1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

A Royal 70th Anniverary

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by Insp Gadget, Nov 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Insp Gadget

Insp Gadget Trusted.Member

Today marks the Seventieth Anniversary of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip.

[​IMG]

Tonight they will be celebrating amongst close friends at Windsor Castle, where this photo was recently taken.

jillicious likes this.
  2. Insp Gadget

[​IMG]

The wedding of Elizabeth II and Prince Philip Duke of Edinburgh took place on 20 November 1947, at Westminster Abbey in London.

jillicious likes this.
  3. gwcc

gwcc Trusted Member

Aren't the queen and the prince 3rd or 4th cousins? Just tying it back to our site here :)

jillicious and Insp Gadget like this.
  4. Insp Gadget

[​IMG]

Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merioneth and Baron Greenwich, was born on the Greek island of Corfu on June 10, 1921. Also known as Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark, Philip is the only son of Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark and Princess Alice of Battenberg. He had four older sisters: Cecilie, Sophie, Margarita and Theodora.

As members of Greek and Danish royalty, Philip and his family were banished from his native country when he was young, with the boy subsequently living in France, Germany and Britain. Philip married Elizabeth Windsor before her ascension to the British throne in 1952. Their children include Prince Charles (heir apparent to the throne) Anne, Andrew and Edward.

While not British, Philip does have family ties to England.

Shortly after his birth, his maternal grandfather, Prince Louis of Battenberg, died in London. Louis was a naturalized British citizen who had adopted the surname Mountbatten during the First World War. Philip is also related to the British royal family as a descendant of Queen Victoria.

Akbloke and jillicious like this.
  5. Akbloke

Akbloke Ex Pig-Fixer "Videmus Agamis"

Yes, all this is true. So this is a good start at doing their Family History tree. Now continue it and dig a bit deeper. You've already hinted at where the modern European Royal Tree has its roots, so keep going..........it gets a lot more interesting..........

I'm putting out the challenge for some one to do it......

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    Insp Gadget likes this.
  6. curiousFred

curiousFred Trusted.Member

The Royals don"t matter to me at all, I don't hate them, they just don't matter to me.
    I cannot imagine the French having a foreign king, or any other modern nation,
    except Australia hanging on to the old Royal/British connections
    for sentimental reasons.
    Besides our politicians don't have the guts for change, fucking wankers and thieves they are.

7. sockpuppet

sockpuppet Trusted.Member

There is a story I heard that happened. Is it true? Back along ago, Philip was having an affair. He was met by a royal servant who said, "Her Majesty desires to speak to you. Follow me Your Highness." Philip was taken to the Queen, sitting on a throne with a crown on her head, under a portrait of Henry VIII. She said to Philip, "We have heard unfortunate stories about your fidelity. We hope they are untrue." Said in a very stern voice. "We hope we will not have to take extreme action." Philip rubbed his neck, understood and ended the affair.

8. Akbloke

Akbloke Ex Pig-Fixer "Videmus Agamis"

Well that may have been a bit hypocritical....siting under a portrait of old Henry the VIII. Not like he didn't have an affair or three, or even 8!!! (or to mention all of the unrecorded others...LOL)

Insp Gadget likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.