1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Bettman Bans Canada ?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by Insp Gadget, Sep 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Insp Gadget

Insp Gadget Trusted.Member

The National Hockey League of the USA has banned all Canadian, and any other international players, from participating in the 2018 Olympics.

Canada's players, Sweden, Finland, Russia, and so on - all of the fine hockey players who have made 'their' league great - are now not allowed to play for their own countries ? How is that fair ?

The NHL's Commissioner is Gary Bettman.

[​IMG]

He stands 5 feet 7 inches tall, and has never played a game of pro hockey in his pitiful life.

But he's a USAer, so he's a 'betterman' than the rest of us - so he can do whatever he pleases.

Canada's players, and all of the international athletes, have made this creep a lot of money - and this is how we all are treated.

It's ludicrous and shameful - and it's the price any country must pay for dealing with a business based in the USA.

annab2 likes this.
  2. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

Bettman is a fucking cockroach, but we've known that for years.

Insp Gadget likes this.
  3. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

4. Insp Gadget

To be fair, it should be noted that the USA's players are affected by this ridiculous ruling as well.

And that includes a USA player who as a rookie was one of the best players in the League last year - Auston Matthews.

Auston Matthews.jpg

And he hails from San Ramon, California. Holy crap - so kids these days are honing their skills playing ice hockey on the streets of San Ramon ! What's this about global warming again ? :)

This young man is an amazing athlete, and a credit to the sport. And he plays for my home team !

So he would be playing for the USA National Team in 2018, if it weren't for the money-grubbing midget Bettman. The USA should put a little pressure on this 'commissioner' - that's what I'd like to see.

And since we're on the topic of hockey - if you want to see hockey played at its highest level of skill, watch the USA and Canadian National Women's teams play against each other. Trust me, those games are played with passion - it's great hockey to see.

5. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

At least he is applying it evenly. I almost understand though. The IOC should not be letting NBA, MLB or NHL or MLS/the whatever European and other league is play either. They are professional.

Insp Gadget likes this.
  6. Insp Gadget

I like that thought, buffyfan - my eldest son and I spar on this one a lot.

They are professionals - okay, so what ? All that seems to mean to me is 'who pays the bills ?' Athletes need to earn a living too. And I think that The Olympics should be about 'the best of the best'.

But this specific situation is a different issue, less philosophical and more about economic fear of athletic 'assets' possibly being injured during international play - if I understand the situation properly.

( And of course I am old enough and patriotic enough to remember when the NHL was based in Montréal - so I'd be fibbing if I denied that my thoughts on the matter are fuelled by national pride. :) )

7. annab2

annab2 Trusted Member"It ain't pretty being easy!"

Please explain, What is, "The National "HOKEY" League" anyway? Is it something like "Skee-Ball?" Are there any "Singles Matches?"

:)Anna

8. Insp Gadget

Oh my. Well at the time it was apparently a typo, but in hindsight it is a sort of hokey self-involved thing that the NHL is doing.
    In my opinion, it would serve the League better to consider the greater good of the sport, rather than some immediate bottom-line issue.

annab2 likes this.
  9. annab2

annab2 Trusted Member"It ain't pretty being easy!"

Unfair as it sounds, we are all judged by our typo's! :p:eek::oops:

10. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

The concept of the Olympics was, I thought at least, for Amateurs to compete. Not professionals.

annab2 and Insp Gadget like this.
  11. Insp Gadget

I recall the rule changing a while ago, at least as far as ice hockey is concerned.

A quick look at Wikipedia got me this :

By the early 21st century the Olympic Games and all the major team sports accepted professional competitors. However, there are still some sports which maintain a distinction between amateur and professional status with separate competitive leagues. The most prominent of these are golf and boxing. In particular, only amateur boxers could compete at the Olympics up to 2016.​

I get the concept of 'amateurism' and the purity of sport and all that, but really can it be enforced ? And if it could, then it would diminish the stature of the Olympics as the 'best of the best' I would think.

But who knows - maybe after this NHL stuff, perhaps they will go back to the 'amateur only' rule.

annab2 likes this.
  12. Zarp

Zarp Trusted.Member

Umm, what about the old basketball dream team??? I know none of those were amateurs, so have that changed things since then??

Insp Gadget and annab2 like this.
  13. Insp Gadget

No - the 'amateurism' take on the situation is just a smokescreen. The real issue is greed.

Sifjaspell likes this.
  14. Zarp

Zarp Trusted.Member

So what you are saying the NHL is saying, "Do as we say not as we do" correct or did I totally misread everything?

Insp Gadget likes this.
  15. Insp Gadget

The NHL are trying to protect what their Commissioner sees as its 'human assets'.

First, they don't like the idea of sharing the costs to have the players participate - despite the fact that participation benefits the sport.

And, they are concerned that a player may become injured during competition - which clearly would 'impact their revenue stream'.

It's a sick joke. This creep Bettman has never played hockey, and all that his narrow mind can understand is debits and credits.

16. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

The introduction of professional athletes into the Olympics came as a response to the Russians. Originally only amateur athletes were allowed to compete. Jim Thorpe had his medals for running taken away because he played a very short time as a professional baseball player. The Russians to get around the professional rule had their athletes paid by the government instead of by the sport team or organizer. The only thing the Russian athletes did was train and play their sport, where as other countries you had amateurs that engaged in their sport outside of their regular jobs.

Insp Gadget and pussycat like this.
  17. pussycat

maybe originally, but thats long gone - now its supposed to be the best your country has to offer

the olympics are one of the most rotten and corrupt organizations on earth, along with FIFA etc, but the NHL ranks right up there with them

nothings about sport any more, its all about money

:mad:

Akbloke and Insp Gadget like this.
  18. pussycat

Right on Neo.

The "Central Red Army" was the best hockey team in the world, and by Olympic rules, were "amateurs". Yeah right!

:rolleyes:

Insp Gadget and Neophyte like this.
  19. pussycat

If you want to see hockey at its best, watch the World Junior Championships. Or better still, any Canada vs USA womens national teams game.

Insp Gadget likes this.
  20. Insp Gadget

Those teams were amazing to watch play.

And putting all the other stuff aside, those original sest of games between our Countries significantly raised the level of the game of ice hockey.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.