1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Iceland Qualifies for World Cup

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by Insp Gadget, Oct 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Insp Gadget

Insp Gadget Trusted.Member

Over the weekend, Iceland became the smallest (pop~330,000) nation ever to qualify for the World Cup of Soccer.

Iceland World Cup.jpg

In a match played in Reykjavik, Iceland sealed its place in Russia with a 2-0 victory against Kosovo.

Trivia question - prior to this weekend, which was the smallest nation to have qualified ?

villager likes this.
  2. slisse

slisse Moderator Staff Member

So far the following countries are already qualified:

Belgium :D - Brazil - Costa Rica - Egypt - England - Germany - Iceland - Iran - Japan - Mexico - Nigeria - Poland - Russia - Saudi Arabia - Serbia - Spain - South Korea

still another 15 to go.

3. slisse

Trivia : see PM

4. cult45

cult45 Trusted Member

Trinidad and Tobago?

Insp Gadget likes this.
  5. slisse

Added yesterday are Argentina - Colombia - France - Panama - Portugal - Uruguay

6. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

and the USA has been eliminated.

Insp Gadget likes this.
  7. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

Not surprising, they qualified for Euros before and its a lot tougher competition

Insp Gadget likes this.
  8. slisse

I guess that Akbloke will watch the qualifying match Peru - New Zealand.

9. Akbloke

Akbloke Ex Pig-Fixer "Videmus Agamis"

I would if I could.....

Did I see that The Netherland is out?

I'll tell you what: this year there is some very serious money being bandied about with the acquisition of players for the various teams....I wouldn't mind just a small portion of what they are offering.

10. slisse

Yes. They won 2-0 against Sweden but they had to win 7-0 to become second in their group and have thus an ultimate chance to go through.
    Screenshot-2017-10-11 WK-voorronde.jpg

11. Akbloke

I wasn't surprised to see that Argentina was able to suddenly get a hat-trick and find themselves in the list going....

12. Insp Gadget

It's probably just as well. The players for their own 'football' teams won't even honour their own flag.

The NHL's players are not permitted to play in the Olympics, no matter which country they come from.

And the World Cup is being held in Russia - a nation for whom the USA has nothing but economic sanctions and trash talk. Despite the fact that Russia transports the USA's astronauts to the international space station.

On a World stage, disrespect like that would only be a detriment to any sport. The USA is not ready for that level of competition yet.

13. cult45

cult45 Trusted Member

Losing those two first games screwed them big time

Insp Gadget likes this.
  14. FourKings

FourKings New Member

Well I have to say, the US team didn't actually light it up in the last WC, Germany shut them down like they had never played soccer before, so no great loss, and they didn't actually play inspired this time anyway, so they would likely have gotten smoked!

Insp Gadget likes this.
  15. Insp Gadget

I want to say in hindsight, that my comments were abrupt and rude. And it is hard to ignore the fact that my team is not under discussion. :)

And it is a shame that that really good USA player, Pulisic, won't be playing. He is young though, so hopefully next time.

The hockey issue - that one is on us. If we can crow about hockey being our national sport, then how come we don't have our own league ? Can you imagine a Finnish team playing in a Swedish league ? The Finnish fans wouldn't stand for it. :)

And frankly, this whole infatuation which pro sports has with politics nowadays is becoming tiresome, in my opinion.

Neophyte and Dad's toy like this.
  16. Insp Gadget

Yes, and there was also that free goal that Panama got in their game, without which the USA team would have advanced.

I should not have spoken so abruptly - there's already too much damn politics in sports - sorry.

17. Ftal

Ftal Trusted Member

Great to see the Iceland support in the stadium.

pussycat and Insp Gadget like this.
  18. Akbloke

I've got to agree with yo on this Insp. And what with the rather LARGE sums of money that are being bandied about with the purchasing of players in the English and European Leagues.....Seems like a recipe for corruption to me??

Oh, wait...With FIFA in control, that isn't possible!! Never going to happen!!! How could I possibly think that???

Insp Gadget likes this.
  19. Insp Gadget

AK, I like Formula 1. But there's always something about it that seems suspiciously secretive.Sinister almost.
    And at least over here anyway, they are masters of maintaining their image. So if you have any stories, they'd be good to hear.

20. Insp Gadget

I do have one F1 story.

Mercedes has told Hamilton and Bottas that they're both out of jobs if they ever collide with each other in a race again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.