1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Keepin' it in the family

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by longing4sis, Apr 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. longing4sis

longing4sis Trusted Member

Keepin’ It In The Family — 15 Famous People Who Shamefully Married Their Cousins

There was a time when marrying a cousin wasn’t quite the taboo it is today. In North America, cousins aren’t legally allowed to marry one another. The same rule doesn’t exist in other parts of the world though.
    You might be shocked to see which famous names married their own family member. They might not all be first cousins, but the relationships will certainly make you queasy. Most of the time we don’t know the reason, but these stars did indeed marry a family member.
    b.jpg
    Charles and Emma were first cousins, but got married anyway. They also had 10 children together.
    c.jpg
    Intermarriage in the Royal family isn’t as uncommon as you might think. In fact, Queen Elizabeth’s husband Prince Phillip is actually her second cousin once removed.
    d.jpg
    Being the grandfather of JFK isn’t the only thing Fitzgerald is known for. Reports prove that he also married his second cousin, which apparently was the thing to do at the time.
    e.jpg
    In 1901, FDR and Eleanor met on a train to Tivoli, New York. FDR was Eleanor’s father’s fifth cousin. They eventually began a secret romance and were married four years later.
    f.jpg
    These two have one of the longest lasting marriages in Hollywood. You might not realize that they are actually 9th cousins, which they found out on a television program.
    h.jpg
    Times were different back then, but Poe and Clemm were first cousins when they got married. To make things even worse, Clemm was only XX when they said their vows.

Hussein’s (the former president of Iraq) marriage was arranged when he was only XXXXX years old. He was set to marry his first cousin. Their marriage lasted until his death.
    j.jpg
    The third president of the United States has many accomplishments, but some question his marriage. His wife was his second cousin and they had 6 children together.
    k.jpg
    Wells was a pretty famous writer in his time. What his loyal readers might not know is that he married his cousin, a relationship that only lasted 3 years.
    l.jpg
    Stravinsky was a very famous Russian composer. When he chose to marry his first cousin, the church looked down on the decision. They did get married and later had 4 children together.

Sorry, but no mention of any ages below 18 in this section. Neo

curiousFred and Insp Gadget like this.
  2. longing4sis

m.jpg
    This former New York mayor was married to his wife for 14 years before discovering they were actually second cousins. He later filed for an annulment.
    n.jpg
    He might have been a genius, but perhaps didn’t make the best choice in a wife. Elsa was Albert’s second cousin on one side and first cousin on the other side. Talk about keeping it in the family!
    o.jpg
    These two were first cousins and very much in love. They were married for many years and had two children together.
    p.jpg
    Bach married his second cousin early in his musical career. The marriage lasted until his wife died 13 years later. The two had 7 children together in that short amount of time.
    q.jpg
    Myra was Jerry’s first cousin once removed. Despite his hugely popular music, his marriage tarnished his reputation a bit. On top of that she was only XX when they got married.

Sorry, but no mention of any ages below 18 in this section. Neo

curiousFred and Insp Gadget like this.
  3. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

Some of these reach a little. Like 9th cousins. That means the connection is the great x7 grandparent or close to 150 years of back relations. I guarantee if I traced my wife and genetic family (I am adopted) we are probably related if we go back that far. We looked kind of alike as kids. And no. We had the genes done and we are not sibs.

4. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

The only country in the world that I can think of that has restrictions on marrying your cousin is the USA. It's perfectly legal in Canada (which is in North America last time I checked). Hell, you can marry your Uncle up here if you want to, lol.
    Check this out:

https://www.cousincouples.com/?page=facts

Insp Gadget and longing4sis like this.
  5. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

Here in the U.S. being allowed to marry your cousin varies from state to state. Some allow it some don't.

longing4sis likes this.
  6. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

I thought that might be the case. Just wondering, but if you are legally married to your cousin in one state, and you cross the state line to another where it is not legal, are you still married? Do you get arrested for sleeping in the same hotel room?
    From a non-American's viewpoint, it does seem a bit silly, not to mention confusing, lol.

o_O

Akbloke and longing4sis like this.
  7. Neophyte

Marriages performed in any state is recognized by all states.

8. allison17

allison17 Trusted.Member

I do not like the pic of the man holding the gun up to the girls head at all but they are both smiling unless he is forcing her too. Personally I think it should be removed. :eek:o_O

Akbloke likes this.
  9. buffyfan

On that. Wouldn't that mean that while they dont have to perform the , or issue the Marriage in their state, states are all (Even if it is 49-1 against which it is not at this point) required to recognize Same Sex Marriage from another state as valid?

allison17 likes this.
  10. Neophyte

I think this came about because marriages performed in Las Vegas wasn't recognized in California, someone took them to court and it was decided that any marriage from another state must be considered valid, even if it was illegal in that state.

Akbloke and allison17 like this.
  11. buffyfan

I believe that was based on the "Full Faith Clause". Effectively, a contract is a contract. Not just in the state that executed it.

annab2, Dad's toy and Neophyte like this.
  12. allison17

allison17 Trusted.Member

Hey Long4sis,can I please delete pic #7? It really bothers me in more ways than one but I am not allowed to say why or I would be called a raicest. oops I let that slip out on purpose. I of course not one but that pic just makes me sick. YUCK!!!!!

Nothing bad on your part it just bothers the hell out of me.

annab2 likes this.
  13. TriadSibling

TriadSibling Bro/Sis Enthusiast

I was about to mention that lol. A lot of states allow marriage between second cousins, even though people tend to get grossed out from it.

Pussy and Neophyte like this.
  14. itshot

itshot Trusted.Member

I'm with Allison. Please delete pic.

annab2 likes this.
  15. longing4sis

Thanks I missed those. Sorry about that, I will try and be more observant.

annab2 and Neophyte like this.
  16. longing4sis

It's done...

annab2 likes this.
  17. winchester73

winchester73 Trusted.Member

The infamous friend fo Wyat Earp, Doc Holiday of Georgia,was reported to have assumed his cynicism because he had fallen in love with his first cousin and it was forbidden. It was evidently a mutual attraction and the caustic taboo caused enough distress for iim to completely turn against his profession and his family name. Another historical figure is General George S. Patton who moved his first cousin to England as his overt paramour during his WW II tour of duty in England. This was at great concern of his wife, back in the states at the time.

Thus we have documentation of two men with two different approaches to the same taboo; one because of it and the other in spite of it. I think the over-riding anchor in these discussions revolves around the issue of legal EFFECT. ie: in the middle 17th century America fornicating with farm animals carried the death penalty and there are documented cases of executions. The "taboo" of today is almost completely relegated to the issue of social censure instead of real punishment.

Interesting thread. Thank you-

annab2, longing4sis and pussycat like this.
  18. pegipiveb

pegipiveb Trusted Member

This is really weird, why should it be forbidden to marry your own cousin? Nearly all country allows it and nearly all religions. Considering genetics, there's a very little chance that the child will receive some abnormality, according to wikipedia (but then again, the probability is very little considering couples with no family relationship).

annab2 likes this.
  19. manTkor87

manTkor87 New Member

Individual matings between cousins probably aren't too bad genetically. I think it's probably when it becomes more prevalent in a family that negative traits will become more common.

annab2 and pegipiveb like this.
  20. buffyfan

Again. If I remember the data I read, it would involve multiple generations with the same father to become common at all.

Insp Gadget and annab2 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.