1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

By the numbers... (sorry... another COVID thread)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by SecretWishes, Apr 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SecretWishes

SecretWishes Trusted.Member

I was just going over the numbers of covid and it dawned- no... it HIT me- just how bad this really is

As of THIS POST, the numbers look like this in the news reports I've been seeing.

2,481,528 cases world wide

170,439 dead

Looking at it, it seems that 1 in 13 have a sad ending, but then it dawned on me that the 170k dead are just the ones that are completed... so a little bit more looking found this

647,734 recovered as of 20 minutes before this post.

That's 818,173 resolved cases... with that in mind

79% recover from the virus,
    21% die from the virus...

To round out the numbers we'll call it... 1 in 5 chance of dying...

Assuming the trend continues down this path... 1,663,355 open cases...

Just about 350,000 more people will have passed on (sorry got too overwhelmed to run the math in my head at 21%) by the end of their battle with this virus... 350+170... 520,000ish dead if the spread stops NOW...
    On a more positive note, that IS just shy of 2 million recovered.

About 1 in 400 are REPORTED infected or been infected in the USA... That would put 5 infected people just in my high school from my past and one of them would be dead...

Those last numbers hit close when you think about it...

so I implore you and everyone out there:

[​IMG]

BE SAFE AND DO NOT RISK GETTING THIS VIRUS!
    This virus is very deadly and can pass even if the person has NO symptoms and is still in incubation.

My prayers are with us all because, God help us, we need every prayer we can get.

Sincerely,
    Secret Wishes

2. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

There are some conflicting reports on the number of cases and the number of deaths. Some studies found that many people who catch the virus, don't even know that they caught it and the number of deaths are reported as people testing positive for the virus, but not necessarily dying from the virus. I saw a report that the number of cases are 80 times higher than the reported cases and the number of deaths are about half of what is reported. Dying from the virus, according to some is about 1 out of 1,000.

3. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

If my neighbor and I said that the mortality rate was 100%, then, according to some, the mortality rate would be 100%.
    Which of course would be total bullshit, but posting bullshit is perfectly within the rules.

curiousFred likes this.
  4. Neophyte

Brutus58 likes this.
  5. jinzooo

jinzooo Trusted Member

STAY HOME

curiousFred likes this.
  6. borabora

borabora Moderator Staff Member

About actual Covid19 disease infections rise in some countries and
    good shown analyse of pandemic situation in different risky countries of the World,
    (including US), illustrated with diagrams.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-51235105

About US -

Thousands fewer people would have died if the United States had imposed social-distancing measures one week earlier in March, according to a study by Columbia University disease modellers.

At one point, more than 90% of the US population was under mandatory lockdown orders, but all 50 states have now begun to loosen their stay-at-home restrictions and allowed some businesses to reopen - a move health officials fear could further spread the virus.

Top US infectious diseases doctor Anthony Fauci has cautioned against opening up public life too soon, warning of further "little spikes" which could become bigger outbreaks.

President Trump, who disagrees with Dr Fauci's advice, has made it clear he is keen to reopen the US economy "vaccine or no vaccine".

The latest figures show more than 38.6 million people have lost their jobs since the outbreak hit the US. That's nearly a quarter of the American workforce.

The rise means the jobless rate is now worse than at any time since the Great Depression of the 1930s.

7. Neophyte

The lockdown was instituted to slowdown the spread of the virus, it was never meant to stop the spread. So the study is wrong, the same number of people would have died, just in a longer period of time.

curiousFred and Brutus58 like this.
  8. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

Some of that sounds like the Co-Morbidity argument. That it was not Covid, just Covid and nothing but Covid that killed them and therefore was not Covid at all. That is flawed because, then, no one dies of the Flu. Ever. It is the Pneumonia they develop. The heart attack that being sick with Flu caused.

No one has died of AIDs. It is always a secondary infection not the AIDs.

Brutus58 likes this.
  9. buffyfan

But, unlike the Depression? SOME industries that people are filing from? They are filing because the Boss wants them "In the office or nothing!". A good portion of office jobs, not supporting face to face primary business? Can be DONE FROM HOME. It is a mix of old people who want things "like they were when I was young" and cheap bosses who dont upgrade on a "But I can cut costs if I dont" thought. I work from the Firm offices. But that is because they are on my property. Everyone from me and the senior parteners to the Paralegals and Secretaries have work from home abilities. The Brokerage (you will see why) we partner with are all working from home. Direct sales? Working from home. There are three types of owners I see in this. The one that is actually "put upon" by this because they require face to face, and cant. The ones who adapted to "today" before this happened. And the last is the "wring every penny of profit for me!"/"When I entered this industry in 1953........" owners who think they dont have to adapt to "today", everyone should just keep "yesterday" as reality.

