1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

A German U-Boat in Labrador ?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by Insp Gadget, Oct 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Insp Gadget

Insp Gadget Trusted.Member

During WWII, did German submarines go this far inland from the Canadian coast ?

staticmap.png

Based on a discovery (still to be authenticated) resarchers believe that they have found a U-boat buried in the sand on the bottom of the Churchill River.

"We do know that German U-boats did operate in that region," said Georg Juergens, the deputy head of mission for the German Embassy in Ottawa.

The German government says it is possible, but added that it would be 'sensational and unusual' that a submarine would have ended up so far inland.

If the find is proven to be a submarine wreck, the German government does not favour bringing it to the surface.

"That would be against our tradition and our naval customs," Juergens said. "This site then would be declared a war grave at sea."

Canadian policy dovetails with German policy on such matters.

2. Princess Amy

Princess Amy Account Deleted

That's where I lift it!.

Insp Gadget likes this.
  3. curiousFred

curiousFred Trusted.Member

That is driving me nuts about You Tube, either it is not loud enough, or it blows my fucking head off.
    The U boat story was barely audible. Sigh.
    But thanks for trying.

4. Akbloke

Akbloke Ex Pig-Fixer "Videmus Agamis"

It wouldn't surprise me at all if there actually was a Kreigsmarine Unterseeboot there. It is well within the range of the U-boot Pens on the coast of France, and that area was close to where the Atlantic convoys were operating, so why not?

We had Japanese aircraft flying over Auckland and over Sydney, and there are unsubstantiated reports of Japanese aircraft flying over the Panama area as well. So where would these aircraft have come from? Not and Aircraft Carrier, but an ocean going submarine, like the one that attacked Sydney Harbour and narrowly missed the USS Chicago and sunk the HMAS Kuttabul instead (killing about 19 ratings).

Just as another side story, the USS Chicago shortly afterwards sailed up to Guadalcanal.....and the rest, as they say, is history.

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.