1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

"Older Worker" mentalities

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by buffyfan, Jul 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

I need an explanation here. Why do older people seem to think, on the job, age "means something"? Here is the story of someone getting fired from the best bar job they will ever have.

For those who have been here for a while you have heard the tales of the best worker I have ever had, Taylor. Wife hired on a friend's mom to help her out. Immediately the woman assumed that her AGE meant she was in charge. Not just of the people she is on equal footing with. But her managers. She was telling people like Taylor, her actual MANAGER, how to do things "correctly" based on her "life experience". She was fired straight off by my Brother in Law, the overall GM for all the places. I know so many people who have hit this over they years.

So I ask. Why do "elders" think their age (or even time on job) means they tell others what to do?

2. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

I don't think its a older worker thing only. I've run into younger workers, who think they know everything, they may not try to boss everyone around, but they refuse to listen to those above them. They think they know best what to do and you can't tell them anything. I guessing its more of a narcissist thing rather than an age thing.

3. buffyfan

But the issue is that older people do that. They attempt to exert "boss" status on younger workers. As to knowing everything? Well over half the time I have come across that in my life? It was a younger person creating efficiency and the older person attempting to keep it the way they like. Usually because the efficiency involves computer systems. While there are younger people like you say who really cant be told things because "they know......" there is a much larger majority of "elders" who think their "life experience and age" mean they "just know things about things".

Example. I tend to trust an AR accountant who is a year or two out of school on GAAP, over an "elder" who totally graduated 12th grade and has "life experience" or "did it for years". Why you ask? Because I have, in discovery, found SO MANY legal violations because "elder X" did it the same way for 30 years. The RIGHT WAY. The problem? The actual law changed 5 years ago, but the boss and them did not bother to stay up to date. The kid a year or 2 out likely sat for a CPA, or is about to. That means, like me, he is subject to CE requirements now.

4. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

It dates back to our tribal roots. "Elders" were respected, and their advice was sought out, because they had aquired knowledge through experience (it was the only way to aquire knowledge back then).
    These days, there are ways to aquire knowledge far more rapidly and efficiently. Each younger generation is exponentially more knowledgeable than the previous one. This creates a friction, as the older you get, the more challenged you become, and people tend to take it personally. Now knowledge without maturity is a dangerous combination, but maturity without knowledge may be even worse. Our "elders" feel they are being disrespected.
    People so often pine for the "good old days", but if you looked back with a non-nostalgical view on it, the "good old days" were pretty bloody bad, all in all.
    Today was built by the efforts of those of yesterday. Thank you, Grandpa, now shut up and let me do my job, tomorrow needs me.

curiousFred and Akbloke like this.
  5. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

I'm not saying older people don't do what you are claiming, I'm saying that younger people do it too and that age is not the most relevant factor. Some other aspect of their personality looks to be the common thread.

cummunion likes this.
  6. stepdad22

stepdad22 Graduated from the school of sexual perversions .

I think that we have it all the wrong way around , we should be on a pension until forty five , while we are fit and can enjoy it , then go to work .

curiousFred likes this.
  7. Akbloke

Akbloke Ex Pig-Fixer "Videmus Agamis"

I've also had younger guys who didn't have "time up" informing me that because I didn't have the Certificate for doing a course that I didn't know what I was talking about: I only had 15 years actual experience....

curiousFred and Neophyte like this.
  8. Akbloke

In my field of expertise, there is only one way to do things: In Accordance With!!! We have Technical Publications written by the Manufacturer, as well as other publications - WHICH ARE KEPT UP TO DATE AND AMENDED FREQUENTLY - which MUST be adhered to. Peoples lives depend on this. So what you say BuffyFan, depends on what professional field you're talking about, and does not cover all professions.

My profession is in Aeronautical Maintenance. I have come across some who think that the way that they were doing things is the very best, and "They don't do things that way" where he now works. Well, he was taught the way they do things in the USAF, and believe me, it is far from being the very best. The way that he is going, he will cause his company to loose he contract with the country where we both work, and being as narcissistic as he is, he will wonder why. I have worked in a few countries now, and can see that the European Aviation Standard is far, far better than his one. It's all about either being Serviceable or Airworthy.

curiousFred, stepdad22 and pussycat like this.
  9. buffyfan

I am more referring to places like Retail, Offices, etc. Where old workers demand everyone work less efficiently because back in the day it was done by hand. The equivalent (possibly) in your field would have happened like this "Well in MY day we did not use the new fangled electronic gadgets! We measured by HAND and used pencil and paper. The RIGHT WAY.".

I have defended clients in the past who fired an older person because the older person "knew best" when speaking to their supervisor. The last one, I kid you not, was someone who quit and sued when she was passed over for a promotion (manager to a VP position). Because? She insisted everything in her department be done with pen and paper, by hand, and filed in a physical file. She did not accept things being done electronically in her department. Her way was the right way, in her mind. Note though, there were 3 layers over her who were all attempting to go paperless. So they promoted a "kid" (33) who was a tech whiz instead. Her head almost exploded that her "20 years on the job" didnt trump his ability to make things electronic and paperless. Someone she tried to get fired 2 years before, not even her direct employee, because he played his guitar every so often in his office was now her boss.

Akbloke likes this.
  10. Akbloke

Ironically enough, my colleague and I want to get the electronic method of recording our Aircraft Maintenance introduced as soon as possible. It will reduce our workload enormously and help to ensure that the technical work IS done correctly and aircraft bot released for flying UNLESS all the work was been performed in the correct manner. And we will have a full history of what has been done, and by whom, at all times.

And we are both what you would consider 'older workers'. We can fully see the advantages that computerization will bring.

Cheers

curiousFred likes this.
  11. curiousFred

curiousFred Trusted.Member

I know the work required for aircraft maintenance, having been a technical data clerk with an airline for over 22 years.
    Here in Oz it was very strict.

Akbloke likes this.
  12. Akbloke

And the European Aviation is also very strict - far stricter than the USAF can ever be. And the FAA does not have enough personnel to enforce a lot of its Rules & Regs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.