1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

New Horizons To Pluto

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by jamie jackson, Apr 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamie jackson

jamie jackson Trusted Member

I get that feeling every time I view through my telescope ... it is awe-inspiring.

To think that, just by sweeping around the sky, I am a part of a Universe so big, so spectacular ...

... sweeping past objects so far away, at such an early point in time.

And just perhaps ... unknowingly passing by other beings, who might be doing the very same thing, and passing by me.

Jamie

annab2 likes this.
  2. whenindoubtwhipitout

whenindoubtwhipitout Trusted.Member

3. kevin76

kevin76 Trusted Member

scouter_John likes this.
  4. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

5. Neophyte

6. Neophyte

There has been some "guess what's" in some of the other threads, so why not this one. Guess what's the name of this object.

mystery.jpg

buddy59, Sexy_Nerd79 and scouter_John like this.
  7. buddy59

buddy59 Trusted Member

Onward to 2014 MU69! This is the next body NASA is looking to explore, 1 Billion miles from Pluto.

scouter_John likes this.
  8. scouter_John

scouter_John New Member

Well, without looking it up, I'd guess that it's a moon, most likely of Saturn or Jupiter ?

John

9. scouter_John

scouter_John New Member

Your words have proven to be prophetic, because the NASA folks are now looking for a place for New Horizons to explore in the Kuiper Belt ...

[​IMG]

John

10. Neophyte

You're on the right track. It is a moon of Saturn. But what is it's name? This image was posted on an internet news feed within the last week.

11. scouter_John

scouter_John New Member

I believe that I might have it.

It could be the subject of this link (so it won't spoil the fun for anyone still thinking - just don't click it).

John

12. Neophyte

Missed it by 2.

13. buddy59

buddy59 Trusted Member

I think it may be Mercury

14. Neophyte

Nope, read scouter_john's posts.

15. scouter_John

scouter_John New Member

Neophyte, this riddle of yours is evil ! :D

It's like trying to compare black-and-white photos of billiard balls - there are no features !

Okay ... so I'm now down to Rhea, Dione, and Tethys ...

:) John

16. Neophyte

You guessed that the images was of Enceladus, a moon of Saturn. It is a image of Dione, which is a moon of Saturn, but 2 orbits further out. What fun would it be if it was too easy.

17. Neophyte

telescope-view.jpg

This has nothing to do with Pluto, but it is very interesting. This is suppose to be an image of a quasar powered by two orbiting black-holes.

double-blackhole.jpg

This is an artists representation of what it would look like.

buddy59, scouter_John and Sexy_Nerd79 like this.
  18. scouter_John

scouter_John New Member

That is nice, Neophyte, thank you.

My understanding is that objects so massive and so small, such as quasars and pulsars and black holes, all have the same curious composition, whatever it is.

But our mathematics doesn't go that far ... so far. (Hey, Sir Isaac Newton had to invent calculus to support his theory of gravity, so surely we can, too.)

And how such objects appear to our eyes, depends upon their surroundings. For example, if there is mass surrounding them, they can whip it around so fast that the radiation from the swirling matter becomes visible to our telescopes. And, depending upon their orientation, they can show up to us looking like different objects to us.

John

Neophyte likes this.
  19. scouter_John

scouter_John New Member

Not to take Jamie from her topic, but I am sure that she and I would agree that the Universe seems relentlessly intent upon creating intelligent life.

Within each star, there is a core where the elementary particles are becoming increasingly compressed. One day, a star has to explode in some way, and all of those atoms will eventually combine with others, creating molecules.

And over time, the molecules become more complex, and therefore more massive ... so tat they are attracted to planets (also the inevitable result of star-building).

Should they find welcome conditions on a planet, they shall become even more complex, until ... and it takes time ... intelligent life shall result.

Finally, such intelligent life will turn their telescopes outwards, to ponder with wonder.

It is a cosmic circle, Neophyte ... intelligent life is the Universe's way of understanding itself.

John ... with fond regards for Jamie

20. Neophyte

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.