I have also seen, through the Civil Law side of the firm (we partner with a large insurance broker to be a one stop shop for each other's customers) a lot of owners who are losing because they did not, in fact, "reinvest every penny" and instead "Bought cool personal shit" anytime there was good profit. And now that the $ stopped? They are having to consider selling the Mercedes CLK 450 they bought in cash back in December. May have sell some ART to keep it open.

Brutus58 likes this.
  10. Neophyte

Do you know that as they started to report more people dying from covid19, they reported fewer people dying from flu and other causes. I believe someone report that in some areas, report flu death's drop to zero.

And yes people have died of aids. It causes a degeneration of the brain, which eventually causes death, but it takes a long time and you are more likely of dying from other causes first.

11. Neophyte

Brutus58 likes this.
  12. pussycat

With people practicing social distancing, proper hygiene, and wearing facial coverings, I'd be very surprised if flu transmission didn't drop dramatically.

It doesn't take a genius to figure that one out. :rolleyes:

And if you want to be totally technical about it, everyone dies from cardiac arrest.

13. pussycat

"Cause of death" has different meanings depending on the context. From a legal perspective, "gunshot wound" may be quite valid. Medically, its "exsanguination" (usually - the bullet wound caused you to bleed to death).
    It's when people start bending the interpretation of statistics to suit their own agenda that we get into trouble. If you want to downplay the seriousness of a drug problem, then "drug overdose" becomes "heart failure". If you want to make it look like you're doing a good job of controlling the Covid 19 outbreak, just list cause of death as "respiratory failure".

Politicians should not be allowed access to data until after it has been publicly released by the Chief Medical Officer. That way they can't bend it to suit their own re-election chances.

As to AIDS, Neophyte is technically correct. However the odds of living long enough with AIDS (not to be confused with being HIV positive) for that to occur are so small as to be statistically insignificant. In a practical sense, no one dies of AIDS.

14. pussycat

Don't you love statistics?

"we are testing more people than any other country, and the infection rate has stabilized".

Has it ever occurred to these morons that the more people you test, the less likely they are to be infected? So if the infection rate is stable, that's actually a very bad sign?
    It means the virus is much more widespread throughout an asymptomatic population.

But that doesn't fit very well with "let's open up the economy", so we'll just ignore it, people are too stupid to figure it out by themselves.

15. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

Just remember that THOUSANDS of people would still BE ALIVE if Gov. Cuomo (NY) didn't MANDATE that COVID-19 infected people MUST be admitted to nursing homes. WHAT A GOD DAMN FUCKING MORON!!!!!!!! This I truly believe was his way of reducing medicare/medicaid payments by the state. This is nothing short of PREMEDITATED MURDER!!!!

curiousFred likes this.
  16. curiousFred

curiousFred Trusted.Member

Hmmmm, that virus is killing off the old and weak, is in fact making humanity stronger by elimination ?

Brutus58 likes this.
  17. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

Not so much as to make humanity stronger (they most likely already added their genetics to the population) as much as it reduces government costs. A pretty callous way to reduce expenditures.

curiousFred likes this.
  18. buffyfan

Want to hear something hillarious. NYC is the only place in the state that is not in Stage 2 or about to be. Because everyone else Stayed TF inside for a month then went out. NYC they were walking, going, at parks, exercising in Central (I will really miss topless lunch in Central Park this summer).

Brutus58 likes this.
  19. buffyfan

Yeah. That is missing information. Because the bulk of the lawsuits filing daily now are against the homes not State. Because? There is a little part that means a lot. "You have to let them into the nursing homes". Not "You have to put them back in the same room, at the same rate to preserve profits". That is what the homes did. THey did not isolate them, for the most part (Excluding Artia and Bristol) have "shared rooms" and did not want to "Isolate". Atria and Bristol are the only ones I know of that dont have pending litigation from deaths. That is because those places have Singles, not shared. So the person taken back? Back into their own room. Building was already on lock down. Employees were fever tested at the door, and every 2 hours.

Brutus58 likes this.
  20. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

Gov.Il Duce (Cuomo) would NOT allow testing for either patients or staff for COVID-19 (HIS MANDATE). He also MANDATED that they can't refuse ANY patient. So patients were admitted without any knowledge of infection status. Now he's playing loosey-goosey with the numbers of deaths to cover his ass. On top of that he NOW is saying that they should have not admitted those patients (when he mandated they COULD NOT). Il Duce has no morals or a soul. He IS a mass murderer and should be put in jail for crimes against humanity!!!!!! No death sentence. Just put with an AIDs cell mate and pray they become best of friends sharing everything (especially bodily fluids).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.