1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Keepin' it in the family

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by longing4sis, Apr 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. incestfan67

incestfan67 Trusted.Member

Jerry Lee Lewis married his cousin at young age,still somewhat common in the American south in the 1950's.This all but ruined Jerry Lee Lewis's career.He lost record deals and performed for less money. Elvis Presley had just left for the army and Jerry Lee Lewis was set to take Elvis's place. This story was covered in the film Great Balls of Fire.

2. winchester73

winchester73 Trusted.Member

I think there is a great deal of mischief around sex and mating in modern times because media-driven cultures, at worst, treat these subjecst with interchangeable value and, at best, simply do not make any distinction at all. Many tribal cultures from around the world were studied in the 1950s and almost every one I read of that had permissive sexuality in the very young also had rigid mating ethics in their respective rites of passage into adulthood. Permissiveness was usually still permitted at all ages but the mating repsonsibilities never faltered without great taboo. We, on the other hand, equate sex and mating as one entity and this has its own dramatic problems; throw the concept of incset into this cesspool and you have a melodrama of hopeless proportions. ie: it appears that incest taboos directed at cousins and uncles and aunts, et al, are simple bigotries similar to calling fellatio and cunnilingus, "Sodomy". Keep in mind that the new DNA revelations are confirming that none of us have a clue to who we really are,.

3. Shimmin

Shimmin Trusted Member

You learn something new everyday.

4. Kim32kool

Kim32kool Trusted Member

I never knew about these relationships. Little surprised but I guess worked for them and enjoyed good life as two mature partners.

5. jmson

jmson Trusted Member

Wow! Interesting.

6. TokyRose

TokyRose Trusted Member

Incest laws don't bother me overmuch, but I do think non-blood relatives shoukl be exempt. Adoption is a non-blood relationship.

7. Antares

Antares The Famous LTD Doggie

Well time to throw in the Dog's two cents worth.

At present all state laws concerning sex and marriage have been overturned by Federal Legislation which states that you must be over 18 yrs of age when it comes to sex. These laws even apply to foreigners. As an example a married couple was denied entry at New York because his wife was under 18.

The application of the law was against an American citizen who married a French girl (under 18 but legal in France) and was returning back to the US to live. He was arrested and convicted and did prison time, she was deported back to France. The US then applied to have the marriage annulled illegal under US law.

To make matters worse they apply the Age of Consent law over 18 to all US Citizens and Legal Residents when having sex anywhere in the world which takes in all of Europe to say the least. You may say that these laws are unenforceable outside of US territory but prosecutions are taking place and convictions being obtained.

Only in Muslim countries where sex is restricted to married couples only are the laws more strict than in the US. The US is pushing for such an international law at the UN but has failed to gain the needed support as most countries within the past 10 yrs or so have lowered the Age of Consent and Marriage laws a move that has outraged the US who still insists on an 18+ standard and enforces it upon its own citizens anywhere in the world

To answer Pussycat's question about the Motel Room situation, technically under the Federal Law known as the Mann Act they could be prosecuted.

The basic moral foundation for all of this goes back in history to the Puritans of Massachusetts whose religious laws were so strict as to make Oliver Cromwell, from who they fled, look wildly liberal which he most certainly was not.

The current sets of Federal Laws that apply here are:

The Mann Act of 1910 & 1925
    The Child Protect Act of 2003
    The Walsh Act of 2006

Sterling447 and Dad's toy like this.
  8. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

It seems that the US is attempting to apply its laws to everyone else more and more these days. Then they get upset when the rest of us tell them to get stuffed. Talk about delusions of grandeur, lol.

:rolleyes:

Insp Gadget and Akbloke like this.
  9. Antares

They were definitely pissed on this one.​
    Didn't you know that puberty begins at 18?​
    according to Federal Laws at any rate.​
    You should see the map for Age of Consent in Europe. They about had a stroke over that one.​

pussycat likes this.
  10. TokyRose

TokyRose Trusted Member

I'm of the belief that any marriage performed legally anywhere in the world should be recognised and accepted anywhere in the world.
    But its not so.
    I've read that a long time agoan American airman, posted to the UK, took his legal, 12 year old wife with him.
    There was a bit of an uproar and the two of them were packed off back to the States.

Intolerancc!!!

TR

11. Antares

No I never heard of this case. Do you have a data or Internet file on this.

12. TokyRose

TokyRose Trusted Member

No I don't. But its probably archived in the Sun archives, and probably other national papers.

TR

13. Antares

In order to pin that down I would need approximate dates.

14. Dracoa

Dracoa Trusted.Member

I knew about Edgar Allan Poe and Virginia Clemm. Virginia was also ill, if I remember correctly.

Insp Gadget likes this.
  15. gator2211

gator2211 New Member

it is all about genetics.... cousins having children is unsafe.
    Look at the royal families in Europe. Hemophilia was a big problem.

Antares likes this.
  16. ragnarloth

ragnarloth Account Deleted

Interesting stuff

17. Antares

Well that's generation after generation too so the bad DNA will come forward

18. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

Antares. Not entirely. Without doing some legal research in the office, those laws if memory serves, only apply for "Crossing state lines" purposes. None of them set an AoC at 18 for all states.

But in the end, people have to choose. Is marriage and sex a state or Federal Issue.

19. curiousFred

curiousFred Trusted.Member

What is all the fuss about ? There is nothing wrong with it, other than religious nuts sticking their long noses in.

Insp Gadget and Sifjaspell like this.
  20. Antares

I invite you to look at the following Federal Legislation....Child Protect Act of 2003 and the Walsh Act of 2006. Both of these Federal Laws state AOC for US citizens and residents at 18 for conduct anywhere in the world.

TriadSibling likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.