1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

For My Southern Neighbours

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by Insp Gadget, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Insp Gadget

Insp Gadget Trusted.Member

Okay, so putting all of the stupid politics stuff aside for the moment - tonight is truly going to be a great night for America.

(Well North America anyway, one way or the other. :))

Because tonight, the World will get to watch some of the finest ice hockey there is to be seen.

Best Teams.jpg

[​IMG]
    The USA and Canada Olympic teams play for the Women's Gold Medal tonight.

The matches between these two teams are amazing, either at the World Championships or the Olympics. They couldn't be more evenly matched, and they both play with the passion of national pride.

( Oddly, the USA dominates the World Championships, and Canada the Olympics. I say we need an international commission to investigate this. )

And the game is being played on the international ice surface, which is larger than the NHL-sized ice surface we use over here. (Sensible countries like Russia use it. :)) It makes for more creative play and emphasizes skill.

Rings.png Play.jpg

The game starts at 10pm tonight Eastern time - NBC Sports will cover it well, their announcers are superb.

And trust me, I know my hockey - for skill level and entertainment value, this game has the average NHL game beat by a mile.

So, dear neighbour - the best of luck to the gals on both sides, and may the best team win !

Brutus58 likes this.
  2. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

Dear Insp Gadget, well said!!

Insp Gadget likes this.
  3. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

Not so mysterious. For the World Championships the US can attract all the best players, for the Olympic, the players must play for the team for which they are a citizen of.

Insp Gadget likes this.
  4. curiousFred

curiousFred Trusted.Member

Not much ice here in Oz, unless you buy it in a container of various flavors. Hehehehehe.

Insp Gadget and Brutus58 like this.
  5. Insp Gadget

That's interesting, I didn't know that - it seems odd that they would be different.

Neophyte likes this.
  6. Insp Gadget

Hey, other than that it was a great game ! :D

So Congratulations, Team USA ...

[​IMG]

2018 Olympic Womens Hockey Champions !

curiousFred, Brutus58 and Zarp like this.
  7. Insp Gadget

And what better way to celebrate an ice hockey championship ?

Today is National Chili Day in the USA !

[​IMG]

Fourth Thursday in February each year,
    And you can read all about it HERE.

Brutus58 likes this.
  8. curiousFred

curiousFred Trusted.Member

I still feel sorry for the Canadian girls, they must have hurt inside.

Insp Gadget and Brutus58 like this.
  9. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

I remember a TV show called "Wide World of Sports". Part of the opening of the was a phrase "the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat". Your correct, the Canadian team is hurting. But then there's always next time.

Insp Gadget likes this.
  10. Insp Gadget

I sure hope our Health Care Program provides free grief counselling ... pretty nurses ... that medicinal stuff ... :D

Brutus58 likes this.
  11. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

Since it's a female team is, not sure about the pretty nurses. Unless they are male nurses. Then again, some of the team members may be lesbian. Just get a good mix of female and male nurses. From my experience, Scotch and wine can be medicinal!

Insp Gadget likes this.
  12. Insp Gadget

I was referring to my own grief actually, but I agree about the scotch and wine part. :D

13. Insp Gadget

And the Hockey part is only the half of it ...

Worst Day.jpg

Yes, Canada also lost the Men’s Curling semifinal, 5-3 to ... yes ... The United States.

You could almost hear as a nation cried ... " No, not again - not to Them ! Anybody but THEM !! " :D

This was not how the Gods of Curling had meant things to be, you know - Canada are those to throw the Chosen Stones. The forces of Nature must be in imbalance, I say. It's like in those stories where you wake up in the morning but it's like you're in an alternate reality or something. o_O

14. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

Insp Gadget likes this.
  15. Insp Gadget

U913.gif S1583.gif The United States plays Sweden tonight in the Gold Medal game.

[​IMG]

Sweden.jpg

The game starts early tomorrow morning Eastern time - two great skips, should be good, I plan on watching it.

16. Insp Gadget

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.