1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Looks like the United Stated is not the only ones tiered of illegal imigrants

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by longing4sis, Mar 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. longing4sis

longing4sis Trusted Member

Exclusive: Almost half of Canadians want illegal border crossers deported - Reuters poll
    By Rod Nickel and David Ljunggren

WINNIPEG, Manitoba/OTTAWA (Reuters) - Nearly half of Canadians want to deport people who are illegally crossing into Canada from the United States, and a similar number disapprove of how Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is handling the influx, according to a Reuters/Ipsos opinion poll released on Monday.
    A significant minority, four out of 10 respondents, said the border crossers could make Canada "less safe," underlining the potential political risk for Trudeau's Liberal government.
    The increasing flow of hundreds of asylum-seekers of African and Middle Eastern origin from the United States in recent months is becoming a contentious issue in Canada.
    Although there has been broad bipartisan support for high levels of legal immigration for decades in Canada, Trudeau is under pressure over the flow of the illegal migrants.
    He is questioned about it almost every time he appears in parliament, from opponents on the left, who want more asylum-seekers to be allowed in, and critics on the right, who say the migrants pose a potential security risk.
    Canadian opposition parties seized on the poll results, with both those on the left and the right saying they underscored their positions.
    Canadians appeared to be just as concerned about illegal immigration as American, according to the poll, which was conducted between March 8-9. Some 48 percent supported "increasing the deportation of people living in Canada illegally." (For graphics on asylum process, immigration poll see http://tmsnrt.rs/2nyY8CJ)
    When asked specifically about the recent border crossings, the same number - 48 percent - said Canada should "send these migrants back to the U.S." Another 36 percent said Canada should "accept these migrants".
    In the United States, where President Donald Trump was elected partly on his promise to boost deportations, 50 percent of adults supported "increasing the deportation of illegal immigrants," according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll conducted in the same week.
    Illegal migrants interviewed by Reuters in Canada said they had been living legally in the United States and had applied for asylum there. But they fled for fear of being enmeshed in Trump's immigration crackdown.
    Kevin O'Leary and Kellie Leitch, top contenders to be leader of the official opposition right-leaning Conservative Party, both said the poll showed they were right to demand Ottawa deter border crossers.
    Like Trump, O'Leary is a brash businessman and television personality with little experience of politics.
    The left-leaning opposition New Democrats said given the poll showed Canadians wanted asylum seekers to cross the border legally, Ottawa should suspend an agreement with the United States whereby Canada turns back refugees from the United States if they try to make claims at border crossings.
    WARMING WEATHER POSES RISK
    Support for deportations was strongest among men, adults lacking a college degree, people who are older and those with higher levels of income.
    "There are so many people in the world who want to come in and go through the right channels," said Greg Janzen, elected leader of a Manitoba border municipality that has seen many crossers. "That's what's pissing most people off. These guys are jumping the border," he said.
    Forty-six percent feel the influx would have no effect on safety, while 41 percent said it would make Canada less safe, according to the poll.
    "Refugees are much more welcomed when we have gone and selected them ourselves as a country, as opposed to refugees who have chosen us," said Janet Dench, executive director of Canadian Council for Refugees.
    Of those polled, 46 percent disagreed with how Trudeau was handling the situation, 37 percent agreed, while 17 percent did not know. In January, a separate Ipsos poll found 59 percent of Canadians approved of Trudeau, while 41 percent disapproved.
    Trudeau faces no immediate threat, since the next elections are not until 2019. His office declined to comment on the poll.
    Brian Lee Crowley, head of the Macdonald-Laurier Institute public policy think-tank, said the number of illegal migrants could spike as the weather warms, and "if people become convinced there's a large uncontrolled flow of illegal immigrants, I think that will be a very serious political issue for the government."
    Authorities dismiss the idea they are being lax.
    Dan Brien, spokesman for Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale, said trying to slip across the border "is not a 'free' ticket to Canada," and noted all the asylum-seekers are immediately arrested.
    "If they are found to be inadmissible without a valid claim, deportation procedures are begun," he said when pressed on the poll. Those who cannot be identified, are a flight risk or pose a public danger can be detained, he added.
    According to a separate Ipsos poll, 23 percent of Canadians listed immigration control as among the top national issues in March, up from 17 percent in December. It ranks behind healthcare, taxes, unemployment and poverty as top concerns.
    Ottawa set an immigration target of 300,000 for 2017, or just under 1 percent of the population, the same level as 2016. It reduced the 2017 target for resettled refugees to 25,000 from 44,800 in 2016, when it welcomed 25,000 Syrian refugees.
    The Reuters/Ipsos poll was conducted online in English and French throughout Canada. It included responses from 1,001 people 18 years or older. Individual responses were weighted according to the latest population estimates, so that the results reflect the entire population.
    The poll has a credibility interval, a measure of accuracy, of 4 percentage points.

