1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

First Interstellar Visitor

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by Insp Gadget, Nov 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Insp Gadget

Insp Gadget Trusted.Member

An object from interstellar space has likely been spotted in our solar system - it is the first time ever that such an observation has been made.

[​IMG]

The object, originally designated as A/2017 U1, was detected last week by researchers using the Pan-STARRS 1 telescope in Hawaii. It has now been named Oumuamua, which in Hawaiian means 'a messenger from afar arriving first'.

Based on its current trajectory, the visitor came from the direction of the constellation Lyra and approached our solar system from 'above' perpendicular to the plane in which most planets orbit the Sun.The object then crossed that plane on September 2, inside the orbit of Mercury, before making its closest pass by the Sun a week later.

[​IMG]

The object is now travelling outwards at about 98,400 mph (158,360 km/h) relative to the Sun, headed towards the constellation Pegasus.

It is estimated that there are between one and 10 of these types of 'visitors' per year in our solar system, but they move so fast that we've never before been able to see or study them.

Brutus58 and Neophyte like this.
  2. Zarp

Zarp Trusted.Member

Kind of reminds me of sci-fi book Arthur C. Clarke book, Rama. In fact it is almost an exact look for his descriptions of it lol.

Brutus58 and Insp Gadget like this.
  3. Insp Gadget

Yes, I remember that - good catch. I enjoyed that story.

[​IMG] ... I wonder if there is a flower inside of Oumuamua ?

Brutus58 and Zarp like this.
  4. Zarp

Zarp Trusted.Member

Heh, the first sight I had of that object kind of gave me cold chills lol, that book was my first thought!

Insp Gadget likes this.
  5. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

I read that and loved it. It opened my mind to a lot of possibilities. The Foundation Triligy is very good also. As is anything by Issac Asimov. Happy reading everybody (if you are into sci-fi).

Zarp and Insp Gadget like this.
  6. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

The Rama books are a trilogy, Rendezvous with Rama, Rama 2, The Garden of Rama. Last I check the Foundation series was up to 5 books, The Foundation, The Foundation and the Empire, The Second Foundation, The Foundations Edge, The Foundation and Earth.

Insp Gadget likes this.
  7. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

I did not know that Rama was a trilogy and that there are five books in the Foundation series. I need to go to the book store.

Neophyte likes this.
  8. Dad's toy

Dad's toy Trusted.Member

Never liked Rama.
    Loved Foundation

toy

9. Zarp

Zarp Trusted.Member

I enjoyed the Rama series, they are a steady curve during each book no real build up to a huge climax.

10. Insp Gadget

(Original was in French.)​

Neophyte likes this.
  11. Zarp

Zarp Trusted.Member

Damn cool, never new about this lol. I went and tried to look it up and found something interesting. Morgan Freeman has been attached as a producer to a real Ram movie for years now trying to get it made.

Neophyte, Brutus58 and Insp Gadget like this.
  12. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

I would really like to see this movie made. The book was terrific.

Neophyte, Insp Gadget and Zarp like this.
  13. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

I hope that somebody makes the Foundation series a movie someday.

Neophyte and Insp Gadget like this.
  14. Insp Gadget

Morgan Freeman ?? What the hell would he know about this stuff ? Oh well, I suppose it'd be better than Harvey Weinstein ! :D

One of my favourite sci-fi authors is Harlan Ellison. Here he is discussing the genre, along with a couple of the original Star Trek cast :

Brutus58 and Neophyte like this.
  15. Neophyte

I liked Rendezvous with Rama, Rama 2 was ok, The Garden of Rama was a disappointment to me.

16. Neophyte

As Hollywood types go, I found that Morgn Freeman is not so bad. He's not like the average nut job you hear from that place and his ideas and opinions are down to earth even if you don't agree with them.

Brutus58 and Insp Gadget like this.
  17. Amanda

Amanda Account Deleted

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.