1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Freedom of speech

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by JoshuaMN, Apr 20, 2020.

Tags:
?

How far do you believe freedom of speech should go?

1. No limits

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. some limits

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  3. undecided

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoshuaMN

JoshuaMN Trusted.Member

How far do you believe freedom of speech should go? Other than things like shouting fire in a group of people. I think no speech should be of the table.

curiousFred likes this.
  2. BigDomBlkMan

BigDomBlkMan Looking for women/families!

There should be no limits to freedom of speech.

curiousFred and JoshuaMN like this.
  3. WaywardMage

WaywardMage Account Deleted

Unlimited. Swing your arms and shout as much as you want but the moment you land a hit or cause an imminent threat ala Brandenburg test we got a problem.

Brutus58 and curiousFred like this.
  4. Insp Gadget

Insp Gadget Trusted.Member

I don't think that freedom equates to licence.

curiousFred likes this.
  5. se'sxac

se'sxac Account Deleted

Maybe, maybe not. If you feel you have the right to say what you want, are you prepared to deal with the consequences?

Or to put it more directly, if you go around spreading lies about someone, don't be surprised if you get your face smashed in.

Brutus58, curiousFred and Insp Gadget like this.
  6. WaywardMage

For the most part, all is fair game save libel, incitement, obscenity, imminent and lawless action and CP.
    Consequences are more public than legally actionable as it should be

curiousFred likes this.
  7. Insp Gadget

Yes, I get that. It's the 'consequences' part that imho is the key to things working.

But hell, it's hard enough to get people to take responsibility after the fact - to assume that they'll consider potential consequences beforehand may be optimistic.

Brutus58 and curiousFred like this.
  8. WaywardMage

People by large are idiots and abuse the system damning consequences and yet, it's still better than letting government step in and regulate speech.
    Kinda like the Espionage and Sedition Act a century ago.

9. Insp Gadget

So what do you guys think of this ?

You may have heard that a couple of our 'diplomats' are on an extended stay in China these days. For 'spying' no less. And I say good for China.

What the hell were they thinking ? Like China needs some ambitious Canuck Crusaders over there snooping around and telling them how they should be doing things ??

Perhaps the dopes might have done better to learn and respect the laws of another Country.

So simple. Woulda saved a lotta trouble.

curiousFred likes this.
  10. WaywardMage

I'm no Leaf but, a caught spy probably wasn't a good spy now was he?

Insp Gadget and curiousFred like this.
  11. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

The problem with restricting 'Free Speech' is who get's to do the restricting. No matter who restricts the speech, someone would object, so in all fairness no restriction should be placed on speech.

12. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

13. Insp Gadget

If I were the leader of a Country, duly elected by the People, and some outside interest (a foreign-owned news media network, let's say) was profiting from their words, constantly mocking our Country, demeaning it - they'd be shut down in a heartbeat. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  14. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

Licence equals privilege not a RIGHT. You have a drivers licence not because you have the right to drive, the government decreed you have a privilege to drive that can be revoked anytime. It also allows the government the ability to place any and all restrictions it wants.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    Insp Gadget likes this.
  15. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

Are you speaking literally, legally or metaphorically?

16. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

In the case of China with this virus crisis (they caused and lied about), they NEED some one to tell them how to do things and NOT lie about it.

Insp Gadget likes this.
  17. Insp Gadget

This whole mis-trust of China bandwagon thing sure reminds me of the time when Russia was the 'Evil Empire ' and was held automatically responsible for any of the World's ills at the time. Just saying.

18. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

Very similar just not the same, sorta like chicken soup recipes.

19. se'sxac

se'sxac Account Deleted

Any of the above, I suppose. Depending on the circumstances.
    All hypothetically speaking, of course:
    A kid in high school tells his buddies that Jennie sucked him off in the back seat of his car. It wasn't true, Jennie never went near him, but it doesn't matter. In an hour, the whole school knows. Jennie's boyfriend takes exception to this. The kid spends the next month in hospital. A consequence of exercising your right to free speech.
    Fast forward ten years, making the same claim in the office would result in a law suit, and potentially ending your career. Another consequence of exercising your right to free speech.
    You can apply it beyond individuals. The Trump administration decides to deflect the blame for its own incompetence by constantly blaming China for everything. The Chinese take exception to this. They have in fact developed a vaccine for the covid 19 problem, but they refuse to share it with America until a couple of million Americans have died. Yet another consequence of exercising your right to free speech.
    I'm all in favor of freedom, but freedom of speech, or opinion, or action, has to end at the point where it causes harm to someone else.

Brutus58 and Insp Gadget like this.
  20. se'sxac

se'sxac Account Deleted

It all depends which side you are on.

Personally, I don't "trust" any of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.