1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Did You Know ?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by Neophyte, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Insp Gadget

Insp Gadget Trusted.Member

2. itshot

itshot Trusted.Member

I wonder how much money was spent studying that BS.

Brutus58 and Insp Gadget like this.
  3. Insp Gadget

[​IMG]

Brutus58, oldman681 and Neophyte like this.
  4. Insp Gadget

[​IMG]

Brutus58, oldman681 and itshot like this.
  5. Insp Gadget

[​IMG]

Dane, Neophyte, itshot and 2 others like this.
  6. Insp Gadget

7. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

An insight to the way I think. I find this type of thing to be fun and entertaining. I'm not much into the fascinating and riveting lives of the Real Housewives of Wherever.

Brutus58, itshot and Insp Gadget like this.
  8. Insp Gadget

AMEN pal [​IMG] I knew I was going to like that vid as soon as I'd finished reading the intro. :)

Brutus58 and Neophyte like this.
  9. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    Brutus58, Insp Gadget and itshot like this.
  10. Insp Gadget

" To be able to build surfing anywhere in the world. Blows my mind. The terraforming. Bring the ocean to you. Portable.

See the evolution of Wavegarden, world leaders in man-made wave technologies, in 2 minutes. "

11. Insp Gadget

[​IMG]

The Shamrock is not the symbol of Ireland

The shamrock is a popular Irish symbol, but it is not the symbol of Ireland. As early as the medieval period, the harp has appeared on Irish gravestones and manuscripts. However, it is certain that the harp was popular in Irish legend and culture even well before that period.

Since the medieval period, the harp has represented the nation. King Henry VIII used the harp on coins as early as 1534. Later, the harp was used on Irish flags and Irish coats of arms. The harp was also used as a symbol of the Irish people during their long struggle for freedom. Starting in 1642 the harp appeared on flags during rebellions against English rule. When Ireland became an independent country in 1921, it adopted the harp as the national symbol.

Saint Patrick wasn't Irish

St. Patrick wasn't Irish, and he wasn't born in Ireland. Patrick's parents were Roman citizens living in modern-day England, or more precisely in Scotland or Wales (scholars cannot agree on which). He was born in 385 AD. By that time, most Romans were Christians and the Christian religion was spreading rapidly across Europe.

Saint Patrick was once a slave

At the age of XX, Patrick had the misfortune of being kidnapped by Irish raiders who took him away and sold him as a slave. He spent several years in Ireland herding sheep and learning about the people there. At the age of 22, he managed to escape. He made his way to a monastery in England where he spent 12 years growing closer to God.

St. Patrick used the shamrock to preach about the Trinity

Many claim the shamrock represents faith, hope, and love or any number of other things, but it was actually used by Patrick to teach the mystery of the Holy Trinity, and how three things (the Father, The Son, and the Holy Spirit) could be separate entities, yet one in the same. Apparently the pagan rulers of Ireland found Patrick to be convincing, because they quickly converted to Christianity.

Legend says Saint Patrick drove all the snakes from Ireland

According to legend, St. Patrick drove all the snakes, or in some translations 'toads' out of Ireland. In reality, this probably did not occur, as there is no evidence that snakes have ever existed in Ireland, the climate being too cool for them to thrive. Despite that, scholars suggest that the term 'snakes' may be figurative and refer to pagan religious beliefs and practices rather than reptiles or amphibians.

Saint Patrick's colour is blue

The original colour associated with St. Patrick is blue, not green as commonly believed. In several artworks depicting the saint, he is shown wearing blue vestments. King Henry VIII used the Irish harp in gold on a blue flag to represent the country. Since that time, and possibly before, blue has been a popular colour to represent the country on flags, coats-of-arms, and even sports jerseys.

Green was associated with the country later, presumably because of the greenness of the countryside, which is so because Ireland receives plentiful rainfall. Today, the country is also referred to as the 'Emerald Isle'.

March 17th is when Saint Patrick died

Saint Patrick is a saint of the Catholic Church, and his holy day is the day of his death, and subsequent entrance to heaven, rather than the day of his physical birth. After spending most of his adult life converting the pagans of Ireland to Christianity, St. Patrick went to his reward on March 17, 461 AD.

Sorry, No mentioning of ages under 18 allowed in this section. Neo

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2019
    Brutus58, Dane, itshot and 1 other person like this.
  12. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

Ohio is the only state in the USA without a flag.
    It is actually a burgee.

flag jpg3.png

The 17 stars stand for Ohio being the 17th state admitted to the union.
    The circle and triangle stand for the hills and valleys of Ohio, with is not really
    relevant as 80% of the state is almost perfectly flat!

(Though an interesting fact, Ohio was really the 42nd state admitted as some researchers
    came upon the original paperwork and it had not been fully signed)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2019
    itshot, Brutus58, Neophyte and 2 others like this.
  13. Insp Gadget

[​IMG]

... and this one ... [​IMG]

itshot, Brutus58, Dane and 2 others like this.
  14. Insp Gadget

15. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

According to one of the screen writers interviewed, what Vader says is " No, I am the father".

Brutus58 and Insp Gadget like this.
  16. Insp Gadget

Here is the scene - the line is at 2:00 :

Brutus58 and itshot like this.
  17. Insp Gadget

[​IMG]

oldman681 and itshot like this.
  18. Insp Gadget

Do you ever wonder if you're consuming things wrong ?

" Many people struggle with food and other consumer goods because they're simply using them wrong. Just because everyone else always eats a food or uses a consumer good a certain way, doesn't mean it's the best way to consume that product. "

There's some good ideas in here :

Neophyte, Brutus58 and itshot like this.
  19. stepdad22

stepdad22 Graduated from the school of sexual perversions .

Did you know that a regular intake of pussy juice blended with sperm will add ten years to your life span ?

Brutus58 likes this.
  20. oldman681

oldman681 Trusted.Member

If that is true I better get busy catching up , sounds like a fun way to live longer , too good to be true ?

Insp Gadget and Brutus58 like this.