of course it is a fictional portrayal and not based upon any actual events.

Brutus58 and hounddawg6 like this.
  18. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

Thank you for clarifying that for me.

PeterThePiper likes this.
  19. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.