1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Damn, I feel sorry for those of you that live in California

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by longing4sis, Apr 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. longing4sis

longing4sis Trusted Member

California Lawmakers Approve Gas Tax To Pay For $52 Billion Infrastructure Plan

April 7 (Reuters) - California lawmakers on Thursday approved legislation to increase gasoline taxes and other transportation-related fees for the first time in decades, to fund an ambitious $52 billion plan to repair the state’s sagging infrastructure.
    The legislation heads to the desk of Democratic Governor Jerry Brown, who urged its support after the Democratic-led state legislature passed it on Thursday with a 27-11 vote in the Senate and then a 54-26 vote hours later in the Assembly.
    “The Democratic Party is the party of doing things, and tonight we did something to fix the roads in California,” Brown said during a news conference after the vote. “We got to fix them. It takes real money.”
    The measure will increase the excise tax on gasoline by 12 cents per gallon from the current $0.28 and on diesel fuel by 20 cents per gallon, among other fees, over 10 years. The money will be used for repairs to roads and bridges as well as for anti-congestion projects.
    Owners of electric vehicles, who do not use gasoline and would not pay the gas tax, would have to pay a $100 fee to help repair roads. The fees and taxes should raise about $5.2 billion per year.
    The average motorist in California will see costs increase by about $10 a month, according to Democrats, the Sacramento Bee newspaper reported.
    Republicans condemned the plan, saying the state’s transportation taxes and fees were already among the highest in the country.
    “Democrats want us to pick up the tab for their decades of neglect,” state party chairman Jim Brulte said in a statement. “The liberal Democrat elites are out of touch and Californians should not be used as a piggy bank for the majority party’s failures.”
    California’s transportation systems have gone unrepaired and unexpanded for decades, as budget constraints and politics have stymied plans by Democrats and Republicans alike.
    Brown, a fiscal moderate credited with bringing the state back from a $27 billion budget gap, has refused to sign on to plans that involve borrowing money, and Republicans and some moderate Democrats have resisted raising gasoline taxes.
    But the same Democratic wave that led California to go two-for-one in favor of former presidential candidate Hillary Clinton last November gave the party a two-thirds majority in both houses of the legislature, enough to pass new taxes without Republican support.
    The deal won support of construction companies and labor unions, and Democratic lawmakers on Wednesday put up a unified front on what had been the divisive issue of raising taxes.

2. villager

villager Trusted.Member

I hope the people of California don't and up like the people in Australia , we are still paying a " short term " tax on gasoline to pay for the 1956 Melbourne Olympic game's , so much for a short turn .

longing4sis likes this.
  3. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

I live in California and I know exactly how the Liberal Democrats work here. The probability that the money raised by this gas and transportation tax going to fix California's roads and infrastructure is very small. Some of the money will be used for the stated purpose, just enough to divert any overt attention, but most of the money will go to projects and programs intended to further strengthen democratic control of California and money will be sent to the DNC to help them spread there control in other areas of the U.S. I've looked at a lot of the activities of the Democratic party and California is one of the major sources of funding for them and they will do a lot to keep it that way, legal or otherwise.

longing4sis likes this.
  4. longing4sis

longing4sis Trusted Member

Yeah it's funny how this new tax come up the same year that President Trump said that he wants to improve infrastructure of our country. Meaning roads, bridges, dams and public transportation. So what ever road improvements happen your governor will claim his gas tax was responsible for. When in reality it was most likely federal funds. Now that could change if your state passes the "sanctuary state" proposal. Then President Trump wants to cut federal funds. So then you all are really up shit creek.:)

villager and Neophyte like this.
  5. Princess Amy

Princess Amy Account Deleted

yeah nothing like getting fuck by your state.

longing4sis and villager like this.
  6. winchester73

winchester73 Trusted.Member

It's easy to miss the point, here, folks. Since the turn of the twentieth century, the only California economy has been cars and land. Everything else that has come along has been nothing more than a distraction. The aerospace business was let go with tears but it was let go. California was one of the first states to harvest the idea of "obsolete vehicle engineering'' buy passing law enabling the state to establish fines on older cars. The never-ending turnover in the California vehicle market is legendary. The new car you buy in California today will be ILLEGAL ten years from now.

Real estate promotions go back to the late eighteen hundreds. There are documented ad campaigns for beautiful California land opportunities in major eastern cities like Chicago and Memphis in those time periods and the cycle of alluring promotions was relentless into the 1950s. Tax revenues on California properties became so aggressively egregeous in the late 70s that the "homeowners revolt" Ganz tax reform bill was passed to recharge the market. The state manipulations of the land markets caused an overnight condition of a home selling for $45K in 1974 could be sold for $150K in 1984 and ,today, would go for $350K.

What I'm trying to point out here, folks, is that government harvesting by taxes on anything related to land and vehicles has become an immoveable parasite in the California economy and the apparent favorite parasite of liberal Democrats. To drive the point home, the only "secured" loans in California are vehicles and land and, secondly, the only stable financial conditions over the last century in California have been around vehicles and land.

Emmet Dalton, the only Dalton survivor to the infamous Coffeville, Kansas bank raid, survived his wounds and prison to become a real estate agent in California. He was known to stand at the bar and announce that he made a hell of a lot more money selling real estate in California than he ever dreamed of in robbing banks.

longing4sis likes this.
  7. FromNoWhere

FromNoWhere New Member

I was born in San Bernardino. It's a shit hole IMHO, but I still have a bunch of family there. I'm happy to be in Texas :)

8. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

I think things really started to go bad in California when Carter was elected President. He started the demise of California in my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.