1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

New Horizons To Pluto

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by jamie jackson, Apr 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. probiotic

probiotic New Member

It's absolutely mind boggling what we've been able to achieve... At the same time, only 2% of our ocean floors have been mapped and explored

scouter_John and jamie jackson like this.
  2. Trishi

Trishi 100% PROUD GERMAN WOMAN

NEW PICS OF PLUTO
    la-sci-horizons-journey-to-pluto-video-20150123.jpg pluto2.jpg Pluto-REX-v3.jpg

annab2, villager, buddy59 and 2 others like this.
  3. Trishi

4. Trishi

When new pic's come out is it alright for me to post them on your thread Jamie.

jamie jackson likes this.
  5. jamie jackson

jamie jackson Trusted Member

Trishi ... there is no need for anyone to ask my permission to post. Good grief, can you imagine the confusion (not to mention delay) if we had to do that for every post by everyone ?

I think that just being level headed, considerate of each other and using common sense is the way to go.

That having been said, I really did like those pictures - that Pluto mission ( to us space nerds ) is very exciting, so thank you.

:) Jamie

6. Princess Amy

Princess Amy Account Deleted

from this pic it look's like it may have some kind of atmosphere a round it.

7. jamie jackson

Amy, that is a great point !

NASA's spacecraft was timed to travel to Pluto when Pluto is closest to the Sun (and us). Makes sense ... it saves time and fuel.

And, when Pluto is closest to the Sun, it does have an atmosphere.

" When Pluto is closer to the Sun in its orbit, the warmth from the Sun heats up the frozen ices of nitrogen, methane and carbon monoxide on Pluto's surface. These ices vaporize and form a temporary atmosphere. When Pluto moves farther from the Sun, the atmosphere freezes and falls back onto Pluto's surface. " ~ from CoolCosmos

Jamie

Princess Amy likes this.
  8. sword

sword Trusted Member

Very interesting!

9. whenindoubtwhipitout

whenindoubtwhipitout Trusted.Member

I hope in my life time they discover intelligent life out there.....maybe they could run for president?

jerrilynn and jamie jackson like this.
  10. jamie jackson

Oh my ... this will likely get me into another argument (what, me?) but I happen to think that your President has done, or tried, some very good things.

So I think that you sometimes give him a hard time. I do wish that he would approve the Keystone Pipeline, though. And your joke was funny :).

Sorry, but to your main point, I too would love to be around to witness that happen ... and our next generation would see how profound such a discovery would be, I think.

Jamie

scouter_John likes this.
  11. Princess Amy

They looked at my sister and said no intelligent life there. But anyway i don't think we can be the only one's out here.

12. Princess Amy

For many of us, when Pluto was declared not a planet by the International Astronomical Union in 2006, it pulled the rug out from underneath us. So many of us learned to remember the planets in our solar system via the following sentence: My very elegant mother just served us nine pizzas. Suddenly in 2006, it became “My very elegant mother just served us nine.” Served us nine? That doesn’t make any sense! How will we ever remember the planets?
    However, just as we were beginning to purchase one less styrofoam ball for our dioramas, officials are questioning whether or not it was a smart move to kick Pluto out of The Planet Club.
    On September 18th, The Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics held a public debate to address the definition of planet. The debate included Dr. Gareth Williams, the associate director of the Minor Planet Center, Dr. Dimitar Sasselov, director of the Harvard Origins of Life Initiative, and Dr. Owen Gingerich, a science historian who previously headed the IAU planet definition committee.
    According to the IAU, in order for a celestial body to be considered a planet, it must orbit the Sun, be round and have “cleared the neighborhood” around its orbit. In 2006, Pluto was deemed a “dwarf planet” given that many Pluto-sized objects were found beyond Neptune that weren’t classified as planets. With this discovery and the discovery of exoplanets, the definition of planet has become quite vague.
    Despite being on the committee that deemed Pluto a dwarf planet, Gingerich argued that Pluto is indeed a planet and that “a planet is a culturally defined word that changes over time.”
    At the end of the debate, the audience voted on the most accurate definition of planet. Dr. Sasselov’s definition was the victor. Sasselov stated that a planet is “the smallest spherical lump of matter that formed around stars or stellar remnants.” By Sasselov’s definition, Pluto definitely qualifies as a planet.
    While the conclusion of this debate doesn’t mean Pluto is officially reinstated as a planet, it could influence the IAU to reevaluate their classifications.

pluto.jpg

13. whenindoubtwhipitout

The decision to declassify Pluto as a planet had to be made by a woman. And they are always telling us men that size does not matter......

14. Princess Amy

lol up your's.

jerrilynn and jamie jackson like this.
  15. jamie jackson

Oh, Amy, now we're talking ...

Ask 'whenindoubt' who's sister had to set up the big telescope for William Herschel to look through ?

And ask him which woman was the first to figure out that our Universe is expanding ?

Oh ... and the discovery of the DNA helix structure ... the girl lab assistant who took the notes for Watson and Crick ?

Whenindoubt, the next time that you're in doubt, don't pull it out ... look it up.

:)

Jamie

annab2 and Princess Amy like this.
  16. Princess Amy

lol

17. whenindoubtwhipitout

I am old 'nuff to know not to argue with the other sex. lol

jamie jackson, annab2 and Trishi like this.
  18. annab2

annab2 Trusted Member"It ain't pretty being easy!"

Absolutely amazing!:D

19. Grizzly Bear78

Grizzly Bear78 Trusted Member

20. buddy59

buddy59 Trusted Member

Just finished watching " 2015 The Year of Pluto" on the New Horizons website. Very interesting history of the mission. Less than a month to go!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.