1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

For Those Texans

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jamie jackson, Feb 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muffdiver

muffdiver RIP (1948-2017)

woke up in Texas.jpg

kool69 likes this.
  2. jim stone

jim stone Gentleman Jim

Muff I sure do. A play on names from B B King to ZZ Top. I have never met them but one of my good friends in Tyler is a friend of Billy Gibbons. I enjoy their music. Another bunch of boys with a Texas blues sound.

Gentleman Jim

kool69 likes this.
  3. jim stone

jim stone Gentleman Jim

Muff in rereading your post and doing some thinking I know a couple of Robins in Tyler. Quite possible that we have mutual friends in Tyler. Both of the Robins have ties in some way to the music business. Life is funny that way.

Gentleman Jim

4. muffdiver

When they were trying to decide what to name the band, they finally settled on one of 2 names both of them rolling papers, zig zag and top. They couldn't decide on which name so they used both only they decided to go with the ZZ for zig zag and Top, and as the old saying goes history was made.

5. muffdiver

Robin's name Jim is the name of a famous fictional english outlaw

6. whenindoubtwhipitout

whenindoubtwhipitout Trusted.Member

Kind of like Fats Dominoe and Chubby Checker no doubt.......

7. jim stone

jim stone Gentleman Jim

Muff yes in fact we do have a mutual friend. I met him nine or ten years ago. His studio work is legendary. The last time I saw him was about a year ago at a show in Linden, Texas. I don't think that the crowd even knew how famous he was and even who he was. He and I had a conversation my wife had known him and had introduced us. He will sometimes run the soundboard at the Music City Texas Theater in Linden, Texas. He has produced records that have been on the Billboard's top 10. Small world!!!!!

Gentleman Jim

8. jim stone

jim stone Gentleman Jim

Here is a short You Tube video of one of my lady friends from Fort Worth who is one of the best drummers around. For as old as she is she can still keep up with the young musicians. Texas is the only place the little boys want to grow up to be Stevie Ray Vaughan. Linda Waring cut her teeth at The Cellar Club Dallas. She was dummer for The Shuffle Kings Bugs Henderson's band. Enjoy

Gentleman Jim

kool69 and whenindoubtwhipitout like this.
  9. muffdiver

10. whenindoubtwhipitout

11. whenindoubtwhipitout

I first saw Bugs at a club not a mile from the house. My wife saw him another time, same club jamming with Ted Nugent who was a close friend of Bug's and was in town for the guitar show. RIP Bugs.

jim stone and kool69 like this.
  12. muffdiver

Buddy Holly's widow has remarried and she now lives in Irving Tx or at least did in the 80's I had a coworker that went to school with her son.

13. Akbloke

Akbloke Ex Pig-Fixer "Videmus Agamis"

That was definitely a very sad day in the history of Rock music.

What might have been.......so much talent.

kool69 likes this.
  14. jim stone

jim stone Gentleman Jim

Back when I lived in Iowa and was a young student pilot at 23. My flight instructor sent me on a cross country flight first leg was to Mason City, Iowa. I got some one to sign my log book climbed in the plane and took off on the second leg of my flight. When I got back my flight instructor ask me if I saw it. I said saw what? He told me one of the first cross countries he would send his students on was to Mason City on days that they would take off on the north south runway going north. He said no one ever saw the memorial on the place where Buddy Holley's plane crashed. I climbed back in the plane and flew back to Mason City just to see it from the air. A year or so later I visited it by car.
    Yes I have been to a dance or three at the Surf Ballroom. I figured it was a good Oman that if you could take off from that airport going north that you would never have any problems, I never did.

A web site that is informative about the day the music died.

http://www.spiritualtravels.info/ar...oom-and-buddy-holly-plane-crash-site-in-iowa/

Gentleman Jim

P.S. yes there will always be a special connection between Texas and Iowa because of this plane crash.

whenindoubtwhipitout likes this.
  15. muffdiver

tecas house.jpg

kool69 likes this.
  16. muffdiver

texan.jpg

kool69 likes this.
  17. muffdiver

18. whenindoubtwhipitout

19. jim stone

jim stone Gentleman Jim

Whenindoubt being from the Midwest it is easy for me to pick up the difference in speech patterns. Every sixty miles speech dialectics become different. Part of the reasons you see prominent Midwestern dialect in scattered parts of Texas is that in Dallas and Houston areas Midwesterners came to seek their fortunes in the lone star state. The Rio Grande valley is where all the Midwesterners go to retire at least in the winter. They call themselves Snow Birds. My parents did it for 12 years.

The border area between Texas and Louisiana the locals still have a tiny bit of the Cajun twang. It's never left them and is still embedded after all these years. There are hint of Appalachian speech dialects because of the migration of those people into Texas. The people of Smith county are a prime example. The people of color still have a unique dialect all of it's own. It changes also with location. Some of them I have a very hard time understanding. I have noticed that the more education people of all races have dictates what the speech dialect is like. Now we haven't even got into the Mexican/Spanish dialect influence yet.

Gentleman Jim

kool69 likes this.
  20. whenindoubtwhipitout

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.