For any one that would like to see the video that was with this story you an go here:
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/exclusiv...s-want-illegal-border-crossers-101048596.html

Ausstde likes this.
  2. Dad's toy

Dad's toy Trusted.Member

But it can't be true
    The US press is telling us all how welcome and good the flood of illegals is good for Canada.
    Canada loves them and wants more.

Can the American press be wrong?

toy

the_rev and Ausstde like this.
  3. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

I have, in a broader sense, been commenting on that border for years. As a planner, I would not slip people over the heavier border of Mexico. I would send them over the Canada one.

4. longing4sis

longing4sis Trusted Member

They are a lot of the time but if you check out the video the gentleman speaking is the Prime Minister of Canada, so it is coming straight from their government and not our press.

5. Akbloke

Akbloke Ex Pig-Fixer "Videmus Agamis"

It's soooooo much easier to keep control of your borders when you've got a lovely huge MOAT all around your country....and can herd the illegal boat people back into the country that they are leaving (Indonesia).

Of course I'm talking about that beautiful wide land, with sweeping plains, and flooding rains, with her jewel sea...

AUSTRALIA........

villager and longing4sis like this.
  6. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

When polled about the proposed wall between the USA and Canada, 96% of Canadians responded with "we'll supply the concrete".

:D

longing4sis likes this.
  7. Insp Gadget

Insp Gadget Trusted.Member

Hell yeah - if I were a Mexican, it would be so much easier to cross the Canadian border than the American one !

:rolleyes:

8. Insp Gadget

Insp Gadget Trusted.Member

Good grief, the next thing you know, they'll be dropping refugees on us out of airplanes !

:D

pussycat likes this.
  9. pussycat

United Airlines new corporate policy - they wont throw you off the plane until its airborne.

longing4sis likes this.
  10. buffyfan

No. I am referring to getting terrorists in, not Mexicans.

11. Carnius

Carnius Trusted Member

It would be nice if America somehow managed to clean up it's illegal immigrant problem. I sincerely hope that the current administration does more to protect natural born American's than the previous administrations 8 years of nothing more than hand holding illegal immigrants and showing leniency.

12. hopeispower

hopeispower New Member

curb illegal immigration but do it with the full realisation of the various macro and microfactors that leads to it happening in the first place. rich countries are trying to have their cake and eat it too imo.

Sarcas likes this.
  13. VCarter216

VCarter216 Trusted Member

Economic migrants looking for opportunity, but they end up being a financial burden because they're mostly all unskilled, and illiterate.

Then you have the ones that dgaf, and just want a free ride as long as it will last because they know it's being handed out.

Trudeau is going to need the votes ..

14. dextor

dextor Trusted Member

i'm not the smartest guy, but surly its simple:
    1.speak the language
    2.have a place to live
    3.have a job ready
    4.enough money to support yourself ,should anything happen
    and a personal one of mine
    5.no entry if you have a criminal record

15. Akbloke

Akbloke Ex Pig-Fixer "Videmus Agamis"

Sounds a lot like the sort of qualifications you need to get into the land Down-under: Australia.

You need to have the equivalent of 200 points to get in. Even Kiwis with a criminal record don't get automatic entry if they don't declare their FULL history.

Aussie is a bit luckier than the US of A in that we don't need to build a fence - we've got a reasonable sized MOAT!!!

Cheers

16. jensen

jensen Trusted Member

Much of the spiked illegal immigration comes from haitians residing in america whos visas are expiring( they were given visas because of a devasting earthquake). I doubt the trump administration will advocate for renewing them and so do the haitians it looks like.

17. pussycat

Kind of ironic, don't you think. When Australia was starting up, a criminal record was a requirement for entry.

:D:D

18. pussycat

Did the Germans, Italians, Dutch, Poles, Icelanders, Finns, Swedes, Hungarians, Ukranians speak "the language"?
    Did the MicMaq, Iroquois, Ojibwa, Cree, Dene, Haida speak "the language"?
    What language? Do you mean English or French?
    Should we have not let any of the above in (or kicked them out)? We wouldn't have much of a country, would we?
    Hell, I'm a tenth generation (at least) Canadian and I dont speak "the language" when I'm in Quebec.

It's not a valid arguement, and surely you don't need to be surly about it.

19. buffyfan

2 and 3 are a seperate work visa already.

1 I want to make a small modification. OR. speak it broken AND make an effort to learn. I am from NY. I learned decent Spanish because it helped as an ADA back in the day. Because there are those who never learn.

20. pussycat

As only 1.3% of the population speak Spanish, your language skills won't be of much use to us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.