1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Who uses a VPN?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gunslinger, Sep 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunslinger

Gunslinger Trusted.Member

How worth it is to have one installed?

2. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Moderator Staff Member

That really depends on how you use your computer and how important it is, to you, to hide your IP Address.
    Also there are three similar services with different levels of security and costs.
    VPN
    TOR
    Proxy​
    I have VPN but I don't use it with this forum. I use it to get around the delays between free downloads at the various hosting services. I can also use more than one computer to simultaneously download from the same host by giving each a different IP Address.

Brutus58, curiousFred and Gunslinger like this.
  3. am666

am666 Trusted Member

vpn, good

4. SecretWishes

SecretWishes Trusted.Member

Very, but also understand that if you use VPN for illegal activities, you potentially can be hit with international charges as well as local ones.

Gunslinger likes this.
  5. NataSis

NataSis Trusted.Member

I always use one, I have to to get on the Forum anyway with my country's current internet policies. It's always been worth it for me but it does depend what kind you get as some are differently priced due to different standards.

Akbloke likes this.
  6. Holy Deviant

Holy Deviant Trusted Member

I use NordVPN

7. PeterThePiper

PeterThePiper Trusted.Member

I use TOR if i am wanting additional security, and it seems to work well.

curiousFred likes this.
  8. Chochabuena

Chochabuena Trusted Member

Nord has worked fine for me.

9. Vitro13

Vitro13 Trusted.Member

Ditto. The question should be: "Who's foolish enough not to use a VPN?"

10. Gunslinger

Gunslinger Trusted.Member

thanks you all. i dont use a vpn, maybe it's time to think about it.

11. Curmudgeon

I'm on my third VPN service. The first two were unreliable . I don't remember their names. Both of them would indicate a VPN connection was active when it wasn't.

I suggest subscribing monthly at first. You can use an IP checker like www.ipaddress.com to confirm the VPN actually changed your public facing IP address.

I'm currently using Private Internet Access (PIA).

12. Jamie

Jamie Trusted Member

Agood VBN is a must-have. I use one every time im online.

13. FlawlessCowboy

FlawlessCowboy New Member

NordVPN, PIA (Private Internet Access), and the baked in service provided with BitDefender have all been serviceable for me in the past. Personally I liked Nord the best but only because I found PIA’s name a little silly. Their service was roughly on par with Nord.

I mainly only used it (outside of some testing is do for work where I’d need to pretend to be viewing sites as though I was in various EU locales to ensure ads and other media were actually being served properly) to skirt regional YouTube or Netflix blocks, and of course when using BitTorrent but I’ve moved off that completely and instead now use SSL and Usenet/SABnzbd to download whatever content I would have gotten via BitTorrent. SSL provides enough encryption, the download speeds are better, and I don’t have to worry about the VPN or its killswitch failing on me. Did cost me about $20 to get access to all the various services, open a metered Usenet account in addition to my unlimited usage one, get on with a good Indexer, but it’s hands down been the best tech change I made in the last year.

I could still toss the VPN on top of that but I feel it’s unnecessary at this point.

curiousFred likes this.
  14. joep

joep Trusted.Member

I use Hotspot Shield but only with my mobile devices on unsecure networks.

15. Heresmy2cents

Heresmy2cents Trusted Member

I mainly have my VPN for peace of mind. Depending on the service used it can be simple to complex depending on how and where you want it to be installed.

16. londonboy49

londonboy49 Trusted.Member

I use avast.

Akbloke likes this.
  17. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

All of what is being said is Greek or ancient Egyptian to me. I am computer illiterate. Where can I go to find out what any/all of this means.

18. Curmudgeon

Go to wikipedia.org and look up ...

Virtual Private Network (VPN)
    The Onion Router (Tor)
    Proxy Server (Proxy)

Son4mother and Brutus58 like this.
  19. Akbloke

Akbloke Ex Pig-Fixer "Videmus Agamis"

Yes, I also use a VPN. Absolutely have to to get onto this forum, as where I am, and where I was previously, the countries block all access to such Forums. I have used a couple of different ones in the past, but the one I'm using currently is Windscibe. It has been very good so far, and I get a renewed 10 Gig every month, and that has been quite sufficient so far. I can upgraded it if I need to.

Cheers everyone.

Brutus58 likes this.
  20. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

Thank you very much for the info!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.