1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

What's the Deal With Climate Change

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by Neophyte, Apr 25, 2019.

?

Which Climate Change Faction Do You Most Identify With

1. Alarmist

17.9%
  2. Advocate

25.6%
  3. Undecided

2.6%
  4. Skeptic

35.9%
  5. Denier

17.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

Climate Change is currently a hotly debated issue in the world today. The majority of the people in the world would be considered Climate Change Deniers, by the Climate Change Advocates. There are some which argue that Climate Change is not the problem, that the Advocates make it out to be, but the majority of the people don't really think about it or just don't care. The Climate Change Advocates are actually in the minority of the population, but they are very vocal and active beyond their minority number.

curiousFred and Brutus58 like this.
  2. Neophyte

Brutus58 likes this.
  3. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

Climate change has been happening since the end of the ice age. Have humans accelerated it? Most likely. The fact is it will happen regardless if we existed at all.

Danny Boy 1966 likes this.
  4. Danny Boy 1966

Danny Boy 1966 Trusted.Member

Exactly Brutus!! We effect it some, but not to the degree that they say we are.

5. Neophyte

The Green New Deal proposed by Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has been estimated to cost about 100 trillion dollars. I think this is an underestimate of its actual cost. Lets compare the cost of the Green New Deal with the income of all Americans. There is about 220 million workers in the United States. The mean yearly income is about 40 thousand dollars. If we multiply this out, it comes to 8.8 trillion dollars per year and over 10 years that the GND plan is suppose to occur, thats 88 trillion dollars. So in order to pay for the deal everyone in the U.S. will have to be taxed at an additional 116% to what they are already paying, so everyone will have to pay out of their pocket for the privilege of working for no income.

6. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

I don't identify with any of the choices.
    There is no doubt there is climate change that is creating situations our current society has not experienced.
    But that in no way makes it man-made.
    Climate change is real, the arctic used to be tropical (fossils prove it), and the last known ice-age was
    a mere 10k years ago. Here in Ohio we were under 1/2 to 1 mile thickness of glacial ice.
    Amazing the alarmist always fail to mention that we have been warming up for the last 10k years.

7. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

That "New Math" that was taught in school a few years ago really is working isn't it. Or is this a result of the new "Core Curriculum"? Or maybe she really IS bat shit crazy.

curiousFred, Neophyte and itshot like this.
  8. itshot

itshot Trusted.Member

I'll go with Bat Shit Crazy

Brutus58 likes this.
  9. TriadSibling

TriadSibling Bro/Sis Enthusiast

I have to wonder if this is going to be a continual cycle when it comes to taking care of the planet.
    The last major issues I heard of were the ozone concerns back in the 90s, and those were warranted.

If the data says there's a problem, then our role in its development, as well as, continued increase, if any, must be ascertained. It isn't prudent to ignore it, based on opinion alone. Last time I checked, the majority weren't scientists who could study and measure global effects.

I for one will not make guesses, I'm going to follow the facts. If scientists are saying it doesn't exist (isn't a problem), then fine. If they're saying there's a problem, then I'm going to go with their assessment, because they're the ones whose jobs it is to figure these things out. If humans are indeed making the problem worse, then we need to find a solution to that.
    There's ultimately no reason why this should be a major debate, when science is the tool being used to find out what's going on.

To clarify, my personal opinion is that there is climate change, and humans have, to some degree, contributed to the shifts in weather and temperature we're seeing today. I've seen the differences in humidity and temperature over the years, I've seen them get a lot worse, but again, this is also normal for the planet. It goes through this every couple generations.
    Yes, it could get worse. Yes, we may be involved in that process (I don't see how we couldn't be, to be honest, however minor an influence it may be). Yes, there may be a solution to reducing the variance and severity.

But science is the process to determining all of these answers, and science is ultimately where I'm going to put my trust. If science says I'm wrong; big deal, don't care, happy that I was, even.

Insp Gadget and Brutus58 like this.
  10. Neophyte

I don't want to put words in your mouth, but it seems you are inclined towards the Climate Change Skeptic. The Skeptics do agree that climate change exists, they just aren't convinced its primarily man-made.

Brutus58 and Dane like this.
  11. Neophyte

The 100 trillion dollar price tag is the generally accepted cost being brandied around by those opposed to the Green New Deal. My personal estimate is closer to 700 trillion dollars. To devote all our efforts into the GND would in my opinion utterly destroy the U.S. and by direct casual dependence the entire world. The economic fallout would leave the entire world in the stone age again.

Brutus58 likes this.
  12. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

Ok, I'll pick skeptic.

The carbon credits ( or whatever you want to call them ) is nothing more than another tax that all the governments in
    the world want to jump on the bandwagon for.
    Greed is what is destroying society. It has in the past and it will again.

5tvvd likes this.
  13. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

One thing I disagree with on one of your thoughts there is that you want to believe the scientists about climate change, but almost all of
    the opinions written about it are not by scientists, even though the media reports it so.
    Delve deeper and you'll find that most of those who have a true degree in meteorology and climatology do not claim that the change is man made
    but rather a natural cycle of the earth.

Danny Boy 1966 likes this.
  14. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

Just the crazy woman's attempt to turn us into another shit hole third world nation. Just like the one her parents fleed from.

15. TriadSibling

TriadSibling Bro/Sis Enthusiast

Climatology and Meteorology are both branches of science, anyone who holds a degree within those sciences, and have done actual research on the matter, is by definition a scientist.

Brutus58 likes this.
  16. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

I agree, that was my point, most of the alarmist do not have a degree in either field.

Danny Boy 1966 and Brutus58 like this.
  17. jillicious

jillicious Incestuous Story Writer

I really just want to see Antarctica melt so we can finally find the Beta Stargate.

Brutus58, Dane and Neophyte like this.
  18. Brass

Brass Trusted Member

I second that

19. Neophyte

Brutus58 likes this.
  20. danndduke

danndduke Trusted Member

Exactly. I see pollution a far bigger problem than climate change. Climate was changing since the beggining. I see pollution a far greater threat. The poisoning of rivers, seas, forrests. Cutting down trees to make more space to build factories, stadiums,.... and the mass dying of bees.

Valerie1 and Brutus58 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.