1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Female Genital Mutilation ... In the US!

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by TheFamilyNudist, Aug 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheFamilyNudist

TheFamilyNudist Trusted.Member

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    curiousFred, Akbloke and Insp Gadget like this.
  2. TriadSibling

TriadSibling Bro/Sis Enthusiast

Last time i checked, there is nothing stopping local laws to be put in place to stop it. The government should not need to step in to tell states/counties/cities to enact laws or uphold existing federal ones.

3. SecretWishes

SecretWishes Trusted.Member

Well there was a federal law... That's what was one of the issues... The law was overturned due to how it was put together and technically taking control of the state level laws and converting them into federal jurisdiction. So the law is back in limbo (at least at the federal level)

In the meantime, since there are technically no laws specific to it, the situation falls under the "freedom of religion" sections until a medical/general public safety report can be properly regenerated and a properly formatted law that doesn't infringe on state control can be properly drafted.

curiousFred and Brutus58 like this.
  4. Insp Gadget

Insp Gadget Trusted.Member

So sick and tired of the USA importing barbaric middle eastern blood rituals into North America - first boy children now girls being mutilated - we need to have evolved from this.

5. TheFamilyNudist

Indeed the law was struck down as unconstitutional, but the Trump administration has refused to defend the law in the appeals court.

curiousFred likes this.
  6. PeterThePiper

PeterThePiper Trusted.Member

Its no consolation guys, but we have the same problem here in the UK, and had our first prosecution last month. The problem is, its such a difficult crime to bring to light, and we are reliant on schools, and medical services to be vigilant. There were calls to bring back mandatory school medical examinations , but i can't see that happening any time soon.

curiousFred likes this.
  7. SecretWishes

I understand the motivation and frustration from both sides of this matter. On one side, there is the outcry of protecting women (or anyone in any case), but due to the legal structure of the US, to enforce the law as written would violate the Constitution that was created to protect the abilities of the individual States rights. It would also create precedence for the federal government to take over state level legislation and create the beginning of the government rulings the Constitution was written to protect in the first place...

So for Trump administration to "not defend the law" is an action to protect the states themselves. The PROPER solution would be to rewrite the law so it would not create the precedence but still protect women's health. At the same time, the individual states themselves should also take some responsibility and have laws in place that do the same thing at the state level.

I find it a poor judgement on the people as a mass to blame one person and his administration for a failure of "sloppy" writing to create protection when the same protection, at least in interim, could be provided relatively quickly and relatively easily at a lower level (such as state and county levels) and not violate the Constitution and other governing laws.

To sum it up the way most media (mostly social media) has spun the whole situation, it is being short sighted and too narrowly focused at one problem and demanding only one solution when there are other options available.

I'm not happy about the situation either and I hate that such events are happening, but at the same time, I'm not going to let emotional reactions override the big picture and lose sight of alternative solutions.

That's why the legal system was created in all these layers, to ensure the possibility of protection as needed at the local level until a federal solution could be applied that does not impede any other localities rights.

So my question is: Why isn't there any protection at the local level? The other states apparently have something to protect women's health... Otherwise why go to another state to have the procedure done?

I see this as a failure mostly at the state level to protect women's health, but the blame is being shifted to a higher level because it crosses state borders. But for federal level enforcement as written, the states would have to give up their rights to make and maintain laws of their own.

8. TheFamilyNudist

Some would disagree about the unconstitutionality of the legislation, thus the reason for the appeal, but fair enough. Your points are well taken.

TFN

9. Dracoa

Dracoa Trusted.Member

Difference being, people are rightly offended when it happens to a girl, but people celebrate male genital mutilation.

Brutus58 and Insp Gadget like this.
  10. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

Didn't you guys fight a war to decide this "states rights" nonsense?

The way things are going, I would bet you're going to have another one.

:(

11. Insp Gadget

Insp Gadget Trusted.Member

Nobody among the folks I associate with celebrate either hideous act. Do they think about how many nerve endings are destroyed ? Do they not think that they are there for a reason ? It's barbarism, plain and simple - a religious relic the practice of which needs to be terminated.

12. Dracoa

Dracoa Trusted.Member

No. They don't think about it. All they care about is "so he looks like his dad", or "it's just what I like", or some other BS excuse. And it gained traction in the US because Dr. Kellog (yes, the cereal guy) didn't want boys masturbating.

curiousFred, Brutus58 and Insp Gadget like this.
  13. whitecoffee1

whitecoffee1 Moderator Staff Member

A bit out of context, but:

AFAIK, FGM is never mentioned in the bible.

14. whitecoffee1

Can we please add infant baptism to that list too?

Please? .... with sugar on top?

curiousFred, Brutus58 and pussycat like this.
  15. SecretWishes

Not exactly in these terms... The actual cause of the war was actually due to trade and economics. The states rights and slavery portions were added on later to help promote recruiting as both sides were experiencing heavy losses due to desertion. I REALLY don't want to go into a history lesson on this one... I've already written like half a dozen in these forums the last couple of days...
    [​IMG]
    Just trust me on it, okay?

There's actually medical precedence for circumcision and when you consider history, how the bias of the population(s) operated, and medical knowledge of the time, then it makes sense. (I'll put the history lesson up another time, but if you are THAT impatient, study the ACTUAL material yourself instead of going on "common knowledge"... Like "common sense" it really isn't all that common...
    So... you are saying that the government should have control over religious rites and practices? We'll just ignore Separation of Church & State... "Become part of the Pre-Protestant world once again!"

That kind of thinking is what caused many of the wars starting in the 1600s and is still a cause for war in many 3rd world countries... That and fiat based economics...

Brutus58, bigjeff and TriadSibling like this.
  16. whitecoffee1

Where did i said that?

I am against infant baptism because everyone should be able to decide which religion to follow and when they found it, which denominaton of that religion.

They mostly got baptisted before they can speak (atleast in my country), and that's why there are godparents who speak for the infant. That the equivalant of me telling you that you like to eat snakes, even though you never ate one.

Brutus58 and Insp Gadget like this.
  17. whitecoffee1

As a male I was circumcised because of phimosis. It was something that had to be done.

As for female circumcision, I don't see or find any cause that indicated a "NEED" for that. (If you have a "need", please show us)

The reasons for FGM that I know are religious, hygienical, or social.

Brutus58, Akbloke and Insp Gadget like this.
  18. Dad's toy

Dad's toy Trusted.Member

Screw the law.
    Carving up a girls vagina with a knife is just fucking wrong.

Are you so afraid of her enjoying sex you want to destroy her life?

Anybody that approves or condones this practice should be neutered. With a spoon.

toy

Brutus58, Akbloke, pussycat and 2 others like this.
  19. TriadSibling

That's still an option.
    I was baptized when I was young, but I'm not automatically a baptist or whatever. I know plenty of other people with the same story as mine, as well.

bigjeff and whitecoffee1 like this.
  20. TriadSibling

I think things are getting a bit heated, so let's all calm down.
    I think we can all agree the practice is at least undesirable, and even barbaric. I for one find it completely unnecessary and wholly unacceptable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.